Waynetta - too familiar??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Waynetta - too familiar??

Post by tigercaspian »

Watching Quins v Pests......... Sir calling everyone by their first names as if they're all good pals.
Not sure I like that: surely he us meant to 'distance' himself from the players?
Sorry if I'm being a fuddy-duddy but thoughts please?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Waynetta - too familiar??

Post by Mark62 »

I believe it's so players know it's them he's talking to in a ruck etc. Far easier to know it's you than roll away number 5. They still know he's in charge
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I think you will find quite a few refs do this. To be honest Barnes is, in my opinion, reffing very well. It is a shame Tigers rarely get him these days.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I couldn't care less what he calls them as long as he referees the game well, which he is.

At least he is calling them by their first names and not taking the mick out of them or their name like the thread title is.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Wow watching them tonight I hope they manage to stay top. They would be by far the easiest of the potential sides we could play in the semis. They've fallen over the cliff. Peaked too early. Sarries beat them next week and it will probably be Exeter for us which will be far harder.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I can see Wasps ending up in third place.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

drc_007 wrote:I can see Wasps ending up in third place.
Agreed. If Sarries beat Brizzle (very probable) and Exeter beat Saints (quite probable), Sarries would need to beat Wasps (probable?) to get a home semi.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

tigercaspian wrote:Watching Quins v Pests......... Sir calling everyone by their first names as if they're all good pals.
Not sure I like that: surely he us meant to 'distance' himself from the players?
Many of my views of the game would suggest to people that I'm a fuddy-duddy, but I've not seen Wayne Barnes have any difficulty maintaining order on the field. If he was using first names to try and pretend to be 'down wid the kidz' it would not work...but to me he just comes across as someone who feels comfortable with players and uses this to officiate in a way that keeps the game flowing. It seems to me that the feeling is mutual - the players respond well, because they also respect his judgement. Certainly very few players chance their arm with Barnes....and those that do soon find out there's only going to be one winner! In my opinion he's certainly the best in England at the moment and probably a contender for best in the world. I'd love to see him at WR week in, week out.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chris111 wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:Watching Quins v Pests......... Sir calling everyone by their first names as if they're all good pals.
Many of my views of the game would suggest to people that I'm a fuddy-duddy, but I've not seen Wayne Barnes have any difficulty maintaining order on the field. If he was using first names to try and pretend to be 'down wid the kidz' it would not work...but to me he just comes across as someone who feels comfortable with players and uses this to officiate in a way that keeps the game flowing. It seems to me that the feeling is mutual - the players respond well, because they also respect his judgement. Certainly very few players chance their arm with Barnes....and those that do soon find out there's only going to be one winner! In my opinion he's certainly the best in England at the moment and probably a contender for best in the world. I'd love to see him at WR week in, week out.
Owens uses first names, quite a few good refs do. Spreaders used to.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

'First name terms' is a ploy I always found worked well with my offspring. Unfortunately, the young Strawclearers no longer call me 'Sir'!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote:'First name terms' is a ploy I always found worked well with my offspring. Unfortunately, the young Strawclearers no longer call me 'Sir'!
You mean you didn't call them Strawclearer Major, Minor etc. No wonder the country is going to pot :smt003
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
strawclearer wrote:'First name terms' is a ploy I always found worked well with my offspring. Unfortunately, the young Strawclearers no longer call me 'Sir'!
You mean you didn't call them Strawclearer Major, Minor etc. No wonder the country is going to pot :smt003
Major, Minor and Mistake - and I'm pretty sure we kept them off pot entirely!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

jgriffin wrote:
chris111 wrote:
Owens uses first names, quite a few good refs do. Spreaders used to.
Thanks for all responses. I am clearly a fuddy-duddy and in a minority of one then !!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

What's he supposed to do?

Say, "Don't do that Number 10"...

It isn't 'The Prisoner' you know.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

I am clearly a dinosaur.

I would have found it very odd a referee addressing me by my Christian name during a game.
Far too informal. Surname, or Blue 3.

To me it's to do with personal/professional boundaries, and being seen to be impartial during the game.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(