AWC final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AWC final

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back feeling proud of the Tigers' players and coaches. We were at Sarries too and in both games Tigers' passion and doggedness came back. The wind made things very difficult as was seen when Freddie' excellent kicks held up in the wind but went over for the points whereas their fly half' s went off target. Anthony Allen has, all through the Anglo a Welsh shown how players can defend: surely he should be promoted to first team defence coach! Both sets of fans were superb. Now on to a Saints. This could be really difficult as there were a lot of battered bodies out there and with Harrison, Evans, Slater, Ayerza, Logo, Manu and Toomoa out injured we can only hope the Anglo Welsh boys can step up several more gears for the rest of the season. For now though, we have a trophy: one that is very much worth winning. Brilliant Tigers today.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Brilliant defence, solid scrums and competing at the line outs, excellent performance. I just hope there is something left in the tank for next week.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Mark62 wrote:Genge immense, motm for me
He certainly put himself about nearly as much as McGuigan and HT and was immense in the tight.

On the Stoop screen at presentation time he was in tears!

Gonna be a great Tiger in the Farmer White mould - re-sign soon, please!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:This is a competetion which is given coverage by BT Sports and is one of the three trophies on offer each season.
The competition was brought in to continue with Club rugby during the Internationals. Some clubs have taken this as an opportunity to rest first team players and give up and coming players a chance. There are no rules that state each club should restict their selection and include so many developing players.
Tigers have used some of the fringe players, developing players and players returning from injury during the tournament scattered with some experience.
As for the spirit of the competition, Tigers have done no wrong. The Exeter team was also scattered with experience and other players.

If this competition was meant for Developing Players, play it as such but this was a major Domestic Trophy up for grabs in the eyes of the organisers and BT Sport.

Anyone complaining about the make up of the squads ought to look at the squads for Sarries v Exeter in the 2015 final. Very little different to what was on show today.
The competition has become muddled and recent attendances reflect this IMO.
Not Leicester's fault at all, but if rules were present then it'd be clearer what the competition actually is.
I was particularly disappointed that some of the young lads from the semi-final away at Sarries were omitted for the final.
On the game itself I didn't think it was a great game, surprisingly could've gone either way and personally I thought Chiefs had a perfectly good try disallowed that came off Thacker's knee whilst Salvi's fingertips were still in contact with the ball.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

BFG wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:This is a competetion which is given coverage by BT Sports and is one of the three trophies on offer each season.
The competition was brought in to continue with Club rugby during the Internationals. Some clubs have taken this as an opportunity to rest first team players and give up and coming players a chance. There are no rules that state each club should restict their selection and include so many developing players.
Tigers have used some of the fringe players, developing players and players returning from injury during the tournament scattered with some experience.
As for the spirit of the competition, Tigers have done no wrong. The Exeter team was also scattered with experience and other players.

If this competition was meant for Developing Players, play it as such but this was a major Domestic Trophy up for grabs in the eyes of the organisers and BT Sport.

Anyone complaining about the make up of the squads ought to look at the squads for Sarries v Exeter in the 2015 final. Very little different to what was on show today.
The competition has become muddled and recent attendances reflect this IMO.
Not Leicester's fault at all, but if rules were present then it'd be clearer what the competition actually is.
I was particularly disappointed that some of the young lads from the semi-final away at Sarries were omitted for the final.
On the game itself I didn't think it was a great game, surprisingly could've gone either way and personally I thought Chiefs had a perfectly good try disallowed that came off Thacker's knee whilst Salvi's fingertips were still in contact with the ball.
Salvis fingertips knocked the ball forward on to Thackers knee.....correct call.....knock on.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tigerbeat
Salvis fingertips knocked the ball forward on to Thackers knee.....correct call.....knock on.
IMO Salvi's fingertips never broke contact with the ball before Thacker's knee hit the ball, it never even went forward off Salvi's fingertips but merely a ball spin, it was pretty obvious really but one in our favour so who cares!
Ref was his usual self and IMO he couldn't even set an uncontested scrum without making it collapse, our way yesterday but they are a lottery!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Interestingly I thought the scrummaging was good yesterday.Genge Balmain et al played well but credit also to Exeter who actually wanted to stand up and scrum instead of the usual falling over stuff as soon as you're beaten like they do far too often these days
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote:
Tigerbeat
IMO Salvi's fingertips never broke contact with the ball before Thacker's knee hit the ball, it never even went forward off Salvi's fingertips but merely a ball spin, it was pretty obvious really but one in our favour so who cares!
Ref was his usual self and IMO he couldn't even set an uncontested scrum without making it collapse, our way yesterday but they are a lottery!
I disagree. The ball clearly came off Salvis fingers and hit Thackers knee. It was a clear knock on which could be seen straight away and live speed. Fair enough they wanted to check it with the TMO but once they showed the first replay that was enough to call a knock on. I was surprised they looked at it so many times. If that would have been given as a try, then it would have been ludicrous!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:
BFG wrote:
Tigerbeat
I disagree. The ball clearly came off Salvis fingers and hit Thackers knee. It was a clear knock on which could be seen straight away and live speed. Fair enough they wanted to check it with the TMO but once they showed the first replay that was enough to call a knock on. I was surprised they looked at it so many times. If that would have been given as a try, then it would have been ludicrous!
Seemed obvious to me aswell, I couldn't believe the TMO suggested otherwise. Also I had inkling Salvi fumbled it because it was a forward pass. The grounding was short of the line also I believe. So take your pick of three IMO.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

(removed post)
Last edited by jgriffin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

There were two forward passes IMO in that move, irrespective of the knock-on; I thought the TMO call would be for the second one.
Genge gave both Chiefs THs a torrid time it seemed, most scrums they were lifted or popped, except when he conned a penalty by shifting his head under the THs so that their shove drove him down, illegally to the refs eyes.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BFG wrote:
Tigerbeat
Before Salvi touched it, the ball was travelling horizontally then immediatley post touching his fingertips it travelled straight downwards. As Foley could be heard saying "the ball definately changed direction". Enough said :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

A rare occasion where I could neither be there or watch it unfortunately. But great to see we've won a game where we needed dogged defence and organisation, and great to win silverware.

In nominal terms, it doesn't mean THAT much that we won this. It has largely been treated by most teams as the developmental stop-gap that it was intended. Most teams won't fear us any more for us winning it.

But my word, after the season we've had it doesn't half give us a morale boost. Much needed. Everyone looked delighted.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Well done the lads though I do look forward to the day when the fans get to see the front of the presentation stand.
In addition I noticed that when we poured champagne into the trophy it ran straight out at the base. I feel the competition should be renamed the Anglo-Welsh Funnel.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

ellis9 wrote:
BFG wrote:
Tigerbeat

I was surprised the TMO didn't spot the attempted trip on Harry whilst reviewing it..
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..