Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Team vs Newcastle

Post by TigerCam »

tigerburnie wrote:Excellent result
:smt023 What is worrying is the really poor handling skills. Mauger said, on his arrival, that the Tigers need to go back to basics and learn ball skills. While I enjoyed the game and the win, I do not see the Tigers getting beyond the semis if they continue with the number of handling errors that they seem to produce game on game? MOC has his work cut out
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tiglon wrote:Isn't the point of winding up your opponents to try and get them to give away a penalty? All Genge did was start events that wound up Barrow, and gave Newcastle a penalty which made that 4th try all the more difficult. If I was his coach I wouldn't find giving away needless penalties quite as funny as he did.

From another perspective, dropping the ball on an opponents head after scoring is quite disrespectful, and had it been a player from another team doing it to Tigers I suspect the majority of this forum would be deriding it as childish behaviour not befitting a rugby pitch.

Not particularly smart, and I'm a bit confused as to why so many are celebrating it. Other than that, Genge was magnificent again - a bit more maturity and he would easily have been MotM today.
He just dropped the ball. He did not make any aggressive motion. I have done the same and recieved the same. You just suck it up and get on with it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Job done so well done to the team. Agree with others that Tigers must start looking after the ball better. Maybe they are saving it all up for when better handling is needed. Sale up next when the team will surely know they will have to perform far better than today. Well done Worcester but that makes the last two games look much more difficult. I feel Tigers need Hamilton, Slater and Mac back as these three get turnovers and provide real grunt.. At least the coaching team has two weeks to get the team in shape for the final push. For now though I will enjoy the win and hope the team can quickly eradicate poor handling. Well done Ben Youngs: great try- more sniping please - and Harrison's pass and vision seemed to have improved with the enforced rest. :smt038
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Ian Cant wrote:Job done so well done to the team. Agree with others that Tigers must start looking after the ball better. Maybe they are saving it all up for when better handling is needed. Sale up next when the team will surely know they will have to perform far better than today. Well done Worcester but that makes the last two games look much more difficult. I feel Tigers need Hamilton, Slater and Mac back as these three get turnovers and provide real grunt.. At least the coaching team has two weeks to get the team in shape for the final push. For now though I will enjoy the win and hope the team can quickly eradicate poor handling. Well done Ben Youngs: great try- more sniping please - and Harrison's pass and vision seemed to have improved with the enforced rest. :smt038
Mac unlikely to be back this season
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

L Smith wrote:
Ian Cant wrote:I feel Tigers need Hamilton, Slater and Mac back as these three get turnovers and provide real grunt.:smt038
Mac unlikely to be back this season
I must have missed this news! What? When? How? Where? etc etc
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerCam wrote:
Tiglon wrote:Isn't the point of winding up your opponents to try and get them to give away a penalty? All Genge did was start events that wound up Barrow, and gave Newcastle a penalty which made that 4th try all the more difficult. If I was his coach I wouldn't find giving away needless penalties quite as funny as he did.

From another perspective, dropping the ball on an opponents head after scoring is quite disrespectful, and had it been a player from another team doing it to Tigers I suspect the majority of this forum would be deriding it as childish behaviour not befitting a rugby pitch.

Not particularly smart, and I'm a bit confused as to why so many are celebrating it. Other than that, Genge was magnificent again - a bit more maturity and he would easily have been MotM today.
He just dropped the ball. He did not make any aggressive motion. I have done the same and recieved the same. You just suck it up and get on with it.
Genge has made himself a very important player for Leicester currently, he is making up for a quite evident collective lack of natural aggression in general from several others which for one so young is a big responsibility so perhaps some leeway would be justifiable.
Genge reminds me a little of farmer White only these days it's impossible to back the confrontation up with anything other than play, unless a player wants a very large ban!
Maybe a few have forgotten just how confrontational a top side needs to be to compete, alright it might look a bit arrogant when you win 30-3 but you aren't going to cuddle your way to a win against the best teams.
It's harder these days, we want confrontation but then they look a bit silly when they walk away, but they have very little choice, it's a different scenario to the past but also why we love to hate Farrell or Brown and all the others that possess that competitive niggle.
I applaud it, it's better than just rolling over and asking for a belly tickle off the master!
I thought todays game was quite poor overall and Falcons were very poor, I'm surprised they haven't targeted a 10 and if ours tackled like they did at times today I'd be asking for a refund!
Wuss beat Bath, could still be a twist or even two but it's in our hands!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Acts like dropping the ball on an opponent have and always will be part of the game, it's just 90% of the time it doesn't provoke a reaction unless the ball is directly thrown at somebody, the penalty against Genge and Barrow was particularly harsh considering it was a Newcastle player who started the pushing and shoving
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kpj tiger wrote:

