Premiership Rugby on Channel 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Premiership Rugby on Channel 5

Post by ellis9 »

5 games and a Sunday night highlights show will be on Channel 5 next season.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/li ... itive-bid/
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby on Channel 5

Post by Noddy555 »

This is good new Any deal which puts Rugby Union on a Freeview channel only serves to increase interest in the game.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I'll just have to stick with my 80 live AP games a year I'm afraid.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The five games are simulcast on BT and Channel 5, so it isn't one against the other. Premiership rugby being live on terrestrial is a huge deal though.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I suspect it suits BT well in that it wets the appetite and hopefully gets them more subscriptions in the longer term :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

The five games are for the whole season, I hope that many don't think that is five is per week! Also don't BT already do a similar number of free view games a season, I know that isn't terrestrial but it's still free.

There is also a highlight show on ITV with Durdan-Smith and Bayfield/Flatman, arguably if the new show replaces this, could be argued a downgrade move to a smaller channel?

Look behind the headline and it feels a bit smoke and mirrors, the only difference is the terrestrial bit. I think I will stick to my BT subscription. It is good that the sport gets this exposure and any this may whet appetites to subscribe to the full BT package, but the story does need to be viewed pragmatically.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes, I think we all realise it's 5 games over the season!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

grobyman wrote:The five games are for the whole season, I hope that many don't think that is five is per week! Also don't BT already do a similar number of free view games a season, I know that isn't terrestrial but it's still free.

There is also a highlight show on ITV with Durdan-Smith and Bayfield/Flatman, arguably if the new show replaces this, could be argued a downgrade move to a smaller channel?
Until we see the new highlight show, not sure how you can argue that this is a downgrade. And so what if it is a smaller channel? Still free and UK wide.