Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Will S »

Everyone keeps saying we need a quality backup at 10 and centre. If I were a promising 10 or centre I would only go to a club where I had a decent chance of forcing myself into the starting team (I certainly wouldn't go to a club where I needed an injury to get any game time as whilst our centres had an injury plagued season this year it is quite possible they don't next).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We are horribly thin at 12 and perilous at 10. Joe Ford may be able to step up, he hasn't however been better than Championship in his career so far. So let's look at the scenario where To'omua gets an injury and Ford is with England, we are scuffling straight away. Or perhaps the preseason gives Manu and/or To'omua niggles, so we start the season in a centre-less state.....MOC has highlighted this area so I assume, given his backs coaching focus, he will attempt to remedy this by offloading several more players and probably already bidding/attracting a couple of promising talents. I hope so.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote:We are horribly thin at 12 and perilous at 10. Joe Ford may be able to step up, he hasn't however been better than Championship in his career so far. So let's look at the scenario where To'omua gets an injury and Ford is with England, we are scuffling straight away. Or perhaps the preseason gives Manu and/or To'omua niggles, so we start the season in a centre-less state.....MOC has highlighted this area so I assume, given his backs coaching focus, he will attempt to remedy this by offloading several more players and probably already bidding/attracting a couple of promising talents. I hope so.
I agree, lets hope there is more to come, another 6, is that really needed? we haven't been able to play all of the ones we have another 7 would have been better, IMHO
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BallsofaTiger

Post by BallsofaTiger »

:smt006 Not sure where the Napolioni Nalaga rumour has came from, we couldn't afford him at the moment and he has signed for London Irish. :smt013
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Chobbsy wrote:
jgriffin wrote:We are horribly thin at 12 and perilous at 10. Joe Ford may be able to step up, he hasn't however been better than Championship in his career so far. So let's look at the scenario where To'omua gets an injury and Ford is with England, we are scuffling straight away. Or perhaps the preseason gives Manu and/or To'omua niggles, so we start the season in a centre-less state.....MOC has highlighted this area so I assume, given his backs coaching focus, he will attempt to remedy this by offloading several more players and probably already bidding/attracting a couple of promising talents. I hope so.
I agree, lets hope there is more to come, another 6, is that really needed? we haven't been able to play all of the ones we have another 7 would have been better, IMHO
If...if...if. What about the other (whispers...positive) scenario...what if there are no injuries and we have a whole season on Youngs, Ford, Toomua, Tuilagi, JPP, Thompstone, Veainu.....ok, some will disappear for International duty but why not stick Catchpole in there to see how he copes ? Saracens and Exeter have successfully brought through players from their Academy who are now above average players so why can't we, instead of shuffling the pack to bring someone from overseas. It's a different conversation admittedly.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

westwinds31 wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:
If...if...if. What about the other (whispers...positive) scenario...what if there are no injuries and we have a whole season on Youngs, Ford, Toomua, Tuilagi, JPP, Thompstone, Veainu.....ok, some will disappear for International duty but why not stick Catchpole in there to see how he copes ? Saracens and Exeter have successfully brought through players from their Academy who are now above average players so why can't we, instead of shuffling the pack to bring someone from overseas. It's a different conversation admittedly.
Exeter and Sarries have brought them through, but at a trickle, they have slowly fed them in to the team amongst outstanding players which has let them grow and develop, not by putting them straight in to fill the roles of outstanding players due to injuries etc.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/exiles- ... n-faingaa/

Decent set of signings for Irish with Petrus Du Plessis (Saracens), Napolioni Nalaga (Lyon), Luke McLean (Treviso) and Saia Fainga’a (Brumbies)
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JackFlashJonny wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/news/exiles- ... n-faingaa/

Decent set of signings for Irish with Petrus Du Plessis (Saracens), Napolioni Nalaga (Lyon), Luke McLean (Treviso) and Saia Fainga’a (Brumbies)
I am green with envy :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/news/exiles- ... n-faingaa/

I am green with envy :smt010
I don't know why, Du Plessis, Mclean and Fainga'a are hardly epic signings and whilst Nalaga is a awesome player he is 31, guarantee if we signed any of these people would have complained
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

So Ryan, J Ford, Kalamafoni (30 next year) are all epic signings?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo wrote:So Ryan, J Ford, Kalamafoni (30 next year) are all epic signings?
Not saying that, just meant I don't think their signings are any better than ours, especially if your looking to the future
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote:So Ryan, J Ford, Kalamafoni (30 next year) are all epic signings?
No but they are on par with those signings.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

To be fair Luke Mclean would of been good for us due to his versatility from 12-15 and surely he wasn't on much in Italy...
Flash

Post by Flash »

The signings aren't that bad. J Ford is a clear second choice, he'll know that and hopefully he'll be able to do a job - plus he's a good target for someone like Hardwick to set his sights on to overtake. Ryan seems like the type of person we've been missing in the back row on occasion. Kalamafoni can be a big ball carrier we need and Holmes will likely improve and could be better value in the squad than Betham.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Flash wrote:The signings aren't that bad. J Ford is a clear second choice, he'll know that and hopefully he'll be able to do a job - plus he's a good target for someone like Hardwick to set his sights on to overtake. Ryan seems like the type of person we've been missing in the back row on occasion. Kalamafoni can be a big ball carrier we need and Holmes will likely improve and could be better value in the squad than Betham.
Unfortunately they can't be good signings because JackFlashJonny isn't excited by them.