England play the All Blacks - a question

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

England play the All Blacks - a question

Post by ourla »

Why haven't England met since Autumn 2014 and not due to meet until 2018 at the earliest?

There is a theory it's money related but does anyone have any quotes or knowledge that confirm how it has come about?
BeeJ

Re: England play the All Blacks - a question

Post by BeeJ »

ourla wrote:There is a theory it's money related but does anyone have any quotes or knowledge that confirm how it has come about?
Have you tried asking the RFU?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm ... rance-fee/

I've heard this from many sources so I suspect it is correct
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

drc_007 wrote:http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm ... rance-fee/

Cheers, that makes a bit of sense.

AB's are clearly trying to capitalise on their status and reputation but it looks like they're not holding much of a hand.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Money, and also seeing as it's probably a fair bet that it will be a loss, playing them in the first couple of years of the 4 year cycle doesn't do your world ranking any good - and therefore your RWC seeding.

If you're expecting to be in the 3-8 bracket in the world rankings (whcih England probably would have been post RWC2015) the last thing you need is a loss pushing you down. England can fill Twickenham quite happily without having to host the ABs, so why risk it.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

drc_007 wrote:http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm ... rance-fee/

Yep, I've heard that too. Ridiculous position for the ABs to take, and they may regret it. Negotiations over this start after the Lions tour I think, as there's no agreement for any further tours by the BILs.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Ourla although the England team will not play the All Blacks until next year don't forget that the British Lions have three tests against them this summer and I suspect that 7 or 8 England players will be in the starting line-up for each test, so we may learn invaluable lessons from these performances.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Noddy555 wrote:Ourla although the England team will not play the All Blacks until next year don't forget that the British Lions have three tests against them this summer and I suspect that 7 or 8 England players will be in the starting line-up for each test, so we may learn invaluable lessons from these performances.
All very true, but doesn't address the OP.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Noddy555 wrote:Ourla although the England team will not play the All Blacks until next year don't forget that the British Lions have three tests against them this summer and I suspect that 7 or 8 England players will be in the starting line-up for each test, so we may learn invaluable lessons from these performances.
The RFU are already in discussion to play the All Blacks in November this year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39279647

Issues of money may still be a stumbling block
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

3m squid that could go into the grass roots game? Lots of good reasons NOT to arrange this, tactical, psychological etc as well as the £££
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

jgriffin wrote:3m squid that could go into the grass roots game? Lots of good reasons NOT to arrange this, tactical, psychological etc as well as the £££
To rebuild a NZ National Stadium say at Eden Park to increase capacity and self generate income for further works, glad to see JG doesn't want an artificial pitch but one for "the grass roots game!" :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Subsidising the NZ game? Didn'''''''t Joubert do enough that way in 2011? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Drc_007 I believe the date in question is the 4th of November which if true will fall three weeks after the final Southern Hemisphere National games, Initially the squad was due to travel on the 3rd of November as their first planned match was on the 11th but my contact in the travel industry of which I have many as I worked for 25 years in that industry, now says they have changed this departure date to 26 October.
fogba
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fogba »

Pleas note, the All Blacks will not be playing the British Lions this year. They will however be playing the British & IRISH Lions.
Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of God, now living in Leicester for my sins.
DC1989

Post by DC1989 »

Thanks, Fogba