Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Matt O'Connor In...Mauger Out

Post by Tigerbeat »

Players unhappy? The tweets that have gone out are all in praise for Mauger and how they have enjoyed working with him. Not sure how you can read that the players are unhappy and that Veanu wants to leave.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote:Fissler and Goode both seeming to suggest Ged Glynn taking the DoR role. Really???
Why not? Do you know the terms of reference for the DoR?
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Tigerbeat wrote:Players unhappy? The tweets that have gone out are all in praise for Mauger and how they have enjoyed working with him. Not sure how you can read that the players are unhappy and that Veanu wants to leave.
:smt023 +1

I have been to people's leaving dos and signed their cards and wished them well, not to celebrate but to make sure they are going. Depends how you construe it and people's perceptions.

The day after still underwhelmed, but we will have to see. Three years of poor play and record defeats in all competitions probably does mean that a seismic change is required, unfortunately that does mean casualties, nice guys don't always do it.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

This guy has a good philosophy, needs the minerals to make it happen but sends the right message

https://mobile.twitter.com/bballcoachma ... 9740869633
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Time will tell. Record since leaving Tigers where he had the assistance(or even resistance) of one RC is not great and not an appointment I expected.
I'm not cynical just experienced
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

We must be mad - is he really the right person to bring out the best in Ford , Toomua et al? what a shambles .
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Freddie must be thinking that its odd how sometimes something you thought was a turd turns out to be a pearl.
I'm not cynical just experienced
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

ellis9 wrote:There is no DOR role. The board are his boss, not a DOR.
Ged who? :smt002
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:
I think that is the point, all coaching responsibility lies with Matt O'Connor there will be no confusion over roles. The only person who is accountable for the performance on the field is Matt O'Connor.

Whilst I'm unconvinced by the appointment I think the clear defining of responsibility is a good thing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

drc_007 wrote:
thebearisstilldeano wrote:
I think that is the point, all coaching responsibility lies with Matt O'Connor there will be no confusion over roles. The only person who is accountable for the performance on the field is Matt O'Connor.

Whilst I'm unconvinced by the appointment I think the clear defining of responsibility is a good thing.
Agree with that.

Head coach in charge of Senior Rugby
Director of Rugby in charge of everything else.

it's a good move, whether MOC is the right person for the job remains to be seen but I'm not holding my breath.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Is O'Connor the right man? Possibly.

Has Mauger been harshly treated? Probably?

Is the timing bad? Absolutely.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigerbeat wrote:Players unhappy? The tweets that have gone out are all in praise for Mauger and how they have enjoyed working with him. Not sure how you can read that the players are unhappy and that Veanu wants to leave.
Here is what the Daily Telegraph think! :smt012 and the VEAINU tweet presumably after his Tongan team building experiences. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... er-tigers/
Mike Williams responded "We have lost a good man!" After a Maniac Monday I cannot see a Wonderful Wednesday's or many positive announcements from Tigers, perhaps other clubs announcing our players have transferred. The "Madgic" has gone out of Tigers - the natural Head Coach; and we cannot even cheer him off at a home game. :smt013 Things must be bad neither Noddy or Tigerbeat can spell the tweeting Veainu's name!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Noddy555 wrote:How can it not be a great decision? It seems to me that several posters have short memories. 3 Title Wins, an Anglo/Welsh cup win 2012 and a European final in 2009.
Isn't it remarkable that until last Sunday we had won zilch since he left. Is that because he was the driving force behind our success in those 5 years 2008 to 2013
and when he left it exposed Cockerill for what he was i.e. Useless!
You cannot be serious as are you not the same person who posted this:-
Noddy555 wrote:MOC has no chance of getting the appointment he's not even on the long list, I believe short list interviews are being carried out this week and an announcement will be made after the Saints game.
Careful what you say it may come back to haunt you.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder if this might help Thacker signing?

Not saying it would but he might be more tempted to sign a year deal with a new head coach than stay under one who isn't really playing him?
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Not really a surprise, Goode (and others) said it would be MoC weeks ago.

Leaving aside whether he is the right man at this moment - I think you have to give the board the benefit of the doubt on that - the process is woeful. At the point they sacked Cockers, I suggested they were injecting more risk and uncertainly into a fragile situation. Just as we are getting players back from injury (IMHO, that is the primary reason the side are looking better), the players are finding coherence and confidence and we have some momentum with five games to go, the club have taken a step that destabilises the playing side again. I don't think there is anything equivocal about Veainu's tweet.

I don't have any argument with the board taking the steps they think they need to make the club successful; they stand or fall (or should) on the decisions they take. I do question whether they have the capacity to manage any kind of transitional change, because this looks and feels like chaos.

The mind does boggle somewhat that a, presumably expensive, 'extensive executive search process' produces a head coach who used to be er...the head coach.