Marcos retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcos retires

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott11 wrote:Absolute legend! At a time the worlds premier LH,great player! Really hope he's there Friday for a chat!
Friday?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Yes mate,training session open to the public free from 10 am then meet and greet,Q and A,autographs and Easter egg hunt for the kids
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes, Friday is the perfect time for those people demanding the players stay out after a tough rugby match to acknowledge the fans, to turn up.

I saw on another forum a fan called Veianu over after the Bath game to which TV replied, I'm sorry I really need to get inside. Instead of accepting that Veianu needed to go inside to finish his job of getting feedback from the coaching team, the fan said oh go on please so TV felt he had to go over to this fan just so said fan could have a photo to plaster all over social media.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Always a shame to have a player retire due to injury. Hopefully the rest of the squad can do the right thing and win the league so he can have a proper send off! :smt023
BEVMARK

Post by BEVMARK »

Can only agree with all that has been said already.

A Tigers Legend and Gentleman in the truest sense of the words!
My Favourite Player in the post 'Johnno' era. Not just his obvious skills but his clear and evident passion for the Club & Shirt for every minute of every game he played.

We will be very lucky if we see his equal in the Tigers Front Row for many years.
'Bring Me My Sword of Burning Gold'
'Bring Me My Arrows of Desire'
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

BeeJ wrote:I know the term is used far too often these days but it is perfectly applicable here.

The man is a legend.
+1

Also a true gentleman and quietly spoken. A gentle giant who will be missed sorely.

Total disaster for refs and the linesmen. Who is going to point out where the correct position is for a lineout!
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

On behalf of MAS the Marcos Appreciation Society, we would like to express our sadness that a true Tiger has been forced to conclude his Rugby playing days.

Probably one of the most understated players of his generation, but has there ever been a player who has given more to the team ethos? I don't think so.

Thank you so much Marcos for coming to the Tigers and then staying with us for the rest of your playing days. We had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with you on several occasions, in particular your testimonial dinner and your testimonial game when your humble embarrassment to all the accolades showered upon you shone through, yet those accolades were so richly deserved.

So many memories the bravery shown in battle, the blood soaked bandages in the AP final, the tackle on Botha in the HC quarter final at Toulon resulting in a shattered collar bone, the brilliant try against Ospreys in the HC it must have been at least 70 yards (as the prop flies anyway)

What more can one say our favourite Tiger for many years we will miss you. All our best wishes to you and your lovely family in all you do in the future. You will always be remembered and welcome at Welford Road!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Crumblies wrote:On behalf of MAS the Marcos Appreciation Society, we would like to express our sadness that a true Tiger has been forced to conclude his Rugby playing days.

Probably one of the most understated players of his generation, but has there ever been a player who has given more to the team ethos? I don't think so.

Thank you so much Marcos for coming to the Tigers and then staying with us for the rest of your playing days. We had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with you on several occasions, in particular your testimonial dinner and your testimonial game when your humble embarrassment to all the accolades showered upon you shone through, yet those accolades were so richly deserved.

So many memories the bravery shown in battle, the blood soaked bandages in the AP final, the tackle on Botha in the HC quarter final at Toulon resulting in a shattered collar bone, the brilliant try against Ospreys in the HC it must have been at least 70 yards (as the prop flies anyway)

What more can one say our favourite Tiger for many years we will miss you. All our best wishes to you and your lovely family in all you do in the future. You will always be remembered and welcome at Welford Road!
+1 :smt023

Just read the news and echo all the sentiments in this thread. My favourite Tiger for many seasons and has been said a humble, gentle man off the field and a giant on it. Marcos I salute you! Thanks for all you have done for this great club! :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

One of the most under rated loose heads in world rugby was at the top of his game for a number of years. Legend is banded around in sport far to often but this man ticks the boxes.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

This is probably the first thread on here for years where everyone is an agreement.

Marcos Ayerza, one of the greats.
WilstheTiger

Post by WilstheTiger »

Wonderful player - always - for Tigers.

So sorry he has retired.

He will be missed by all.

Pleasure to have seen his career unfold at Leicester Tigers.
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

brooksey845 wrote:One of the most under rated loose heads in world rugby was at the top of his game for a number of years. Legend is banded around in sport far to often but this man ticks the boxes.
I agree with all you say except that Marcos was never under rated. I was lucky enough to be at one of his testimonial dinners, it was a 65th present from the office staff, if you read his testimonial brochure and listen to what other players say about him, they all say he was at his peak the world's best loosehead. Legend, yes Tigers great yes, lovely, lively bloke, but under rated no.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

A truly great player... I think more understated than underated

Having been fortunate to have met him once briefly I can also say a jolly nice chap.
Last edited by mightymouse on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

A true tigers legend, one of the greatest LH ever and a loyal servant to tigers in an age when he must have been offered massive lucrative contracts from France. Will be missed but let's hope we can keep him in some coaching capacity, perfect mentor for Genge.

Thanks for the memories Marcos :smt023
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Wondered if he might come onto the pitch after today's game, but no. Hope we all get the chance to say farewell after the Sale game. A true Tiger. Well remember him choking up at the presentation after his testimonial game v Argentina. What a lovely bloke.

Wishing you all success in your future career, Marcos. You'll always be welcome back at WR.