Ford working on his kicking?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BIttySmalls

Ford working on his kicking?

Post by BIttySmalls »

https://twitter.com/GavinMairs/status/8 ... 7763107841

Looks like Jonny is helping George with his kicking.

Really can't wait to see Ford with Youngs, Tuilagi & Toomua. I know there are some particular Ford doom mongers on here but I for one am really excited about having him back.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford working on his kicking?

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BIttySmalls wrote:https://twitter.com/GavinMairs/status/8 ... 7763107841

Looks like Jonny is helping George with his kicking.

Really can't wait to see Ford with Youngs, Tuilagi & Toomua. I know there are some particular Ford doom mongers on here but I for one am really excited about having him back.
George has been working on his kicking for goal since before he was Toby's understudy at Tigers. And from what I have seen from then up to now (in various performances for Bath), he still can be very iffy. I'm not having a go at him, just saying what I have seen. That and his defence (which is always going to be a struggle given his size) are the only issues I have with him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Can we bring Jonny in as a coach/mentor please?! What a bloke to have around the training ground and players!
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Cagey Tiger wrote:That and his defence (which is always going to be a struggle given his size) are the only issues I have with him.
The massive size difference of one whole inch between him and Wilkinson (who was obviously renowned for his really shocking defense) :smt018

The reason why Ford is rubbish at tackling is because his technique is poor; Bath structured their entire defensive strategy around "Hide the George!" so he has been allowed to get away with not doing it. He should ask Jonny for tips on that too whilst he is there.

I will reserve judgement until he has been here a year and see how much progress he makes on his weaknesses before I decide if he is a true Tiger, or an overpaid prima donna (I obviously hope the former, but fear the latter...)
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LittleBigG wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:That and his defence (which is always going to be a struggle given his size) are the only issues I have with him.
The massive size difference of one whole inch between him and Wilkinson (who was obviously renowned for his really shocking defense) :smt018

The reason why Ford is rubbish at tackling is because his technique is poor; Bath structured their entire defensive strategy around "Hide the George!" so he has been allowed to get away with not doing it. He should ask Jonny for tips on that too whilst he is there.

I will reserve judgement until he has been here a year and see how much progress he makes on his weaknesses before I decide if he is a true Tiger, or an overpaid prima donna (I obviously hope the former, but fear the latter...)
He's never shy about putting his shoulder in. He's actually pretty good at the low traditional tackle but that's not really the style of defence England go in for. Remember Gustard's mantra is all about making contact and trying to stop the opposition either behind the gain line or as close to it as possible. The aim is to stop momentum with the weight of numbers coming in will finish the tackle. It's why Saracens often have a high number of missed tackles but a phenomenal defence.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Don't be worried about place kicking next season as both Veianu and Toomua have a good boot on them, To me this is the only weak point in Fords armour as his tactical kicking from hand is superb as demonstrated last Saturday in the Scotland game.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Noddy555 wrote:Don't be worried about place kicking next season as both Veianu and Toomua have a good boot on them,
Can honestly say I have never seen Veainu place kicking before :smt017 would love to see any footage, his kicking from hand hasn't been consistent or always convincing though it has shown some improvement, hopefully his goal kicks are better.... :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Jonny is helping Ford with England. Maybe Ford should take a leaf out of Freddie's book and pay for his own kicking coach at club level.
Valhalla I am coming!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Don't be worried about place kicking next season as both Veianu and Toomua have a good boot on them,
Can honestly say I have never seen Veainu place kicking before :smt017 would love to see any footage, his kicking from hand hasn't been consistent or always convincing though it has shown some improvement, hopefully his goal kicks are better.... :smt002
Veainu to the best of my knowledge has never kicked at the top level, while Toomua has done so on very rare occasions.

Another Noddy classic.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

fleabane wrote:Jonny is helping Ford with England. Maybe Ford should take a leaf out of Freddie's book and pay for his own kicking coach at club level.
Jonny is also helping Farrell. Perhaps Farrell could pay for his own attack coach?

Of course, we have to have a pop at Ford as he is replacing the much loved Burns. Maybe Ford is practicing a different way.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Burns took kicking coaching from Grayson to improve his place kicking too. What's the issue?

All sounds good to me! :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Oh yeah I agree Iain but someone suggested Ford should do the same. Perhaps he already is.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

A good idea to get some coaching off a former player like Wilkinson IMO, nothing wrong in that at all and it can only help.
Having seen George slot them over easily when his team are steam rolling opposition and then fail miserably in tight games I think it's about pressure, something Wilkinson knows a lot about, whether George can match that remains to be seen!
Also get some advice about tackling but I doubt that'll ever be fully remedied, he is just not very strong it's as simple as that.
Personally I think Toomua is going to have his work cut out with George inside and Manu outside!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

LittleBigG wrote:

Before you start wagging fingers, read my words carefully. Note that I said "size", not "height". :smt018

Somewhat different. Difficult to be exact, but I would say that George is a slighter build than Jonny.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Iain wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:
Veainu to the best of my knowledge has never kicked at the top level, while Toomua has done so on very rare occasions.

Another Noddy classic.
Ben Youngs on the other hand we know can kick along with Shazam. He just never has (in a competitive fixture). Maybe our place kickers could be wearing 9 next season. How Gallic! :smt003