South Africa in 6N?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: South Africa in 6N?

Post by h's dad »

Georgia take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. To be fair so does Israel and Morocco has been a previous participant. I think Noddy was in entertainment and leisure - did he have anything to do with this?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Georgia is a member of the Council of Europe.

In a sporting context they compete in the Rugby Europe Championship, are members of UEFA, are in the Europe zone of the Davis Cup, are in the Eurobasket basketball competition, the European Baseball Championship and compete at the European Athletics Championships.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Georgia may well look to Europe but a glance at the map would suggest its location is just North of Azerbijan and the Eastern extremity of Turkey on the Black Sea.

Most would suggest that is Asia!

As for the 6N being a Northern Hemisphere competition, I don't recall that being part of its identity.
Given it's origin it could be called an expanded British Isles tournament.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

tjs10 wrote:Georgia is a member of the Council of Europe.

In a sporting context they compete in the Rugby Europe Championship, are members of UEFA, are in the Europe zone of the Davis Cup, are in the Eurobasket basketball competition, the European Baseball Championship and compete at the European Athletics Championships.
Oh undoubtedly it looks towards Europe culturally. That's a hangover of its Soviet past of course.

But geographically it's in Western Asia. At best, it straddles Eastern Europe and Western Asia. Noddy's argument is that it absolutely was geographically in Asia, which I was just correcting.

You've known me long enough to know that if someone is defending something demonstrably incorrect and getting angry about it I'm only more than happy to argue against it even if I don't care all that much. :smt023

By the way, I thought of you with the demise of the Western Force. I hope you find more opportunities to watch decent rugby.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

So is the thin end of the wedge?

http://www.ruggas.co.za/?p=11211

Collaboration between SA schools and French Top14 clubs.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

All poster who think Georgia is in West Asia and not Europe are just showing their lack of Geographical Knowledge. They have more right to compete in the 6 nations than any other Southern Hemisphere team. Subject closed.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Noddy555 wrote:All poster who think Georgia is in West Asia and not Europe are just showing their lack of Geographical Knowledge. They have more right to compete in the 6 nations than any other Southern Hemisphere team. Subject closed.
I think you speak with an undue confidence, and perhaps reveal a lack of knowledge that you all to quickly accuse others of. Georgia is located in an area described as Eurasia, and so it's continental location may be regarded as ambiguous.

In anycase, whilst I might agree that Georgia may have a greater geographical claim to joining the 6N I personally like the idea of SA joining. Players of the Southern Hemisphere nations experience a lot of medical stress by having to cross so many time zones on such a regular basis, and so I think there is actually a player welfare argument for allowing SA to join the 6N.

And finally, I think you will find that the forum decides when a subject is closed, not you.

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't really care, but I would suggest that the Lions would then cancel tours to SA and go to the Pacific nations instead then.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

South Africa would only need to cross 1 time zone at most, Georgia probably 2 or 3. :smt017
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

LE18 wrote:South Africa would only need to cross 1 time zone at most, Georgia probably 2 or 3. :smt017
Yes, I meant that it would be better for SA if they were able to play in the 6N rather than the Rugby Championship.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Noddy555 wrote:All poster who think Georgia is in West Asia and not Europe are just showing their lack of Geographical Knowledge. They have more right to compete in the 6 nations than any other Southern Hemisphere team. Subject closed.
What right do either have to play in the 6N? Neither has more right than the other.

The 6N is not specifically a European competition or a Northern Hemisphere cup.

As for Noddy555's disparaging comments to those who dispute that Georgia is in Europe - I thought I would attach a link to http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/20 ... oundaries/ which attempts to define the boundary's of Europe and Asia, which would suggest that Georgia falls into both!
Last edited by mol2 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The 4 nations began as an internal competition between the British Isles nations, it was expanded when France joined and then went back to 4 when they left. It was the 5 nations when I first got into it and whilst I don't mind Italy being in it, nor even do I mind if relegation was introduced. What I find impossible is any expansion, when there are currently plans to condense the competition. If any other team wants in, they will have to join a lower league and win promotion, including any from outside of our immediate geographical area.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

tigerburnie wrote:The 4 nations began as an internal competition between the British Isles nations, it was expanded when France joined and then went back to 4 when they left. It was the 5 nations when I first got into it and whilst I don't mind Italy being in it, nor even do I mind if relegation was introduced. What I find impossible is any expansion, when there are currently plans to condense the competition. If any other team wants in, they will have to join a lower league and win promotion, including any from outside of our immediate geographical area.
If things aren't managed properly, it will expand to the point where there is a global competition once every four years.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Roly wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:The 4 nations began as an internal competition between the British Isles nations, it was expanded when France joined and then went back to 4 when they left. It was the 5 nations when I first got into it and whilst I don't mind Italy being in it, nor even do I mind if relegation was introduced. What I find impossible is any expansion, when there are currently plans to condense the competition. If any other team wants in, they will have to join a lower league and win promotion, including any from outside of our immediate geographical area.
If things aren't managed properly, it will expand to the point where there is a global competition once every four years.
Nah that'll never catch on..................
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

drc_007 wrote:So is the thin end of the wedge?

http://www.ruggas.co.za/?p=11211

Collaboration between SA schools and French Top14 clubs.

Oakham School are touring SA this year. Grandson going.