Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to leave

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
kend wrote:
“He’s got to rehab now, keep mentally positive and he will be back in the mix - and could play in the World Cup-winning final side. He’s got that incredible power which separates him from other players.”
Which doesn't sound like a coach who thinks he wouldn't make a 'scrap of difference'.

Manu brings a threat in mid-field that few other players provide and to suggest Tigers haven't missed that is a interesting claim. If you think about it Tigers started the season with a game plan that included two of the best centres in world rugby. A third of the way in both are out for the season and the side, understandably IMHO, struggled to adapt. All things considered, to be challenging for 4th is some achievement.
He's also got a very weak groin area which is likely the result of an underlying medical problem (previously discussed on this forum) and i'll be a monkey's trumpet if he ever returns to anything like his full (previous) fitness.

To reach 4th place is a big achievement - I've already said it - but its debateable if having Manu playing would have made a difference in real terms.

Given that we are 15 points behind 3rd and have only lost 3 games by less than a score (Sale and Bath away and Sarries at home), from a league table point of view, highly unlikely. Owt else is speculation.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I look forward to the emergence of Roly as a monkey's trumpet. I hope and expect Manu's groin problems to be over, that is not his current injury. Tigers would have performed better with Toomua and Tuilagi in the centre otherwise we could have saved a lot of money. Whatever the end of this season brings now is the time to think of next season and as an optimist I believe we will sweep all before us and win three trophies with a lovely weekend in Spain thrown in.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

johnthegriff wrote:I look forward to the emergence of Roly as a monkey's trumpet. I hope and expect Manu's groin problems to be over, that is not his current injury. Tigers would have performed better with Toomua and Tuilagi in the centre otherwise we could have saved a lot of money. Whatever the end of this season brings now is the time to think of next season and as an optimist I believe we will sweep all before us and win three trophies with a lovely weekend in Spain thrown in.
Tuilagi suffers from 'Gilmore's Groin'. Its a recurring condition and according to the Telegraph (as of September last year), there aren't any signs of it going away.

You cannot know if Tigers would have performed better with Toomua and Tuilagi in the centre, and lets face it, when it came to wasting money on signings, Tigers did alright there of late...

I opined that the team hadn't necessarily missed him. It is clear that the only thing we know is that we don't know.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So what exactly is a Monkey's Trumpet and is it something we should look forward to if/when Roly, Poly emerges as one :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Roly wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:I look forward to the emergence of Roly as a monkey's trumpet. I hope and expect Manu's groin problems to be over, that is not his current injury. Tigers would have performed better with Toomua and Tuilagi in the centre otherwise we could have saved a lot of money. Whatever the end of this season brings now is the time to think of next season and as an optimist I believe we will sweep all before us and win three trophies with a lovely weekend in Spain thrown in.
Tuilagi suffers from 'Gilmore's Groin'. Its a recurring condition and according to the Telegraph (as of September last year), there aren't any signs of it going away.

You cannot know if Tigers would have performed better with Toomua and Tuilagi in the centre, and lets face it, when it came to wasting money on signings, Tigers did alright there of late...

I opined that the team hadn't necessarily missed him. It is clear that the only thing we know is that we don't know.
I don't think that is necessarily true (I'm pretty sure there is a video around of Gilmore talking about his successes in treating the condition). The resident medic in my household tells me it is a complex condition that could recur, but if the surgery is successful and the rehab & strengthening done properly, it is possible to make a full recovery. It is of course possible that Manu is unlucky with it. But presumably Tigers wouldn't have offered a contract if the medical consensus was the condition wasn't repairable.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

8 games a season and paid how much? Not a good ROI in my opinion. Other players that have contributed more have been let go with leser injury problems.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

G.K wrote:8 games a season and paid how much? Not a good ROI in my opinion. Other players that have contributed more have been let go with leser injury problems.
Who? He is still under contract, isn't he. I can't see how he can be 'let go'
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

An unfortunate few years for club and player. Imagine how frustrated and disappointed the young man must be. Im sure all he wants to do is play rugby. I don't think there was an obvious resolution. Not offer him a new contract and find he had recovered to play against us and the club would be crucified. It was a gamble that unfortunately so far hasn't paid off. Whether it ever will remains to be seen.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Blabyboy

Post by Blabyboy »

If manu could get fit and stay fit i have no doubt that he would be worth every penny. I hope this happens. However, my theory on manu (which is not my theory at all, but is in fact the theory of a close friend's very well conected associate, but in the interests of anonymity, it is a theory which i will claim) is that, manu is such a supremely developed athlete, his is actually too strong for his own body. His connective tissues are under such strain from his massive muscles that they cant cope and thus he is unfortunatley destined for a career full of niggling injuries. I sincerely hope that he can regain fitness and fulfill his potential for tigers.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !