For anyone planning to go to New Zealand for the Lions tour.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

For anyone planning to go to New Zealand for the Lions tour.

Post by Iain »

First of all, do it. I went in 2005 and it was fantastic and I'm insanely jealous of anyone going this year.

Secondly, you'll want to be aware of this kind gesture from hundreds of kiwis offering free accommodation. Typical of Kiwi rugby fans in my experience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39418577
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: For anyone planning to go to New Zealand for the Lions t

Post by trendylfj »

Totally agree with Ian. I went in 2005, organised everything myself and have done the same again. My cost this year for nearly 5 weeks away at present is just over £3000pp - that includes flights (1400), transfers (40), car hire (250), tickets (2 tests and 3 provincial)(680), hotels/motels in NZ (480), Singapore (90) and Los Angeles (230). You really need to start at least a year before if you are going to do it yourself though. It is the test tickets which are difficult to get - there were tickets available on the day for many of the provincial games last time. There are 6 of us going so that helped keep the costs down. The atmosphere at all of the games was electric and even met David, Johno's dad, wandering around with his favourite baggy green hat on at one of the games.
Hehehehehehehehe
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was living in Auckland at the time so just applied for the public allocation through having a New Zealand address. We just got very lucky and managed to get tickets for the final test, as well as five other tour matches. Managed to either walk to to the games in Auckland, crash on sofas for Rotorua, Dunedin and Hamilton, and some backwater redneck fishing town B&B in Riverton for Invercargill.

People find ways, a popular way will be renting motorhomes. Be warned though, New Zealand is mostly tiny and there will not be enough accommodation to go round in most towns.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Iain wrote:First of all, do it. I went in 2005 and it was fantastic and I'm insanely jealous of anyone going this year.

Secondly, you'll want to be aware of this kind gesture from hundreds of kiwis offering free accommodation. Typical of Kiwi rugby fans in my experience.

Try this BBC link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39418577 :smt023
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Iain wrote:First of all, do it. I went in 2005 and it was fantastic and I'm insanely jealous of anyone going this year.

The weather in Auckland had been great for the last two days, sunny and good views across the bays from the Sky Tower. The team are here tomorrow but the banter has started already.
The prices of Lions shirts here is about 3x the U.K. amazon price for the long sleeved variety.
Tickets are advertised locally and Eden Park looks just great.
Tigers flag flying from balcony!! :smt038
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Or, you could watch it on Sky for the cost of two months subscription....

:smt001
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wormus wrote:

The weather in Auckland had been great for the last two days, sunny and good views across the bays from the Sky Tower. The team are here tomorrow but the banter has started already.
The prices of Lions shirts here is about 3x the U.K. amazon price for the long sleeved variety.
Tickets are advertised locally and Eden Park looks just great.
Tigers flag flying from balcony!! :smt038
I'm really not jealous, really, really....... :smt022 :smt022 :smt022
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Roly wrote:Or, you could watch it on Sky for the cost of two months subscription....

How sad Roly, please remember that there are no money pockets in funeral shrouds!
It's known as Sking spending the kids inheritance! :smt045
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

wormus wrote:
Roly wrote:Or, you could watch it on Sky for the cost of two months subscription....

How sad Roly, please remember that there are no money pockets in funeral shrouds!
All in favour of that!
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

wormus wrote:

Know when NOT to wear your Lions top!
Today I went to the Waikato Chiefs training ground to view but they were all in intensive training 15 aside, very few there but I was able to stand unnoticed on the touch line whilst they were quick slick passing, scruming and practicing moves. All in all there were 15 past & present players All Black players on the pitch within feet of me and I was not disturbed - the event was being filmed & played back there, those present were Cruden, Retallick,Weber,Mitchell,Hames,Messam,KArpik,Donald,Pulu,McKenzie etc.
They really are giants when you are that close. Enjoy. :smt045
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

trendylfj wrote:Totally agree with Ian. I went in 2005, organised everything myself and have done the same again. My cost this year for nearly 5 weeks away at present is just over £3000pp - that includes flights (1400), transfers (40), car hire (250), tickets (2 tests and 3 provincial)(680), hotels/motels in NZ (480), Singapore (90) and Los Angeles (230). You really need to start at least a year before if you are going to do it yourself though. It is the test tickets which are difficult to get - there were tickets available on the day for many of the provincial games last time. There are 6 of us going so that helped keep the costs down. The atmosphere at all of the games was electric and even met David, Johno's dad, wandering around with his favourite baggy green hat on at one of the games.
How did you get the test tickets? When i was looking at it the only way i could find tickets was through the Lions official travel packages? Plan on doing the next one but would rather organise it myself than be tied to a tour
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: For anyone planning to go to New Zealand for the Lions tour.

Post by Iain »

How much are the price of tickets in dollars this year, just out of interest?

I think I paid $100 for the cheapest test tickets at Eden Park last time out, I assume it's much more this year.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

watsonjm wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am
trendylfj wrote:Totally agree with Ian. I went in 2005, organised everything myself and have done the same again. My cost this year for nearly 5 weeks away at present is just over £3000pp - that includes flights (1400), transfers (40), car hire (250), tickets (2 tests and 3 provincial)(680), hotels/motels in NZ (480), Singapore (90) and Los Angeles (230). You really need to start at least a year before if you are going to do it yourself though. It is the test tickets which are difficult to get - there were tickets available on the day for many of the provincial games last time. There are 6 of us going so that helped keep the costs down. The atmosphere at all of the games was electric and even met David, Johno's dad, wandering around with his favourite baggy green hat on at one of the games.
How did you get the test tickets? When i was looking at it the only way i could find tickets was through the Lions official travel packages? Plan on doing the next one but would rather organise it myself than be tied to a tour
Can you give me a shout when your back. Very interested in how you arranged it all (getting tickets in particular) in preparation for the 2021 tour.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: For anyone planning to go to New Zealand for the Lions tour.

Post by trendylfj »

Iain wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am How much are the price of tickets in dollars this year, just out of interest?

I think I paid $100 for the cheapest test tickets at Eden Park last time out, I assume it's much more this year.
Yes Ian you are right they were much more expensive due to £ v NZ$ rate = 1.86 I got - last time it was well over 2.60. I paid more than 400 NZ$ for each test both got in the 1st and 2nd ballot (cat A tickets). The provincials were much cheaper 60 NZ$ - 80 NZ$. There were even tickets for sale on the day in Wellington test from fans with spares
Hehehehehehehehe