Lions Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

welshy08

Re: Lions Squad

Post by welshy08 »

You seem to convienetly forget that all those games could have gone the other way.

Under Gatland they probably would have.
Wales put up one hell of a fight regardless.

Look the main problem with he lions is English rugby is now followed by what can only be described as English Supremacist bigots, who are only now following this sport because it gives them an outlet for that and for bashing (who they see as) their "inferior" celtic neighbours regularly.

Rugby Clubs in England seems to encourage English supremacist bigotry (as part and parcel of the culture) and so "how could it possibly be the case that little old Wales (a nation of three million people) deserves such representation, over our superior English players representing the superior nation of England, without there being something extremely wrong and crooked?

We English are a superior species for gawd sake!!"

Didn't someone say once that if you blew up the eastern terrace in twickenham you eradicate fascism in England in a blink of an eye? That was twenty years ago.

It has gotten a whole lot worse since.

For example these Enlgish supremacist bigots would have much preferred the Lions lost last time than win, just because lots of Welsh people made the test side.

The Lions winning with lots of Taffs was one of the worst days of their lives.
Last edited by welshy08 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

welshy08 wrote: Rugby Clubs in England seems to encourage English supremacist bigotry (as part and parcel of the culture) and so "how could it possibly be the case that little old Wales (a nation of three million people) deserves such representation, over our superior English players representing the superior nation of England, without there being something extremely wrong and crooked?

Didn't someone say once that if you blew up the eastern terrace in twickenham you eradicate fascism in England in a blink of an eye? That was twenty years ago.
On your first point, it's actually very simple.

The last two years have seen England lift the 6N trophy twice, once as GS winners. The team had won 18 matches in a row prior to their last game, which included a series whitewash of Australia, in Australia.

Wales have stalled under Gatland and finished 5th this year. You can say the games were lost on small margins - but they were lost, you can't argue with results. Oh, Wales also only narrowly beat Japan at home and lost convincingly to the same Australia side that England had taken to school. And they lost (sorry, were thrashed) by a NZ provincial side in June 2016.

On your second point, No I don't think anyone who isn't already behind bars for inciting hate crime would say such a stupid thing. And you'd have to be even more stupid to subscribe to it.
Last edited by Roly on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Ah good old Welshy08 - always ends up getting his hatred of all things English into the mix - and we're the bigots? I just love the irony.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

Lions Tours are when fans put their personal rivalry apart and get behind the squad. Can we please put personal grudges aside and support those selected. For supporters they are fantastic occasions, I was lucky enough to go on the last one, and made many friends, Welsh, Irish Scots. Long may they continue.
On the playing side I wouldn't be surprised to see some omitted players called up mid tour due to injuries.

So put your personal grudges on one side and get behind them.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

PaulinBroughton wrote:
So put your personal grudges on one side and get behind them.
Er....no.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Look.. we all know whats going to happen.

Gatland will put out a very mixed team initially, that you will all love and approve of in the first test.

It won't do anything he demands of it and lose.

He will then rightly abandon this "great idea" fairly quickly (he has a test series to win) and fill the lions jerseys with Welsh players who at least he can trust to implement his game plan and who will do what he demands (for at least 65 minutes, like they did last year).
This time he will have the strength in depth to push it over the line and be successful.

If it wasn't for all the media and supporters going loopy, he could do this in the first test and have far more of a chance, but he has to sacrifice it, basically for the English and Irish rugby industries.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'm happy to be stubborn on this. I love Lions tours. Anyone who has been to one will happily tell you there are few sporting experiences that come close. Irish and British of all nations coming together, drinking and singing arm in arm... it's a wonderful atmosphere.

The tour is the last throwback to the amateur ethos of the sport culminating in a test series. Touring is an important tradition in the game, it would be a shame for it to be eroded. I get that there's a need for it to be modernised in some way as it's one hell of a heavy schedule, but I'd hate for it to die. It's a wonderful tradition and still seen as a huge honour by players.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:I'm happy to be stubborn on this. I love Lions tours. Anyone who has been to one will happily tell you there are few sporting experiences that come close. Irish and British of all nations coming together, drinking and singing arm in arm... it's a wonderful atmosphere.

The tour is the last throwback to the amateur ethos of the sport culminating in a test series. Touring is an important tradition in the game, it would be a shame for it to be eroded. I get that there's a need for it to be modernised in some way as it's one hell of a heavy schedule, but I'd hate for it to die. It's a wonderful tradition and still seen as a huge honour by players.
Anyone who's paid to go on a Lions tour is unlikely to be of the mentality that its an outmoded concept, with an atmosphere of faux bon homme that makes quite a lot of people dry retch...
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was living out there at the time. I went to games while I was there. It was great. I wouldn't want that to end.

"faux bon homme". No, people there just enjoyed it. Because it's good.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:I was living out there at the time. I went to games while I was there. It was great. I wouldn't want that to end.

"faux bon homme". No, people there just enjoyed it. Because it's good.
Fortunately, this Lions will likely see confirmation that the concept (in its current form) is dead.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Iain wrote:I'm happy to be stubborn on this. I love Lions tours. Anyone who has been to one will happily tell you there are few sporting experiences that come close. Irish and British of all nations coming together, drinking and singing arm in arm... it's a wonderful atmosphere.

+1 and the same sentiment to Paulinbroughton.

Roly I have never come across anyone quite so negative about seemingly everything as you. If ever there was a prime example of a person always seeing their cup half empty rather than half full, it is you.
I have never had the chance to go on a Lions tour but I know many that have and ALL without exception have had a great time and returned with many new friends from all nationalities. The rugby is also pretty good!!
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:

+1 and the same sentiment to Paulinbroughton.

Roly I have never come across anyone quite so negative about seemingly everything as you. If ever there was a prime example of a person always seeing their cup half empty rather than half full, it is you.
That's funny, I feel the same about poor gullible unfortunates...
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:

Anyone who's paid to go on a Lions tour is unlikely to be of the mentality that its an outmoded concept, with an atmosphere of faux bon homme that makes quite a lot of people dry retch...
It's a shame that some people dry retch at the thought of other people enjoying themselves.

:smt001 :smt002 :smt003 :smt005 :smt023 Ooh that must hurt.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

welshy08 wrote:You seem to convienetly forget that all those games could have gone the other way.
except Murrayfield, where you got a proper stiffing.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Roly - surely the point of contributing to a forum is to be part of a group of people sharing information on or about a mutual interest.

There is nobody on here who agrees with you or who is appreciative of anything you say. You just try (successfully) to provoke reactions with your overly negative view of the world - and you only get criticised when you do post anything.
You cannot feel welcome here - you are not wanted here - so why oh why do you come on here?
Are you that narcissistic to think that you are needed here?
Less is more....