JPP

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BengalTiger

Re: JPP

Post by BengalTiger »

I have been a little underwhelmed by JPP, he is good but seems to be doing everything at 80%, OK so 80% of classic JPP should be enough but there seems to be a little reluctance in everything he does.
He is still a very good player but maybe reaching the end of the journey, if the hunger is only for pay that is the wrong hunger.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks Bengal Tiger as that is my point. He is a very talented player who I would have in my match day squad. My worry is that against a fired up Worcester next week that we need him to also show some of Thomo's aggressive defence and willingness to put in 100 %. Just me being nervous about next week especially if we have so many injuries and have to rest Cole and Youngs. I thought as we were out of Europe early Cole and Youngs would be ok until the end of the season! Worcester presents a huge task but if we don't beat them then we won't compete in the semis anyway. I have been to all the semis but this year would, with our injuries, be worried about squad depth!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerCam wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Don't know what player some of you have been watching...

Okay, he's a touch off the pace he had in his prime, but he's total class. Just makes good decisions and has time on the ball.
Yep. He quietly gets on with his business. He draws defenders (x2 in the set up to Roberts try) and very few players can read the game like he did to pick off his intercept in the second half.

I think some people think we'd signed Bryan Habana! :smt003
He is better than BH - IMO
Agreed - I think some people thought he'd be a Billy Whizz like Habana! :smt003
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I agree with Ian and Bengal, as I wrote on another thread, he is a great player, gives the impression though that he is playing at 80%, doing just enough, I am sure we need him to put in more!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

JPP may have only lost a little of his speed but his ball handling skills need serious attention. Against the Sharks he knocked on 7 times and spilled another couple of passes, Not good enough for a star player.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Noddy555 wrote:JPP may have only lost a little of his speed but his ball handling skills need serious attention. Against the Sharks he knocked on 7 times and spilled another couple of passes, Not good enough for a star player.
Admittedly without rewatching, I'm going to call wrong on that.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:JPP may have only lost a little of his speed but his ball handling skills need serious attention. Against the Sharks he knocked on 7 times and spilled another couple of passes, Not good enough for a star player.
Given the availability of a good deal of Tigers' 'star players' of late, JPP knocks them into a cocked hat.

On a more serious note, JPP is a very languid runner, that may sometimes give the impression he's not operating at pace, or with 'hunger'.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Darc Tiger wrote:
Admittedly without rewatching, I'm going to call wrong on that.
Same. I watched the whole match again last night and the only obvious one I remember was the obvious one that came off his shoulder (much to Mike Phillips' amusement) in the second half. He also isn't helped by forwards nicking ball inside of him, as Kitchener did with his first half juggling act.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Ian Cant wrote:Worcester presents a huge task but if we don't beat them then we won't compete in the semis anyway.
If by compete, you mean we won't be in the semis, then there are perfectly realistic ways that we can lose and be in the semi - Bath win with no BP, we lose but get a BP, or we both get a BP but our points difference (+68 or so better than Bath's) sees us through.

I would agree if you meant that if we cannot beat Wuss away, then we are unlikely to be competitive in the semis.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote:
Given the availability of a good deal of Tigers' 'star players' of late, JPP knocks them into a cocked hat.

On a more serious note, JPP is a very languid runner, that may sometimes give the impression he's not operating at pace, or with 'hunger'.
That is a good point.
It wouldn't be the first time talent was misunderstood.
He has a few miles on the clock and will not be training and playing as intensely as when an international regular but his class is obvious.
That said some would still prefer a workhorse to a thoroughbred.
If Tigers are to win the Premiership though then IMO they will need JPP to contribute something special, there is no way that anything less is getting past Saracens!
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

JPP looks slower than he is!

Like Scott Hamilton, he has an elegant, long, rangey stride that has an effortless feel.
And Tom Varndell, the most prolific Try scorer in Prem history, was often deemed tackle shy.

Yes, I think JPP needs to concentrate more, but he also has other wonderful ball skills, such as the delightful little kick through he put in on Saturday.

I'd keep him ... I'd buy him a pot of Copydex to apply to his hands before each Half.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

JPP is a quality defender and all round operator - may not have the gas of the mid 20's model, but his awareness and defence, especially against big wingers like North vs Saints is immense. A real presence....
Less is more....
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

He is very intelligent and aware. His ability to stop/slow down to provide himself with space is brilliant - it looks so effortless. It's good to have some brains in our backline sometimes.

One of those players who is massively underappreciated by our fans.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Iain wrote:He is very intelligent and aware. His ability to stop/slow down to provide himself with space is brilliant - it looks so effortless. It's good to have some brains in our backline sometimes.

Given the number of positive comments on this thread, I would say that he is quite widely appreciated here.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Iain wrote:He is very intelligent and aware. His ability to stop/slow down to provide himself with space is brilliant - it looks so effortless. It's good to have some brains in our backline sometimes.

Given the number of positive comments on this thread, I would say that he is quite widely appreciated here.
It's impossible to assess his performance without referencing his glorious history. Some will see evidence of his pedigree in everything he does; some will question whether he lives up to the hype. For me...his quality shines through and he delivers!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives