Teams up vs Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up vs Bath

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote:Why feed the bath trolling?

I mean it isn't like any of the props he named are any good.

He's just jealous that Bristol produced a Prop with more potential than any Bath prop in the last 3 decades.
Exactly - a Bath troll-numpty - it'll be his bedtime soon but add it to your 'Foes' list anyway! :smt039
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well! There is disappointment and then there is disappointment and then there is DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!

What was the game plan? Why given the width of the Twickers pitch would you aimlessly kick the ball away regardless of being under self-imposed pressure or not to a set of back-line players that will feed a top backline off it all day? 7 visits to their 22 and only 2 executed into points!! Ball handling skills were to put it mildly - :censored: .Bath had trouble handling the 'route one' from the Tigers so surely that should have been option until space appeared? To gift, and I mean gift, Bath 2 trys was unforgivable. MOC has got his work cut out if the Tigers are to even sniff the playoffs and based on what I saw at HQ today their appearance will be short-lived!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Mr Doyle had no choice but to yellow card Pieterson who is the worst bargain since de Villiers. Brady shows more energy and committment; Pieterson is lazy and ineffectual.
It was ours to win but Watson is slippery so credit to him, and we made some daft mistakes and could not take our chances late on.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote:Well! There is disappointment and then there is disappointment and then there is DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!

What was the game plan? Why given the width of the Twickers pitch would you aimlessly kick the ball away regardless of being under self-imposed pressure or not to a set that will feed a top backline all day? 7 visits to their 22 and only 2 executed into points!! Ball handling skills were to put it mildly - :censored:. Bath had trouble handling the 'route one' from the Tigers so surely that should have been option until space appeared? To gift, and I mean gift, Bath 2 trys was unforgivable. MOC has got his work cut out if the Tigers are to even sniff the playoffs and based on what I saw at HQ today their appearance will be short-lived!!
Agree, a lot is coaching and coaches' decisions. We lost this game, Bath didn't win it. Misuse of subs, need for more hydration, failure to poin Ford with our game plan......most dischuffed.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back from Twickers. Well done Bath, Ford and their backs superb. I said in a post earlier this week to choose players who really wanted it so agree Tom Brady, Smithy or even Betham should have played. JP never seems like catching the high ball and just seems a lazy defender. however both yellows were harsh. Sadly ours killed us.I agree as well that whoever ( if they did) tell our half backs to keep punting it up in the air must take a hard look at themselves. WATSON, Joseph etc are not only great under the high ball but run it back threateningly. Having said all of this I thought, just like last year v Racing at Nottingham our handling badly let us down. Positives: Luke Hamilton, Thommo, Barrow and Kitchen. Thought Ford outshone Freddie although his kicking isn't world class. Bring on Newcastle but please play players who will show more pride in the shirt.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I disagree about a lack of pride in the shirt Ian Cant, I just thought they make too many errors!
Veainu was a prime example, absolutely brilliant try by him but can't even give a simple straight pass down the line.
They do a lot of good stuff and equally bad stuff.
I thought some of the subs were puzzling but then it was always possible given the bench options in the first place, hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's just a shame those paid to know better don't seem to possess much of it at times!
I won't say his name but again weak play by our flanker, supposed to there because he is fast but what use if he can't make up for being shy defending head on if he can't read the cover defence properly for Watson's try, and lost the ball in contact like a junior again, no basics no chance!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

That was one that got away. JPP's yellow would have been irrelevant if we had taken our chances prior to it. Several visits to the Bath 22 which weren't converted into points cost us that game.

Unfortunately JP Doyle once again demonstrated that he does not understand what is going on in the scrums. The most telling piece of ineptitude being the penalty he gave against Dan Cole when we had a scrum 5 metres from their line. Why would he drop the scrum when we were dominating and would doubtless have gone for a pushover? On the evidence of earlier scrums Bath would have infringed with resultant sanction.

Also why was Ben Youngs not allowed to tap and go when we won a scrum penalty? Happy to have that explained to me. Otherwise another ludicrous decision by an allegedly experienced referee.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

ellis9 wrote:Just need to make sure we win the last 3 games and get 1 more TBP than Bath do
No we don't need to do this. We remain ahead in the table as it stands and simply need to get the same number of points as Bath from now on (or more) whether they are TBP, losing bonus points or any other kind of points. Additionally should we get the same number of points as Bath from now on we also need to maintain our current better points difference.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes but Bath will win the last 3 games in my opinion.

I was under the impression we had won 1 more game than Bath but having realised we are level, the points difference will now come in to play.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

voice of the crumbie wrote:That was one that got away. JPP's yellow would have been irrelevant if we had taken our chances prior to it. Several visits to the Bath 22 which weren't converted into points cost us that game.

Unfortunately JP Doyle once again demonstrated that he does not understand what is going on in the scrums. The most telling piece of ineptitude being the penalty he gave against Dan Cole when we had a scrum 5 metres from their line. Why would he drop the scrum when we were dominating and would doubtless have gone for a pushover? On the evidence of earlier scrums Bath would have infringed with resultant sanction.

Also why was Ben Youngs not allowed to tap and go when we won a scrum penalty? Happy to have that explained to me. Otherwise another ludicrous decision by an allegedly experienced referee.
Ben was at least 10 yards in front of the place where the infringement occurred
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Old Hob wrote:
voice of the crumbie wrote: Also why was Ben Youngs not allowed to tap and go when we won a scrum penalty? Happy to have that explained to me. Otherwise another ludicrous decision by an allegedly experienced referee.
Ben was at least 10 yards in front of the place where the infringement occurred
Thanks for the clarification, Old Hob.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

On two occasions that I could see plainly from my seat near the front, the Bath 3 gripped under Genge and pulled down, Bath pen. I also predicted exactly what would happen when we had a 5m scrum, they fold, they get pen decision against us - called it before the scrum started. At halftime the Bath coaches must have told thenm to go with it.
However, the only things that lost us the game IMO was 1: not having Brady on the bench to sub JPP after 55 when he was clearly wilting and cramping - it was 24 degrees outside, and probbaly nearer 30 on the pitch, and 2: whoever had the ridiculous game plan for the second half. We then compunded it with howlers.

Once upon a time we used to do this frequently, passed along the line with static ball and didn't sub intelligently. Also at that time we had no use for the Academy. Surely a coincidence...... :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

jgriffin wrote:On two occasions that I could see plainly from my seat near the front, the Bath 3 gripped under Genge and pulled down, Bath pen. I also predicted exactly what would happen when we had a 5m scrum, they fold, they get pen decision against us - called it before the scrum started. At halftime the Bath coaches must have told thenm to go with it.
However, the only things that lost us the game IMO was 1: not having Brady on the bench to sub JPP after 55 when he was clearly wilting and cramping - it was 24 degrees outside, and probbaly nearer 30 on the pitch, and 2: whoever had the ridiculous game plan for the second half. We then compunded it with howlers.

Once upon a time we used to do this frequently, passed along the line with static ball and didn't sub intelligently. Also at that time we had no use for the Academy. Surely a coincidence...... :smt017
Was Brady not injured in one of the last few games?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

On reflection i think we would have won will if GP Doyle had made the vital correct decisions, the scrum penalty against us when we were on the Bath line was comical, that was a certain 3 points or try, the yellow card for JP was overzealous and never a scoring opportunity, them two decisions as well as kicking the ball away to a sharp speedy Bath back line was u forgivable. Positives were Hamilton, becoming a great carrier, Genge, great at scrum time and makes hard yards, O'Connor, great around the breakdown and well earned try, Thompstone, great pace, solid player all round, Negatives, Mermoz, didn't really impact the game in anyway, thought we would see a big performance from him at the home of rugby, Burns, was steady but Ford outplayed him all over the park, Tait, again made his weekly big error, keep him as back up full back at the most. I still think we can nick 4th place. As for next season with Manu and Toomua back in the centres we have a outstanding back line, we need a new back up centre, as for the forwards, a big number 8 would help Hamilton, for me McGuigan needs to start at Hooker, T Youngs is on the decline, we have lots of options at Prop and lock.

And whoever mentioned JP being a poor signing clearly hasn't a clue, he is a quality player, he is committed and is international class.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:On two occasions that I could see plainly from my seat near the front, the Bath 3 gripped under Genge and pulled down, Bath pen. I also predicted exactly what would happen when we had a 5m scrum, they fold, they get pen decision against us - called it before the scrum started. At halftime the Bath coaches must have told thenm to go with it.

Could be wrong but wouldn't Brady come on to replace Tait when Tait got injured? Maybe Williams would of come on to replace Tait but what about when Burns had to come off who would come on for him?

Literally nothing the coaching team could of done about the backs sub so can't see why you are moaning about it. Injuries happen and it messed up our subbing plan.

2 point yeh not sure what our game plan was TBH.