Good luck Cockerill with Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Good luck Cockerill with Toulon

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote:Roly look at the facts. Tigers coaching record started in the professional era with Bob Dwyer, limited success on the field but he changed attitudes. Dean Richards, incestuous appointment produced seven major trophies in five years, a down turn in fortunes after 2002 partially due to players ageing and tired after the world cup saw Deano sacked. Some success with Johnny Wells in charge but unfortunately a cock up by Tigers officials led to Wellsy departing and Pat Howard assisted by Cocker taking over and more success. Lofreda came and was not what we hoped for and was replaced by Meyer who left at the end of January due to personal family problems with us lying eighth in the Premiership. Another incestuous appointment saw Cocker take the reins and we finished the season as champions and losing Heineken cup finalists. The next few years saw us collecting trophies but injuries to our midfield simultaneously to first, second and even third choices hampered our continued success and caused tiger to recruit Aaron Mauger as Chief coach with responsibility for the backs and a big hand in recruitment. I thought it a good appointment but it did not work and change had to be made. Personally I would have kept Cocker but he has gone and we move on. Our greatest success has come with coaches who know our club and the Premiership, that is undeniable. We don't know what the future holds but we have a new Head Coach supported by promising young coaches who have just won the Anglo Welsh cup, Tigers supporters will continue to support the team and will deliver an informed verdict on the new appointment at the end of next season.
Measured, evidenced, from one who has seen it all! Nice one. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Part of me would like Clermont to win the Brennus, but the fairytale win would be that of La Rochelle and would be on a par with Leicester City's triumph last year.
Out of interest how have they managed to do this? Owners, coaches, shrewd player recruitment or a combination? What is the fan base like?
I've had to do a bit of googling so here goes:
La Rochelle or Stade Rochelais as they are known here, were promoted to the Top14 in 2014/15 so they are relatively new.
Their coach is former prop Patricio Collazo (2 spells with Glaws and 1 solitary cap for Les Bleus) who is really making a name for himself, and he is supported by Xavier Garbajosa (former winger with Toulouse and France).
In the squad there are few household names - among those you may have heard of are prop Atonio, Gourdon in the back row (both in the French team this season) and Brock James (ex Clermont).
Yes, I think you can say that their player recruitment has been shrewd as they finished the season seven points clear at the top and only lost 6 games.
The big questions are, did they peak too soon and can they go all the way and become champions with solid teams like Clermont, Toulon and Montpellier still in with a shout (as are Castres and Racing, but I can't see either of them winning their play-offs).
As far as the fan base is concerned, they apparently have an average home crowd of 10,000 - fewer than Clermont and Toulon, for example.
The semi-finals are to be played on the 26th and 27th in Marseille.
Semper in excretia
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

A win by 26-22 sends Toulon into the Semi finals!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

What a good game that was! Toulon going down to 13 men for 15 minutes and still outscored Castres 7-0. Not always pretty but a real battle. The pitchside microphones even picked up Cockers motivating (I think that's the word) his team :smt002
A citizen of hope and glory
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Brutal game, thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see the Cockers steel being applied in the south of France!!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigerbeat wrote:A win by 26-22 sends Toulon into the Semi finals!
...and they'll play La Rochelle in Marseille, which'll be like a home game for Toulon which should give them a slight advantage, but La Rochelle finished 7 points clear at the top and clearly will be up for a fight and I'd not be surprised if they won, but I'll be rooting for Cockers and his team!!!
Semper in excretia
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I sent a text congratulating Cocker on the victory and shortly after midnight (past 1.00 am in France) I received a reply wishing us all the best against Wasps today. He is still a tiger at heart!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Can he do a unique double, win in two different comps, then on to the treble with the Pro12......?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.