Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Robespierre »

Grimlish wrote:If the model is the GF/FB swap, I'd like Mr Fofana please! :smt031
The jungle telegraph says that he's bound for Montpellier where his former coach at Clermont, Vern Cotter will be next season
Semper in excretia
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

johnthegriff wrote:During the past season I have read many posts on this forum complaining that our team is not good enough compared to other top teams. Many of the same posters now seem to be suggesting that we should now be signing better players without releasing existing ones, that is just not possible.
We have a new coach, he has been given the opportunity to see our squad in action in meaningful games and hopefully has identified where in his opinion we fall short of ideal and can make changes before next season.
I regret some of the departures particularly Owen and Freddie but I am glad to see George Ford returning. Roberts and Balmain needed to leave to get first team rugby, they were unlikely to replace the players ahead of them in the pecking order at Leicester, good luck to them. Peter Betham arrived as a wing/fullback played really well at centre but has not really made earned a starting position because of Adam Thompstone's consistent performances and competition from first Nicky Goneva and Telusa and now JP. I believe George Catchpole can be a very useful member of our squad, the 2015/16 season should have been his breakthrough year but glandular fever hampered him. Last season he showed well in a couple of matches but picked up bad injuries, next season could be make or break for him.
We all know of four players coming in, I await with interest the announcements of what I believe could be two, more. MOC will be judged by achievements next season with no excuse that he was stuck with the squad he inherited.
I couldn't agree with this more John well said..I don't think we will get where we need to be next season but hopefully the season after we will...we do not have enough quality especially in the back row to compete at the very top for me but hopefully I can be proved wrong!
benj98

Post by benj98 »

Judging by twitter we are due some announcements today
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Yep Tigers Twitter feed is letting us know its going to be a popcorn day, it had better be tasty!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Not wishing to be too gloomy, I'm guessing any announcements today are likely to just confirm what we already know about Kalamafoni and the two Fords.

I have my fingers crossed though that there is a special announcement of some one really special joining us that we haven't already heard about.

Please let it be good . . . . . . please let it be good . . . . . please let it be good . . . . .

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I was wondering if MOC might have done a U turn on Kalamafoni and may be targeting a bigger name?
Just thinking...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Maidman wrote:Not wishing to be too gloomy, I'm guessing any announcements today are likely to just confirm what we already know about Kalamafoni and the two Fords.

I have my fingers crossed though that there is a special announcement of some one really special joining us that we haven't already heard about.

Please let it be good . . . . . . please let it be good . . . . . please let it be good . . . . .

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
GF confirmed already only his bro, kalamafoni and holmes already known but not yet confirmed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kalamafoni confirmed.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote:Kalamafoni confirmed.
1 down a minimum of 2 to go.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Back to the centre debate, the issue is, what happens if Manu gets back to his best and is injury free and he's with England, along with Ford and Ben Youngs. That leaves Toomua and one from Smith, Tait or Catchpole/Thacker. It doesn't look good, as presumably Toomua may be asked to play 10 or the other Ford could step in leaving Toomua at 12. I'd argue that we haven't had a settled 12/13 partnership since Allen/Tuilagi back in whenever it was. You could even say that we haven't replaced Daryl Gibson, who was superb in the inside centre berth. There again, they don't grow on trees. Of note, Barritt has been key to Sarries success, along with Duncan Taylor, Wasps have had Gopperth at 12 for most of the season and Exeter have done pretty well with a combination of Dollman, Whitten and Devoto. I too am hoping that it's true that Eastmond is looking at going back to the 13 man game - Warrington I saw mentioned somewhere. But the point is, whilst there is a list of names in most positions that I'd like to see at Tigers, at 12 & 13, there are many names that spring to mind, aside from SBW.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I guess MOC will be announced soon too!!

:smt046 Sarcasm...

I hope there is somebody we didn't know about 4 months ago...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

joe Ford and Jonah Holmes now announced.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

All 3 down now, who if anyone is to come??
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

One more signing to come!!!!!!!!