Message for George Ford.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Message for George Ford.

Post by jgriffin »

You have very, very big shoes to try to fill. Fred is not just a top player, but a wonderful bloke and a true Tiger. :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Message for George Ford.

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote:You have very, very big shoes to try to fill. Fred is not just a top player, but a wonderful bloke and a true Tiger. :smt010
As others were walking out of the changing rooms in suits, Freddie was still on the terraces in playing kit chatting to fans. George will have to win respect off the field as well as on it but I like to think the Welford Road crowd will give him every chance and welcome him back.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Freddie Burns has come a long way at this club. How he's handled himself off the field has set himself apart and made him an unlikely fans favourite. It's a shame he'll be leaving.

I have every confidence Ford will be just as committed off the field and on it. I'm sure he'll win over the majority of fans fairly swiftly.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigers is more than a sports club, has been for a very long time now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Having read the title for this thread I was expecting a message to George of support and acceptance back into the Tigers family. George isnt a villain that has personally engineered Freddie out of the club.

A thread to thank Freddie for his service and loyalty would have perhaps been more apt given the sentiment. Gutted to see Freddie go and yesterday just rubbed salt in wounds given how well he performed and continued engagement with fans at the end.

Look forward to giving Freddie a cheer when we play Bath at WR and the Rec next season but George will have my full support regardless of charisma level. :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

tigerburnie wrote:Tigers is more than a sports club, has been for a very long time now.
So true, which was very apparent with yesterday's post match lap.

I get the feeling the Youngs brood, include the Coles and the Crofts in that, are bringing some of those values to the fore again.
Playing wise, it was good to see such aggressive defence and watching the Exeter match afterwards we are definitely on an upward curve and not that far away
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Sorry to see that Bath have vindictively denied Ford a part in today's game! Not to let a regular starting player the opportunity to say "goodbye" is beyond mean, and says a lot about the club.

I'm still mystified why Tigers should trade Freddie against his will. Another great game yesterday by a real Tiger who provides leadership, resilience, excitement and points in abundance, who will be replaced by a dour man who is flakey under pressure.
Valhalla I am coming!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I for one will welcome G.F. back to Tigers.
He was a good servant to the club and can respect moving on for career development.
He needs a strong platform which currently Tigers are developing. A good 8 would add to that.
If it is true he has hired a new kicking coach then he should benefit the club.
As a plus he knows the Tiger ideology and ethos and should be a good fit.

I understand the Burns-v-Ford debate but Freddie has been a good servant and we respect his moving on.
O.W.likewise.

So George - get your head down build confidence in closed season and produce the goodies.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Happy to see Ford return and will wait to judge him. Would have preferred to keep Fred and spend money on a forward. Toomua will add cover when fit. Tommy Bell was a great kicker, but an average player. As for Worth - great prospect - but where is he?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Freddie has really stepped it up and played a big part in lifting Leicester to where they are from a mid-season slump, I agree with the OP big boots to fill indeed!
I can understand why Bath have dropped Ford today, it's gone the opposite way to Freddie IMO.
Ford can kick and nails many of them but he just needs to get the pressure kicking monkey of his back and learn to enjoy it somehow, he could do worse than look at Freddie as an example who has shown the kind of determination Farrell shows IMO and really is more in control of his game than ever!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fleabane wrote:Sorry to see that Bath have vindictively denied Ford a part in today's game! Not to let a regular starting player the opportunity to say "goodbye" is beyond mean, and says a lot about the club.
In the words of the late Paul Daniels, "close, try again". He did get on late on in the game. And on this subject, IIRC wasn't a certain G. Murphy left out of the match day squad of the last match of his final season, the AP final! Don't remember how often he was starting at the time though.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

jgriffin wrote:You have very, very big shoes to try to fill. Fred is not just a top player, but a wonderful bloke and a true Tiger. :smt010
Could not agree more!
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Mark62 wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Tigers is more than a sports club, has been for a very long time now.

I get the feeling the Youngs brood, include the Coles and the Crofts in that, are bringing some of those values to the fore again.
Playing wise, it was good to see such aggressive defence and watching the Exeter match afterwards we are definitely on an upward curve and not that far away
Good post , Mark. Yesterday's post match lap was a fabulous if sad experience. Even from the top row of the MW stand , I felt a sadness in seeing Marcos retire and the leavers go off to pastures new.

All of them leave as better players than when they arrived but my greatest sadness is in seeing Burns leave, not because he is a 'better player' than Marcos , but because he is still growing as a player with much to contribute to his team .

Whatever , done now. Let's hope Ford comes back in GT40 form and not as Cortina.........Genge with more mental strength but more subtle wind-up skills can certainly do a job.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

tigercaspian wrote:
Mark62 wrote:

Good post , Mark. Yesterday's post match lap was a fabulous if sad experience. Even from the top row of the MW stand , I felt a sadness in seeing Marcos retire and the leavers go off to pastures new.

All of them leave as better players than when they arrived but my greatest sadness is in seeing Burns leave, not because he is a 'better player' than Marcos , but because he is still growing as a player with much to contribute to his team .

Whatever , done now. Let's hope Ford comes back in GT40 form and not as Cortina.........Genge with more mental strength but more subtle wind-up skills can certainly do a job.
Agreed. The hour following the end of the match was hugely memorable - watching the lap of honour; seeing so many stay behind to applaud the players; laughing at the antics of the players' kids out on the field, particularly the young Mulipolas and, personally, for shaking hands with and thanking Marcos, Freddie, Owen and Jack. Special day.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Hi George! The vast majority of us welcome you back to Welford Road and wish you well for the forthcoming season!!
Semper in excretia