SA in the Anglo Welsh?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

SA in the Anglo Welsh?

Post by trendylfj »

Just read on the beeb that Prem rugby are looking at the prospect of Curry cup teams being included in the Anglo Welsh. Why????? The only aspect that makes any sense to me is if the SA teams play ALL of their games over here and I hope that is what they are looking at but in general I am not in favour of this. They are also saying that the games would be played during the Nov/6 nations windows which may justify the prem season being longer. I know that they are looking at a longer season due to the changes in the calendar post 2019. Is this money driven????
Hehehehehehehehe
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: SA in the Anglo Welsh?

Post by Roly »

The SA franchises are struggling financially as it is without placing this extra burden on them.

The AW is Mickey Mouse enough, without making other countries fans suffer the lack of spectacle. Just keep it as development tournament for up and coming players - strictly U23?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
nasher

Post by nasher »

It's called "maximise your income stream and sod the players welfare"9
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'll believe it when I see it. South African clubs like to hold these kind of threats in a desperate attempt to say "We don't get what we want from you so we could do this instead". Won't happen.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Possibly an opening shot in the aim to replace Italy with SA in 6N and join European competitions.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I'm dead against any team from any other continent taking part in what is basically a domestic competition, If we are going to widen it why not include Ulster, Glasgow and Edinburgh and a guest club from say the lower Divisions to make it 5 groups of 4 teams and play it on the same basis as the European competitionsi.e. Each of the pool leaders plus the three best second place teams progress through to the quarter final.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40122015

Pro12: South African side Cheetahs receive formal invitation to join league

Don't know if plan is to expand league or drop and Italian side?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Madness - I wonder how many away fans will be at any of these games???? Can't imagine too many SA fans travelling every other week which must leave reduced attendances at pro 12 home games and therefore loss of revenue not to mention the extra expense of teams travelling. Hope the TV money makes this worthwhile. If this does lead to an Italian team being dropped, it will also have an effect on the 6N Italian squad
Hehehehehehehehe
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

The super rugby has teams from Argentina to Japan and they get by.
Personally I expected a team from North America to be sort after as they are a market to explore. But I don't mind a South Affrican team, especially as the team being offered the spot is being kicked from super rugby. So by offering them a spot they are still keeping jobs that would of been lost. That being said no team currently in the pro 12 should be kicked out.