Ellis Genge

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge

Post by G.K »

Has to go to Argentina in the Summer. If that goes well I'd expect him to be the starting LH in the Autumn.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

G.K wrote:Has to go to Argentina in the Summer. If that goes well I'd expect him to be the starting LH in the Autumn.
Don't think he is quite at Mako's level yet but certainly ready to usurp Marler
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Mark62 wrote:
G.K wrote:Has to go to Argentina in the Summer. If that goes well I'd expect him to be the starting LH in the Autumn.
Don't think he is quite at Mako's level yet but certainly ready to usurp Marler
Tend to disagree - technically I think he'll overtake both Mako (bores in) and Marler shortly.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

trendylfj wrote:He was the MOM for me today and the main reason we won - just brilliant
I agree 100%
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

That was his best game for us. The more I see him scrummaging and the more I see him dominating tightheads, the more it looks to me like he's really benefited from working with Ayerza.
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

He certainly has the aggression to be a quality international front-rower, combined with possibly more pace than any other international in that position. His scrummaging is improving rapidly - hardly surprising bearing in mind the players he can learn from at Tigers. I still think his defensive positioning and over-eagerness to run up a blind alley are signs of immaturity and I do think that experienced props in a tight international match might know how to get him sent off! The England tour to Argentina would be the perfect place for him to really grow in those aspects, and he's surely one of the first names on the team sheet for that.
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agree with all posters re Ellis.
Certainly not the player we inherited from Bristol and all credit to him for applying himself. Good mentorship and IMHO man of the match.
If what is reported is true then why not get in the mind set of Brooks and ask the question.
He is international class and as others have posted is controlling his aggressive nature.
Marler was as ill disciplined and got his Rose shirt.
Ellis needs the chance and for me is worth it.
Please let it be post season, for Tigers need him at present.
He made Tom Youngs look a good hooker and took some of the strain.
Hoping he does similar at Hq against the other foe Bath.
Hope we can keep him- we have questioned recruitment in recent times -here's one we got right.
Come on you TIGERS
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Ellis Genge has developed superbly this season and is now even ahead of Marcos. His scrummaging, with Cole as a rock opposite is really destructive and in the loose he has the leg power of Manu! He is even in control of his temperament. :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Iain wrote:That was his best game for us. The more I see him scrummaging and the more I see him dominating tightheads, the more it looks to me like he's really benefited from working with Ayerza.
I remember Kay saying in commentary that Ayerza and Stanko really liked working together in training and developing their technique. A young player like Genge with all that potential, there's not many better mentors.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

murphy15 wrote:I do think that experienced props in a tight international match might know how to get him sent off!
I like his demeanour on the pitch though. He obviously chats a lot but isn't overtly aggressive in this and when people start raising arms and grabbing each other it seems that Ellis always keeps his arms down. I think sides are probably trying very hard to wind him up but are getting very little in return, which may in part be to the experience of those playing around him.

He lets his running and scrummaging do the talking. :smt001
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote:
Iain wrote:That was his best game for us. The more I see him scrummaging and the more I see him dominating tightheads, the more it looks to me like he's really benefited from working with Ayerza.
I remember Kay saying in commentary that Ayerza and Stanko really liked working together in training and developing their technique. A young player like Genge with all that potential, there's not many better mentors.
...and every loosehead needs a good tighthead opposite him in training. With Marcos, Boris and Coley, it couldn't get much better!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:
...and every loosehead needs a good tighthead opposite him in training. With Marcos, Boris and Coley, it couldn't get much better!
You still can't fault our front row recruitment. On the LH we have Ayerza, Genge and Rizzo, on the TH we have Cole, Cilliers and Mulipola. With the fact Bateman was being talked about as a potential Wales squad member this year (and depending on Lions call ups, could be in the summer) we have a plethora of top quality, international props and you can see why we can let players like Balmain move on. You'd hope if Ayerza is stepping back next season, Rizzo will be offered a new deal and we can bring on, or in, a new LH (probably the latter to replace Brugnara).

Meanwhile we may as well consider moving Mulipola back to the back row! :smt003
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Meanwhile we may as well consider moving Mulipola back to the back row! :smt003[/quote]

Yes! Mulipola @8! Genius! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not sure we'll see Logo playing again. He's become Manuesque.

Ayerza is also almost done I think.

Great guys at their best.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Maidman wrote:
Meanwhile we may as well consider moving Mulipola back to the back row! :smt003
Yes! Mulipola @8! Genius! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Well, he was an 8 when we signed him. :smt001