Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by POSTIGER »

I'm curious to see how our pioneering 'centre-less' line-up will fair next season.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

POSTIGER wrote:I'm curious to see how our pioneering 'centre-less' line-up will fair next season.
Guessing currently if you wanted a non centre, centre partnership we would go:
12) Tait
13) JPP
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Well it's a sad day when we can no longer hold onto good players like Peter Betham. I don't know if the constraints of the salary cap or through some other reason, but the days when players wanted to play for the Tigers and stay with the Tigers seem to be fast disappearing. Let's hope it's not the salary cap and we have another announcement in the offing i.e. a quality replacement.
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

hi all, so have i got this right, of the 15 players that started against Wasps and sooo nearly got us to the final five have now left the club to be replaced by.....erm oh yes George Ford. He's going to be a busy boy.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Noddy555 wrote:Well it's a sad day when we can no longer hold onto good players like Peter Betham. I don't know if the constraints of the salary cap or through some other reason, but the days when players wanted to play for the Tigers and stay with the Tigers seem to be fast disappearing. Let's hope it's not the salary cap and we have another announcement in the offing i.e. a quality replacement.
Tigers let him go.
sebco wrote:hi all, so have i got this right, of the 15 players that started against Wasps and sooo nearly got us to the final five have now left the club to be replaced by.....erm oh yes George Ford. He's going to be a busy boy.
Why not wait to see what the squad looks like at the start of next season.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I will wait, in hope. By then of course it's too late if it all goes pearshaped
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

sebco wrote:hi all, so have i got this right, of the 15 players that started against Wasps and sooo nearly got us to the final five have now left the club to be replaced by.....erm oh yes George Ford. He's going to be a busy boy.
Think you mean 23 not 15 & how many of those would be in most peoples starting line up without injuries?
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

Think you mean 23 not 15 & how many of those would be in most peoples starting line up without injuries?[/quote]

yes of course and i forgot Fraser Balmain.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Add in Tait who I am afraid is well past his sell bye date..
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

What? Clearly not! Betham will be replaced. Kyle Eastmond is one name which has been mentioned.

Just because it has been announced that five players are leaving with no incoming announcements, doesn't mean they won't be replaced.

Everyone just calm the hell down, relax, be patient and there will be some new players announced soon. Why does everything have to be announced urgently?!
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

ellis9 wrote:Everyone just calm the hell down, relax, be patient and there will be some new players announced soon. Why does everything have to be announced urgently?!
Yes: calm down, dears. It's just a commercial... you have been told!
:smt005
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

L Smith wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Everyone just calm the hell down, relax, be patient and there will be some new players announced soon. Why does everything have to be announced urgently?!
Worried now, is ellis9 Simon Cohen? :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

sapajo wrote:
L Smith wrote:
Worried now, is ellis9 Simon Cohen? :smt002
I would hope Simon Cohen isn't that much of a plonker but then again after this year I don't know...decent attempt to hide under a veil of idiocy if true though :smt003

People should calm down though..Betham was on more than his performances warranted imo and hopefully the centres issue will be resolved..lets just hope it is not Eastmond :smt009
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

During the past season I have read many posts on this forum complaining that our team is not good enough compared to other top teams. Many of the same posters now seem to be suggesting that we should now be signing better players without releasing existing ones, that is just not possible.
We have a new coach, he has been given the opportunity to see our squad in action in meaningful games and hopefully has identified where in his opinion we fall short of ideal and can make changes before next season.
I regret some of the departures particularly Owen and Freddie but I am glad to see George Ford returning. Roberts and Balmain needed to leave to get first team rugby, they were unlikely to replace the players ahead of them in the pecking order at Leicester, good luck to them. Peter Betham arrived as a wing/fullback played really well at centre but has not really made earned a starting position because of Adam Thompstone's consistent performances and competition from first Nicky Goneva and Telusa and now JP. I believe George Catchpole can be a very useful member of our squad, the 2015/16 season should have been his breakthrough year but glandular fever hampered him. Last season he showed well in a couple of matches but picked up bad injuries, next season could be make or break for him.
We all know of four players coming in, I await with interest the announcements of what I believe could be two, more. MOC will be judged by achievements next season with no excuse that he was stuck with the squad he inherited.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TBH I would like to see better centres as back-up to our two 'legends of the medical room'. The one thing I don't want to see is any dilution of our pack - nay, if there are to be replacements, I want big guns! The forwards got us where we were, within a hairs-breadth of the final, being largely effective at rucks and wrecking many opposing scrums.
Big guns I say! :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.