Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done Ellis!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Only Genge in England squad for Argentina, well done El

Post by jgriffin »

northerntiger wrote:I have no problem with residency as a qualification, it's the time I object to. Three years is too short
This has been done to death, so many players for so many countries born elsewhere. Apart from the time for residency (most favour 5 years), thought this had been debated and settled (except for the English-born of English parents only tendency).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote:
northerntiger wrote:I have no problem with residency as a qualification, it's the time I object to. Three years is too short
This has been done to death, so many players for so many countries born elsewhere. Apart from the time for residency (most favour 5 years), thought this had been debated and settled (except for the English-born of English parents only tendency).
20 years and I'd be ok with it. 3 is a joke.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Only one Tiger in Argentina squad, well done Ellis

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Slightly disappointing. Would have liked to have seen a few more Tigers involved. The motivation for Saints to sign Francis is now clear; Jones obviously wanted him. Disappointed Solomona has been picked. The residency rules can't change soon enough. Not a good way to encourage grass roots talent.
Yeah Solomona in because of residency rule, shouldn't be allow, oh wait that's how Manu got in!!!!
Chobbsy wrote:
northerntiger wrote:All been here a lot longer than three years.
Also grew up here.
Also have not represented another country.

So no. Nothing like Manu and the Vunipolas.

Quite a bit like Nathan Hughes though.
How did they all qualify? what do you think Somoa and Tonga think, don't you think they would like people born in there countries to represent them?

Sorry you may not like it but they qualified the exact same way As Manu, Mako, Billy and Rokoduguni
Rokoduguni may be the closest you have to an argument (although has the Army connection), but seeing as Manu, the Vunipolas, Faletau were all products of the English and Welsh schools system and each resided in the U.K. for significant period as children and into adulthood there is absolutely no comparison with Hughes or Solomona who are, in terms or representative rugby, "economic migrants". It is financially understandable, but does it make it right?
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

G.K wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
20 years and I'd be ok with it. 3 is a joke.
I'd suggest a rule saying you can only play for countries you are qualified to play for on or before your 18th (or a n other) birthday.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rokoduguni may be the closet

HC
Not too sure he will take too kindly to being called one of those, its obviously a polite way of saying he is built like a brick .... house? :smt018
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote:Rokoduguni may be the closet

HC
Not too sure he will take too kindly to being called one of those, its obviously a polite way of saying he is built like a brick .... house? :smt018
:smt003 Predictive text!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
I'd suggest a rule saying you can only play for countries you are qualified to play for on or before your 18th (or a n other) birthday.
That's not a bad shout actually and in the current embarrassment of riches at England's disposal wouldn't likely damage the international game.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.