Did the timings of today's matches affect the semifinals?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Did the timings of today's matches affect the semifinals?

Post by scrum1/2 »

Exeter won today with a 5 pointer, some 15 minutes before the end of the Wasps v Sarries game. At that time Wasps needed 2 more tries to end up top and without them scoring these then Sarries would have come back to play Wasps in the semifinals. Obviously both teams would have been aware of the Exeter result so there was the possibility of this affecting the result between them- how was this allowed in such a key game??
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Did the timings of today's matches affect the semifinals

Post by strawclearer »

I heard the decision to delay was taken by a third party on the grounds of public safety. Can't corroborate but, if true, safety must take priority.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Yes that is what was reported by Premiership Rugby on Twitter.

The Ricoh is an absolute joke when it nears capacity.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Lucky for us then.. think of all that petrol money saved...
scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by scrum1/2 »

Didn't know that but it still raises questions and perhaps some conspiracy theories around how/why this happened
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

fortysix wrote:Lucky for us then.. think of all that petrol money saved...
+1
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Not as much as Sarries picking half a side did
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

scrum1/2 wrote:Didn't know that but it still raises questions and perhaps some conspiracy theories around how/why this happened
To be fair, even if they'd kicked off at the same time, Wasps would probably still have been pushing for the 4th try, knowing that would guarantee them the 'easier'* semi-final. However, any suspicion of dodgy behaviour could have been avoided by delaying all the matches....

*sorry, hate to say it, but this year the table doesn't lie :smt022
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No I don't think so. The fact that the Wasps Sarries match was unavoidably delayed
through safety reasons wouldn't have affected our match at Worcester and Exeter away at Gloucester. It was interesting though how the play off scenario kept changing, at one point it looked as though we were heading for Sandy Park only to end up back at the Ricoh,
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

chris111 wrote:
scrum1/2 wrote:Didn't know that but it still raises questions and perhaps some conspiracy theories around how/why this happened
To be fair, even if they'd kicked off at the same time, Wasps would probably still have been pushing for the 4th try, knowing that would guarantee them the 'easier'* semi-final. However, any suspicion of dodgy behaviour could have been avoided by delaying all the matches....

There will be nothing easy for wasps on the 20th. The Tigers nearly did them last visit gifting them a 3 try start. Their win yesterday was hard work for them against a 1/2 Sarries side. The scoreline flattered them. Tigers will meet Sarries at HQ come the 27th!! :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

You're right that the scoreline flattered wasps, neither team played well though - I'd rather play Wasps than Saracens tbh.

As for the delay, we were bundled in the south stand which turned out to be the football away end, so couldn't get anywhere, but when we heard it was being delayed at 3:50 we were just heading to the seats - someone said there were big queues outside but the seats were pretty full by that point, and there was no-one coming through the turnstiles. There was however a massive queue at the bars where we were, so that could be it.

It did seem a bit fishy at the time, but i don't think it really affected anything.

Bring on the 20th.
#48 FTW :)
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerCam wrote:
chris111 wrote:

There will be nothing easy for wasps on the 20th. The Tigers nearly did them last visit gifting them a 3 try start. Their win yesterday was hard work for them against a 1/2 Sarries side. The scoreline flattered them. Tigers will meet Sarries at HQ come the 27th!! :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
I also think we have a chance - I said "easier" not "easy"! Wasps will still start favourites and if they recapture their early/mid-season form I don't think we currently have a defensive set-up to live with them. However, there's no doubt that they've faded in the last month or so - and Tigers have gone up a notch.

On current form we can definitely edge it upfront, but will still need to hit our absolute best everywhere else. It's always difficult trying to objectively assess your own team's chances, so looking at bookie's odds* is a reasonable way of getting a reality check. So far I've seen us at 9/2, Wasps at 1/4 - and this feels about right.

*we are 14/1 to win the final....
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

chris111 wrote: *sorry, hate to say it, but this year the table doesn't lie :smt022
A number of posters on here must be thinking they're looking at the table upside down as Tigers could not possibly be in the top half.

With just about everything that could go wrong going wrong this season, fourth is a pretty decent performance. Hopefully Tigers can now get their act together and get back to where they belong.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

IMO Waynetta affected the result of the Wasps match more than the late kick off.
Allowing Wade's try to take place with a clear Wasps infringement earlier in the move was an error that has ultimately decided the play offs.
Waynetta's explanation to Sarries players at the time was his old favourite "if I didn't see it then I can't give it"!
IMO Sarries looked like they were starting to take control before that try.
Waynetta is so slow moving, is not the most alert to where it matters and gets himself in very poor positions, I reckon if a team were smart enough they could plan their entire attack around him, IMO Wasps buzzed a few moves off him yesterday!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

In a word No. as others have said, Wasps always knew they needed 4 tries. So much for some Wasps fans I heard saying they wanted Saracens at home in the SF. With 15 mins to go they could have ensured that as they knew the Exeter result so no more tries and the win would have ensured Saracens at home.