Freddie & Owen

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Freddie & Owen

Post by newport tiger »

On what has been an emotional weekend where we said goodbye to a coach who the vast majority of supporters felt was getting it right, i would like to pay tribute to our departing 10's. Freddie has improved so much during his time here, yes he has that maverick streak to his game which can occasionally go wrong but he is a joy to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces George at both Bath & England. As for Owen he has been the ultimate professional in his attitude, always prepared to play in any position and never complaining about lack of game time which may have cost him the chance to play international rugby. One criticism people make is that he is a bit too conservative but in yesterdays game we saw him make a brilliant break. If he gets regular starts at Gloucester he may well become the finished article.
So not only have we just got rid of one of the best young coaches in the game, we could potentially be about to lose both the England & Wales flyhalves.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Freddie & Owen

Post by Hull Fan »

I honestly cant see Burns replacing Ford for England but you just never know. He certainly has improved over recent months.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Very sad to see them both go and why are they both going?!

One of them ok with Ford arriving, but to lose both is crazy unless we are signing another quality 10...?
Soggypitch
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If you were able to put FB + OW on a seesaw and GF on the other and hope to balance their importance to the Tigers, the fulcrum would have to be underneath OW for it to balance. Therefore another quality signing is essential - not a project but an experienced player who can also kick.
Hehehehehehehehe
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

trendylfj wrote:If you were able to put FB + OW on a seesaw and GF on the other and hope to balance their importance to the Tigers, the fulcrum would have to be underneath OW for it to balance. Therefore another quality signing is essential - not a project but an experienced player who can also kick.
Were you a science teacher? thought it was music! This is impressive mechanics, more scientific postings please :smt024
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Completely echo the sentiments in this post. Both of the lads are professionals through and through and I will be sad to see them go. I especially think Freddie with Toomua outside of him and Manu would be a different player and would still rather have him over Ford.
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

brooksey845 wrote:Completely echo the sentiments in this post. Both of the lads are professionals through and through and I will be sad to see them go. I especially think Freddie with Toomua outside of him and Manu would be a different player and would still rather have him over Ford.
I thought FB and OW were brilliant for you at Saints - I saw alot of the early FB yesterday when he came to Glaws and he can certainly win a game for you - you shouldnt be letting him go.

Bob
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Stu_F wrote:
trendylfj wrote:If you were able to put FB + OW on a seesaw and GF on the other and hope to balance their importance to the Tigers, the fulcrum would have to be underneath OW for it to balance. Therefore another quality signing is essential - not a project but an experienced player who can also kick.
Were you a science teacher? thought it was music! This is impressive mechanics, more scientific postings please :smt024
I have had to teach a wide variety of subjects but surely you know the A of D = M of A if T of K is a constant theorem. I could go on to the principles of using a Liebig condenser efficiently, abstract algebra or even differential equations with boundary value problems but I won't cos that is not on the topic of this thread. 2 good players available all season are replaced by one who will miss a third of the season is not good business in my book.
Hehehehehehehehe
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well FB and OW going at the same time to be replaced by flakey Ford is, for me, another sympton of the board having lost the plot.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

[quote="trendylfj 2 good players available all season are replaced by one who will miss a third of the season is not good business in my book.[/quote]

All 3 were on show this weekend in difficult, blustery conditions. Even when Bath seemed to have parity (or better)Ford still looked the least creative, the most eager to ship it on and the most targetted by runners as perhaps he is perceived as a defensive weakness. To be fair, he didn't shirk tackles but he was flattered in the 6 Nations by having a dominant pack (and Ben). On the days when our pack is not dominant I do not think he will perform as well as our existing duo. Does it really have to be Frexit?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Soggypitch wrote:Very sad to see them both go and why are they both going?!

One of them ok with Ford arriving, but to lose both is crazy unless we are signing another quality 10...?
Owen Williams is leaving because he was offered double his wage so chose money over staying.

Freddie Burns is going because, either:
1. Tigers couldn't afford him and Ford
2. Tigers wanted to keep him but he didn't want to fight for his place with Ford
No one is sure whether it is number 1 or 2 apart from coaches, the board and Freddie Burns.

We will be signing another 10 as back up to George Ford. Toby Flood and more recently, Joe Ford have been mentioned.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I honestly think Freddie is the better player. Gutted he's going. Has really blossomed into a fantastic player this season. Terrible time to move him on.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We wont notice the difference, when George is not here, Joe will be doing the job! :smt009
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Fascinating to read the Bath message board which started as the exact mirror of this; moaning about losing Ford and complaining about Freddie. Recently, after some have watched Fred in a little more detail some of that has changed and many are looking forward to Freddie's arrival with some sharp criticism of Ford's skills and character.

I still want a new referendum - STOP FREXIT. Tell Freddie he's welcome here, to continue his development
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina