Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by tigercaspian »

I like Hibberd but have seen no talk of him moving on............
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote:Just wonder, as a wild guess, if we could be interested in Hibbard, we may need cover at hooker and he has come on really well this back end for Gloucs?
He's under contract so we'd have to buy out his contract and then pay him his hefty salary. I don't think we have too much salary cap kicking around for another hooker. I'd expect a Championship or project hooker to join us as third choice. McGuigan and Youngs are both good options and Thacker is capable there though more likely to feature at 7 similar with Bateman and prop.
Seal wrote:Woodward really would have been the perfect signing, shame Gloucester nabbed him. Could have filled in at 10/15/13.

I hope we can get a centre (Hurrell maybe?) that's EPQ.
Woodward was apparently the highest earner at Bristol and won't have moved on for a big salary cut. We are looking to fill out the squad so he probably won't have fit the salary profile for the players we are looking at.

I'd expect us to be looking at a prop and a hooker with development potential. We gave a trial to a former Scotland under 20s hooker from Loughborough Uni and options like that to fill in behind our experienced quality will be affordable. Another back, most likely a centre will join as someone else said either a 10/12 or a bruising ball carrier type. I would like to see Hurrell return, Bristol have a few centres signed up for next season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seal wrote:Woodward really would have been the perfect signing, shame Gloucester nabbed him. Could have filled in at 10/15/13.

Can't see Hurrell coming back.

sam16111986 wrote:
LE18 wrote:Just wonder, as a wild guess, if we could be interested in Hibbard, we may need cover at hooker and he has come on really well this back end for Gloucs?
He's under contract so we'd have to buy out his contract and then pay him his hefty salary. I don't think we have too much salary cap kicking around for another hooker. I'd expect a Championship or project hooker to join us as third choice. McGuigan and Youngs are both good options and Thacker is capable there though more likely to feature at 7 similar with Bateman and prop.

Woodward was apparently the highest earner at Bristol and won't have moved on for a big salary cut. We are looking to fill out the squad so he probably won't have fit the salary profile for the players we are looking at.

I'd expect us to be looking at a prop and a hooker with development potential. We gave a trial to a former Scotland under 20s hooker from Loughborough Uni and options like that to fill in behind our experienced quality will be affordable. Another back, most likely a centre will join as someone else said either a 10/12 or a bruising ball carrier type. I would like to see Hurrell return, Bristol have a few centres signed up for next season.
The Scotland U20's hooker (and the other loughbrough) wasn't a trail thing it was a we need someone to play 2 thing I suspect we will play Mahoney more in the A league or something.

Hurrel is staying at Bristol and I don't expect him to be coming back to Tigers.

Why bring a prop to develop if we have 2 props for development already? Balmain is on like 200k at Glous or something the price you young EQP props is pretty high.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:

The Scotland U20's hooker (and the other loughbrough) wasn't a trail thing it was a we need someone to play 2 thing I suspect we will play Mahoney more in the A league or something.

Hurrel is staying at Bristol and I don't expect him to be coming back to Tigers.

Why bring a prop to develop if we have 2 props for development already? Balmain is on like 200k at Glous or something the price you young EQP props is pretty high.
2 development props ready to cover in the first team? We've got Genge and Rizzo at LH, Cole and Cilliers, Logo and Bateman to cover both sides. Then Betts developing at TH. If Brugnara stays then fine, if he goes I don't thing we've got another development prop ready to come in and play during international/injury periods. Balmain has got a good deal at Glaws because Glaws are desperate, they've also signed Denman for next season.

I presume the Loughborough Uni boys were going to get development contracts and then dual registered to Loughborough as long as they performed at a decent level. If they'd come in and had a mare we might have looked elsewhere.

Bristol have Piatau, Lieua and Hurrell as big ball carrying centres. None of which will be cheap. An embarrassment of riches for the Championship where income is sufficiently lower.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Assuming Betts replaces Balmain as first team development TH, Hills replaces Brugnara as development LH option. Who replaces Ayerza? Yes, I know Genge has developed to become 1st choice LH, but still, who replaces Ayerza as a first team option? Must be room for one addition, even if a percentage of Ayerza's wage has been reallocated to bring in a centre, there must be money left under the cap for another prop.
Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo, Hills
Cole, Cilliers, Bateman, Betts
I'm not sure how much faith I have in those players staying fit, based on history.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:Assuming Betts replaces Balmain as first team development TH, Hills replaces Brugnara as development LH option. Who replaces Ayerza? Yes, I know Genge has developed to become 1st choice LH, but still, who replaces Ayerza as a first team option? Must be room for one addition, even if a percentage of Ayerza's wage has been reallocated to bring in a centre, there must be money left under the cap for another prop.
I'm not sure how much faith I have in those players staying fit, based on history.
Hills showed potential a while ago but has been beset by injury. Can we rely upon him to bounce back and play next season?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:Assuming Betts replaces Balmain as first team development TH, Hills replaces Brugnara as development LH option. Who replaces Ayerza? Yes, I know Genge has developed to become 1st choice LH, but still, who replaces Ayerza as a first team option? Must be room for one addition, even if a percentage of Ayerza's wage has been reallocated to bring in a centre, there must be money left under the cap for another prop.
Considering Mulipola was out for the season he will be like a new replacement for Marcos (from what I have heard his op went extremely well).

