chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Saints in the Soup

Post by chris111 »

tigercaspian wrote:
chris111 wrote:
Bunchy wrote:Ayerza cap money spent on existing front row strengthening

My Stains friends are telling me the fans are so unhappy that no changes are being muted even. The talk of West and senior players not getting on gets ever louder, and the relaxed attitude to defeats also not going down well.
I may be in a minority here, as I know it's supposed to be in the Tiger DNA to revel in any misfortune that befalls Saints - but I actually want to see a return to the days when Tigers v Saints was the big game of the year. Two 'old school' clubs at the top of the tree, the East Midlands as the centre of the English rugby universe - and no sign of cash-rich franchises roaming the land and hoovering up the talent and the headlines!

I don't believe that sacking coaches is automatically an effective response to a bad period, but it does seem that Saints been stagnating for several years now. Their approach to the game feels very dated, yet the Mallinder/West response has seemed to be to persist with "more of the same".

At least Tigers have tried to evolve (I'll leave it to other threads to thrash out whether or not it has been (or will be) a success!), and this demonstrates the sort of ambition that will attract new players and keep current ones interested in staying. For Saints, however, I can't imagine many players looking for new clubs seeing them as a first choice whilst the coaching set up and playing style remains as it is. I also wonder how many of their current squad might be thinking there would be more exciting options elsewhere...
It's a question of balance, isn't it ? At Tigers we have done something about it and await the outcome: too soon for some, too late for others.

At Bath, Ford was dumped like a hot potato after a successful season + having the Burgess fiasco to deal with. I really think he should have been given another Burgess-free season.

At Saints, you might be able to make the case that they have hung on too long and that the lack of change has led to a staleness ? I wouldn't say the signings of Matfield and Picamoles indicate a lack of ambition though.
Agree on all counts. I take your point about Picamoles particularly - but I'm not sure if he was making the decision right now he'd opt for Saints again. I wonder also if, for different reasons, George North might not have itchy feet; having gone to FG for what should be his peak years as a player, he looks to me like he's treading water.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I know 420,000 reasons he would opt for Saints again if given the choice now...

They blew everyone else completely out of the water with that offer..
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Neil Fissler reporting Picamoles leaving at end of season. Link here for those who need such things

https://twitter.com/neilfissler/status/ ... 2845851648
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Latecomer wrote:Neil Fissler reporting Picamoles leaving at end of season. Link here for those who need such things

https://twitter.com/neilfissler/status/ ... 2845851648
Well - if he goes what price on Saints in a relegation scrap next year?! They've had a poor season, but a fair few of their better results were in no small part due to Picamoles dragging them over the line.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

7th is a poor return, I really hope Gloucester win in Europe next Friday, obviously because they are an English club playing a French club, but with the added bonus of definitely confirming Saints to the UEFA Cup next year (or whatever it's called). :smt003
Soggypitch
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

One of Northampton's weakest player must be Kieran Brookes who did not last long at Tigers, having been bent double by Gengie, penalised & substituted v Tigers.
Well on Saturday he was toasted by Joe Marler and fell foul of the Referee too.
Perhaps Marler too asked him "How on earth he played for England?"
The high ticket prices at the Gardens have not helped the team progress this year into Europe and West must be under the microscope too.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!