Acts like dropping the ball on an opponent have and always will be part of the game, it's just 90% of the time it doesn't provoke a reaction unless the ball is directly thrown at somebody, the penalty against Genge and Barrow was particularly harsh considering it was a Newcastle player who started the pushing and shoving
The game has gone soft kpj!
I'm stood today and every other tackle petty folk around me are shouting for a high tackle and I'm just stood thinking when are we going to see some decent rugby, it's constant stoppages with soft penalties, it's getting farcical and IMO officiating has tempered matches to a new low point this season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

BFG wrote:
kpj tiger wrote:

I'm stood today and every other tackle petty folk around me are shouting for a high tackle and I'm just stood thinking when are we going to see some decent rugby, it's constant stoppages with soft penalties, it's getting farcical and IMO officiating has tempered matches to a new low point this season.

Agreed, I find the tackling and general anti physicality theme among the new rules/refereeing to be shocking, having played for Hinckley RFC from when I was 10 till I was 17 (that was only 6 years ago) I can tell you we were encouraged to make dominant collisions and if people started something you ended it, especially as we got out of mini's towards colts we were very much encouraged to learn how to look after ourselves so to speak
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

kpj tiger wrote:
BFG wrote:
kpj tiger wrote:

Agreed, I find the tackling and general anti physicality theme among the new rules/refereeing to be shocking, having played for Hinckley RFC from when I was 10 till I was 17 (that was only 6 years ago) I can tell you we were encouraged to make dominant collisions and if people started something you ended it, especially as we got out of mini's towards colts we were very much encouraged to learn how to look after ourselves so to speak
As someone at the other end of the age spectrum - my teenage angst has lasted over half a century already - I can tell you it was ever thus! :smt027
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The difference between Genge and White is perhaps that when Genge is getting feisty he seems to be in control unlike White who had a tendency to see the red mist.
Much less risk of a red card and hugely infuriating for the opposition!

An outside bet for the Lions.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

TigerCam wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Excellent result
:smt023 What is worrying is the really poor handling skills. Mauger said, on his arrival, that the Tigers need to go back to basics and learn ball skills. While I enjoyed the game and the win, I do not see the Tigers getting beyond the semis if they continue with the number of handling errors that they seem to produce game on game? MOC has his work cut out
Handling errors very evident yesterday, even in warm-up before game started; dont think the pack cleanly collected from warm-up lineouts. Looked as though ball was being pushed around just on the edge of player's reach, more distribution error than fumbling.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Strange game,very underwhelmed and frustrated first half,lots of huff and puff but not much else. Second half was better and all that counts is the win and a great Wuss result! What happened to Hamilton?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott11 wrote:Strange game,very underwhelmed and frustrated first half,lots of huff and puff but not much else. Second half was better and all that counts is the win and a great Wuss result! What happened to Hamilton?
I'd heard he turned an ankle but not sure how seriously.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

strawclearer wrote:
Scott11 wrote:Strange game,very underwhelmed and frustrated first half,lots of huff and puff but not much else. Second half was better and all that counts is the win and a great Wuss result! What happened to Hamilton?
I'd heard he turned an ankle but not sure how seriously.
Yup, in Friday's run-out apparently. MoC said not serious on RL after the game.

Having watched recording of the match back at home,can conclude that:-
1. Newcastle were worse than I thought live!
2. Mr Tempest was better than I thought although still some strange decisions and things missed - obvious stranglehold by skipper Welch being one of them
3. Inaccurate distribution was more of a problem than our ability to catch - the passing just wasn't good enough
4. Genge got his wind-up tactics just about right but re-joined the fracas after his second try, silly of him: he still has to learn therefore
5. YBY deserved MotM for the try-saver on Goneva first half and for his try in the second half - a great example of playing in the moment.

Well done, boys.