You can't get like for like replacements some would say we have been carrying to many props already really.

I don't see how bringing a project prop will help in the confidence department? For every Genge there is a Sio in terms of making it so why not give a academy prop a shot at least. IF we have another major injury crisis look for a Aguero type to cover with the injury fund.

I mean it's easy saying try to find a young Georgia prop or something but a lot of young foreign props are already tapped up by French teams.

I mean people acting like Brugnara was experianced in the Prem he isn't really I mean he is back in our development squad and has been on loan to loughborough students. Glous are like every other bottom 6 teams desperate for props and are mostly looking at Prem 3rd/4th choices.

Sam Bristol are loaded they will keep all those centers championship or not.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:
Considering Mulipola was out for the season he will be like a new replacement for Marcos (from what I have heard his op went extremely well).

You can't get like for like replacements some would say we have been carrying to many props already really.

I don't see how bringing a project prop will help in the confidence department? For every Genge there is a Sio in terms of making it so why not give a academy prop a shot at least. IF we have another major injury crisis look for a Aguero type to cover with the injury fund.

I mean it's easy saying try to find a young Georgia prop or something but a lot of young foreign props are already tapped up by French teams.

I mean people acting like Brugnara was experianced in the Prem he isn't really I mean he is back in our development squad and has been on loan to loughborough students. Glous are like every other bottom 6 teams desperate for props and are mostly looking at Prem 3rd/4th choices.

The owner(s) are loaded not Bristol rugby. If he decides to cut back the budget for the Championship and lessen the loss he will have to subsidise then that's what will happen. Bristol no longer need to hoard AP level players because there is no playoffs, they'll be able to plan much further in advance.

It's not about experience at prop, it's about the physical maturity. Some young guys like Betts are physically developed enough to play top level domestic rugby and some aren't. Some lads need a little longer and more loan time. Brugnara isn't a high quality player but we know he's big and strong enough to step in and play. Agree that project players aren't a sure thing but it's worth a punt when it comes to prop.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

The owner(s) are loaded not Bristol rugby. If he decides to cut back the budget for the Championship and lessen the loss he will have to subsidise then that's what will happen. Bristol no longer need to hoard AP level players because there is no playoffs, they'll be able to plan much further in advance.

It's not about experience at prop, it's about the physical maturity. Some young guys like Betts are physically developed enough to play top level domestic rugby and some aren't. Some lads need a little longer and more loan time. Brugnara isn't a high quality player but we know he's big and strong enough to step in and play. Agree that project players aren't a sure thing but it's worth a punt when it comes to prop.
Have you not seen who they have signed for next season?
Madigan and Luatua will not be cheap, Bristol are not cutting the budget.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

According to Fissler in todays Rugby paper MOC is wanting to bring in his own player and to do so he might have to cull some current players.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:According to Fissler in todays Rugby paper MOC is wanting to bring in his own player and to do so he might have to cull some current players.
Smith and Croft most likely targets IMO as well as academy upgrades (famous quote 'I coach the 1st team'). See several releases coming, and I bet at least one will enrage fans.
Guess I wasn't keen on the old issues creeping back clearly at Wuss especially the emergence of the repeated non-threatening circle ball. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jgriffin wrote:
RagingBull wrote:According to Fissler in todays Rugby paper MOC is wanting to bring in his own player and to do so he might have to cull some current players.
Smith and Croft most likely targets IMO as well as academy upgrades (famous quote 'I coach the 1st team'). See several releases coming, and I bet at least one will enrage fans.
Guess I wasn't keen on the old issues creeping back clearly at Wuss especially the emergence of the repeated non-threatening circle ball. :smt009
God I hope your not referring to Sam Harrison
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Who knows it could be Fissler :censored: though as he uses pretty vague wording using the words Might, May and Could.

In the development squad I could see us releasing a few at least.
Brugnara, Bryant and Owen.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I had wondered if Croft would carry on. Mapapalangi to replace him in the squad?
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

looking at players we could sign whose clubs are still in competition, Samu Vunisa has been announced as leaving Sarries this summer and hasn't been announced as signing for any other club.
Given other clubs have been announcing signings as and when they make them then that suggests he either hasn't found a club of he has signed for a team who doesn't want to announce it which could be tigers.
Would certainly fit the mould of a big ball carrying 8.