Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: AWC final

Post by jgriffin »

Saxon wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Well done Tigers, well done Murphy and coaches and well done Richard Cockerill- these are after all the players you brought to the club :smt023
Sadly, whilst Mr Cockerill was a Tigers legend he proved incapable of getting the best out of this squad. Geordie deserves the credit for this win. Well done to all the team, a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.
Cockers always handed AW and 7s control to Smurf as he believed Smurf woukd be DOR one day. Some of these players were Cockers projects like Lochie and Harry, and he was instigator or party to their signing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Fantastic game to watch. Couldn't be happier to be honest. A huge effort by Tigers and even when they made a few mistakes rectified them with effort & heart - brilliant.
Yes,defence was great but you've got to have points on the board for that so congrats to Brady and Burns, particularly the latter off the tee on such a windy day - 100% I think, whereas their man missed two, one of them a dead cert on less windy days.
Agree with Hantstiger - Bodilly looked a menace every time he got the ball.
Silverware.....that'll do nicely!!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

BFG wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
BFG wrote:I would've preferred half a dozen more youngsters involved.
McCaffery MoM IMO, best 7 at Leicester.
To be brutally honest I don't think selection has been in the true spirit of this competition and IMO firmer rules and limits on age etc are needed if any integrity is to be preserved.
I think the attendance showed just how much integrity has been lost!
But apart from the average age; the MotM; the spirit of selection; the lax rules; the integrity of the competition and the attendance...did you enjoy it?!?! :smt003
Not sure to be totally honest!
I think this competition has become little more than a PR exercise into Cockers boots of which I'm afraid they have proved just not big enough to fill those boots as yet.

Had they been a bit bolder and gone and won it or lost it with bottle then fair play!
There's no point in going on is there: someone take me to a Swiss clinic...........
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Fantastic Now that's the silverware for this season taken care of, so let's make it a good season by grabbing that 4th spot in the Aviva.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Just got back and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that match. Great defence for much of the second half, though I reckon too many tackles were missed in mid field.
As already noted, Freddie was terrific. Certainly had his kicking boots on more than their fly half! Nice to hear his name being chanted as the players came round to our side of the ground on the lap of honour.
I know it's a something of nothing competition, but we won and in style. Well done lads.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This is a competetion which is given coverage by BT Sports and is one of the three trophies on offer each season.
The competition was brought in to continue with Club rugby during the Internationals. Some clubs have taken this as an opportunity to rest first team players and give up and coming players a chance. There are no rules that state each club should restict their selection and include so many developing players.
Tigers have used some of the fringe players, developing players and players returning from injury during the tournament scattered with some experience.
As for the spirit of the competition, Tigers have done no wrong. The Exeter team was also scattered with experience and other players.

If this competition was meant for Developing Players, play it as such but this was a major Domestic Trophy up for grabs in the eyes of the organisers and BT Sport.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yep many congratulations Leicester!! Enjoyed the game, 2nd half was an examination which our defence just passed.

Sincerely hope it's a springboard to 4th place in the prem!!!
Soggypitch
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigerbeat wrote:This is a competetion which is given coverage by BT Sports and is one of the three trophies on offer each season.
The competition was brought in to continue with Club rugby during the Internationals. Some clubs have taken this as an opportunity to rest first team players and give up and coming players a chance. There are no rules that state each club should restict their selection and include so many developing players.
Tigers have used some of the fringe players, developing players and players returning from injury during the tournament scattered with some experience.
As for the spirit of the competition, Tigers have done no wrong. The Exeter team was also scattered with experience and other players.

If this competition was meant for Developing Players, play it as such but this was a major Domestic Trophy up for grabs in the eyes of the organisers and BT Sport.

Anyone complaining about the make up of the squads ought to look at the squads for Sarries v Exeter in the 2015 final. Very little different to what was on show today.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well done to all concerned :smt023

I said some time ago that Tigers should target this trophy and get some silverware back in the cabinet. Never understood why it's held in low esteem by some, it's effectively the equivalemt of the FA cup. :smt017

Only thing is - what were Tigers doing faffing about in the second half? Great defence but come on, wind behind and against 14 men for the first bit yet hardly mounted any attacks.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The only real downside was the moronic announcer and his dumb half-time 'entertainment', the music blaring from the speakers every time the clock stopped and £4.80 a pint for an indifferent, warmish IPA
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

absolutely brilliant that we have won some silverware. Shame we wasted the possession we had in the 2nd half which allowed Exeter to keep piling the pressure on until eventually they scored. Thought Betham was pretty poor today, had opportunities to run straight and chip over the top but panicked IMHO.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Cannot understand what has happened to Betham. The first season he was with us he was mercurial, teflon coated and with sticky palms; since then....
Great performances from Freddie, Tait,Brady and all the forwards but where was Welford? They had their mascot, where was ours??????
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: where was Welford? They had their mascot, where was ours??????
Might have had something to do with Exeter being the "home" side so no Welford at an away game?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Doh!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/39322200

Seems Leicester is becoming the centre of the sporting universe again :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.