Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:Wonder if this might help Thacker signing?

Not saying it would but he might be more tempted to sign a year deal with a new head coach than stay under one who isn't really playing him?
I think you might see some churn now, there are some who were here (coaches and players) when MOC was last here, and I can think of one coach who may move on. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:
RagingBull wrote:Wonder if this might help Thacker signing?

Not saying it would but he might be more tempted to sign a year deal with a new head coach than stay under one who isn't really playing him?
I think you might see some churn now, there are some who were here (coaches and players) when MOC was last here, and I can think of one coach who may move on. :smt004
It will be a mix.

Despite what people think MOC did have a few player that supported him esp in the backs and not many forwards are left from when he was here.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Note to self:
Check with GCHQ and White House that this isn't Fake News...
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I would like to think that the powers that be in the Tigers's board room are slightly more better judges of O'Connor's competence as Head Coach than the likes of me and the rest of the doom mongers on this forum.
So his language has been a bit "blue" in the past? That's ok with me, as long as it's not within earshot of the public, which I believe it was once or twice when he was here before, so he'll have to learn to control it.
Do we really believe that Peter Tom & co would have appointed him without having confidence in him? Surely there would have been other more than competent coaches who would have given their right arm to work at Leicester, so why wasn't one of them appointed? I don't know who was available and who may have been considered but at the end of the day it's O'Connor in charge, so let's get the beefing over and done with and get behind him and the players for the rest of the season and secure that fourth place.
Meanwhile, I sincerely hope that the players pull something out of the hat on Saturday at Saints so that Mauger can go on his way with a degree of satisfaction on his face.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With the dust now settling I think we can see a pattern here, one that has repeated itself.
Lets face it, all have been screaming for change and saying how bad things have been(not something I think is totally right).
A clean(ish) sweep with a new broom is basically what most of you have been demanding, some for several years. Well you now have what you asked for, Cockers and his head coach gone, will some of the under performing players also go, who knows?
I didn't like the way Deano was removed, but this is just a repeat action, one that we will have to wait and see as to how things pan out.
I hope we get back some of the Tigerishness that seems to have departed in the past couple of years.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Robespierre wrote:I would like to think that the powers that be in the Tigers's board room are slightly more better judges of O'Connor's competence as Head Coach than the likes of me and the rest of the doom mongers on this forum.
So his language has been a bit "blue" in the past? That's ok with me, as long as it's not within earshot of the public, which I believe it was once or twice when he was here before, so he'll have to learn to control it.
Do we really believe that Peter Tom & co would have appointed him without having confidence in him? Surely there would have been other more than competent coaches who would have given their right arm to work at Leicester, so why wasn't one of them appointed? I don't know who was available and who may have been considered but at the end of the day it's O'Connor in charge, so let's get the beefing over and done with and get behind him and the players for the rest of the season and secure that fourth place.
Meanwhile, I sincerely hope that the players pull something out of the hat on Saturday at Saints so that Mauger can go on his way with a degree of satisfaction on his face.
MOC left this club in search of greener pastures and his record since does not chime with any assumption that he is the most competent coach available to Tigers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Post by newbie »

One can only assume that the more recent upturn in form is not being credited to AM but rather the other coaches in particular Brett Deacon and Boris who since their promotion/appointment have had an impact on the team and it was notable that during the AWC final that Ben Kay in commentary was singing their praises and the affect that they have had.

Although I agree with the many that the appointment of MOC is somewhat underwhelming and we do need a new forwards coach.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

May as well get the depression over with in one foul swoop. Mike Ford for DoR
I'm not cynical just experienced
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote:MOC left this club in search of greener pastures and his record since does not chime with any assumption that he is the most competent coach available to Tigers.
Was he a competent enough coach in the 5 years he was at Tigers?

I think the Leinster job was a poisoned chalice. He did OK but some of the Leinster greats were retiring and the dominance of the provinces in Europe was sliding. And as I understand the DoR at Queensland was sacked after two games after MOC joined so again I am thinking he didn't walk into the easiest situation.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mrs G's pennyworth as a STH? Cheap option. She looks forward to the re-creation of 2012-13 with Smurf sorting stuff out :smt002
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:
sapajo wrote:MOC left this club in search of greener pastures and his record since does not chime with any assumption that he is the most competent coach available to Tigers.

I think the Leinster job was a poisoned chalice. He did OK but some of the Leinster greats were retiring and the dominance of the provinces in Europe was sliding. And as I understand the DoR at Queensland was sacked after two games after MOC joined so again I am thinking he didn't walk into the easiest situation.
When Mauger was appointed the general view was that the traditional Tigers dominated forwards game had passed its sell by date and hence the board looked to him to move and develop our game beyond this. All that I can say is that I cannot see MOC as the right person to continue to develop and evolve our game, and I fear that AM's baby will be thrown out with the bath water and we will retreat backwards. Reeks of desperation ie go back to a coach who jointly brought silverware but ignore the overwhelming reality that both the game and the opposition have moved on.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote:
ourla wrote:

When Mauger was appointed the general view was that the traditional Tigers dominated forwards game had passed its sell by date and hence the board looked to him to move and develop our game beyond this. All that I can say is that I cannot see MOC as the right person to continue to develop and evolve our game, and I fear that AM's baby will be thrown out with the bath water and we will retreat backwards. Reeks of desperation ie go back to a coach who jointly brought silverware but ignore the overwhelming reality that both the game and the opposition have moved on.
I am not saying you are definitely wrong in the broader sense but I've little doubt he's a competent coach. Whether he is the right man at the right time will tell. The management of the change seems messy but I understand the logic of him coming now being for the longer term benefit. Just seems to me to be some poor presentation of the news to players and fans alike.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

What an awful time to be a Tigers supporter..club being run in a farcical way :smt012

If only we could get rid of Cohen before our great club suffers more..

Scoured the world for Matt O'Connor.... :smt005

What.a.JOKE
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

sapajo wrote:
ourla wrote:

I'm inclined to agree that you can't judge MoC on Leinster. Presumably the selection process will have addressed the 'how do you take us forward given the constraints' question. As he has been appointed, MoC's answer must have been better than the other contenders. However the long term will have to wait. The present issue is to stop the turmoil affecting this seasons outcome.

I wonder how much the club will have spent on severance pay this season?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

As some posters are saying - whoever had followed Joe Schmidt at Leinster was going to struggle, especially as Sexton left for Racing at the same time.

I have no problem with AM not getting the job - we have been terrible since RC left except against the weakest opposition. And AM has been working with the players for nearly 2 years with nothing to show - its all well and good saying RC confused the message and gameplan etc, but the players would still have had 2 years of AM coaching drills etc.

That being said, I am still underwhelmed at the appointment of MOC.