Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

TheRock wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Yes BY is a MOC favourite, but Sam is an AP standard 9. I find myself unhappy at the prospect of some club favourites going, but for years I railed about favouritism, failure to use the bench and various other aspects of the MIC era. I'm worried that there are signs of that happening again, and telling myself it's my prejudice at work. We could find ourselves with a somewhat different set of subs; just glad Boris was big enough to stay especially for Genge's sake.
You act as if the previous MOC era was so bad yet we won three premiership titles in 5 years and haven't won it since. Obviously that wasn't just down to him but surely that suggests he did a good job.

As for Sam Harrison this rumour seems to me people just guessing which players are likely to be let go after what was in TRP, so it's still highly unlikely he's going anywhere unless anyone here as some more info on this.
Basically it's based of rumours he might be going earlier this season which funny enough was when Mauger was still in charge (and maybe even cockerill) and MOC hadn't been approached yet.

Saying that i think a few players who got new contracts where lucky to get them this season and wonder if that if a new HC was in charge by then if they would of been given a new contract.

I mean who are MOC players?
Which Leinster and Reds players at his time there would be looking to move? Which Tongan players would be an upgrade?
Only players that stands out that are out of contract are Tui and Hunt.
Last edited by RagingBull on Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Amazing how rumours start. No one has even suggested that Sam Harrison is on the move, not even Fisler but somehow post after post of conjecture. The rugby paper implied that MOC might want to bring in some players, of course he does and will do when finances permit but contracts do not allow instant access to other clubs valued players or make it easy to offload those considered surplus to requirement. I am sure there will be changes and I enjoy the speculation but sometimes we go over the top trying to create facts out of nothing.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think, fully fit, we don't need to look too hard behind the scrum. If he has any ideas I would suggest they may come from the pack.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

An obvious candidate (regretfully) is Tom Croft, he must be expensive nowadays given the little game he has had over the past few years.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Crofty isn't on as much as many think anymore. He took a big pay cut for his new contract a couple of seasons ago when it was uncertain what level he could get back to. A horrendous neck injury to go with knee and should problems, it's a surprise he's still playing at all.

I hope he stays and not just for nostalgia sake either. He offers something different to our other 6 options. He may not have that same explosive pace in attack but he's still quick enough to be a very good defender. Plus his line-out work is outstanding, both in attack and defence, also in the maul as well as jumping. Those strengths across the line-out and in defence are in areas where the side needs to improve on drastically next season.

He's no longer a starter sadly after the injuries but Crofty is still an excellent squad option.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

It would be a great mistake to let Sam Harrison go, as he is more than an able deputy to Youngs and we need him when Ben goes on international duty, as I'm not a great fan of Kitto. If Sam has ambitions to further his career elsewhere then good luck to him, but I'm given to understand that he is very happy and settled at Leicester.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

One for the Rock.

MOC did not win three titles, the teams did, with Cockers in charge as well.
There were many criticisms of MOC's playbook from some of us, and it is worth pointing out that our best run came after some dire performances and a hint of player power. Flood and Smurf were very influential.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:One for the Rock.

There were many criticisms of MOC's playbook from some of us, and it is worth pointing out that our best run came after some dire performances and a hint of player power. Flood and Smurf were very influential.

Well MOC DID win three titles though.

There has been criticisms from some of every coach Tigers have had.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Maybe if you read what I said you wouldn't talk such rubbish.

At no point did I say MOC personally won three titles. I simply pointed out Tigers won three titles in 5 years whilst he was head coach.
I specifically said that it wasn't just down to him but you just chose to ignore that and criticise something I never said.
The fact that we won 3 in five years was down to the quality of players and the whole coaching staff. Saying MOC did a good job during this period does not mean he was solely responsible for our success, I was simply pointing out that based on results he was a successful head coach.

You seem to be suggesting we won in spite of MOC rather than because of him, well if that was the case then why didn't we improve rather than decline after he left?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TheRock wrote:

At no point did I say MOC personally won three titles. I simply pointed out Tigers won three titles in 5 years whilst he was head coach.
I specifically said that it wasn't just down to him but you just chose to ignore that and criticise something I never said.
The fact that we won 3 in five years was down to the quality of players and the whole coaching staff. Saying MOC did a good job during this period does not mean he was solely responsible for our success, I was simply pointing out that based on results he was a successful head coach.

You seem to be suggesting we won in spite of MOC rather than because of him, well if that was the case then why didn't we improve rather than decline after he left?
You gave the answer to the question before you asked it, in my humble opinion!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TheRock wrote:

You are quite right you said the MOC era etc ("You act as if the previous MOC era was so bad yet we won three premiership titles in 5 years and haven't won it since. Obviously that wasn't just down to him but surely that suggests he did a good job.")so I humbly apologise. :smt022
However my point was it was not the 'MOC era' but the Cockers era before that, and after (rise and fall).
My other point is that some on here and elsewhere believe he was over-rated, and it was the squad that was crucial. I have written elsewhere that a former AP and international player (not for Tigers) who had besties in the Tiger squad, predicted the decline because the players who were the best at closing out/winning tight games were leaving/retiring. His prediction was spot on, others have since said the same, and he had an opinion on MOC ('one-dimensional', 'outmoded defence') which was less complimentary than mine.
We have seen this season that a highly-motivated squad, shorn of crucial talent, can batter through despite mayhem all around them.
I intend to reserve judgement on MOC's Second Coming until next season is well underway, assuming we have more fit players than currently.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Ajcc

Post by Ajcc »

Oli Bryant Has gone to Jersey good luck to lad.

I wonder if there will be a couple of new 10's coming then as we are losing 3 fly halfs
Wes

Post by Wes »

George Ford, Joe Ford and I suspect Matt Toomua is seen as a 10/12 as he's played there for Aus.
I only live there to wind up the population!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ajcc wrote:Oli Bryant Has gone to Jersey good luck to lad.

I wonder if there will be a couple of new 10's coming then as we are losing 3 fly halfs
He just never quite stepped up did he? Hopefully it goes well at Jersey.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This is by far my favourite topic on the forum...Ragingbull puts in good work to keep this tidy and has to restart it on many occasions due to petty arguements and off topic posts that make it hard to follow....Please take these elsewhere and Tigerbeat please clear them off here so we can discuss the actual matter thanks :smt023