Ireland vs England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Ireland vs England

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote:It's not that big of a game anymore. England are 2017 Six Nations Champions.
Some people say things to shock and or provoke, I think this is one such case
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's a Triple Crown up for grabs too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Over the past 5 years England v Ireland for me has always been the biggest game of the six nations and the one I look forward to the most especially the clash between 6 world class back rowers.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The trophy is won. If we lose the game, we are still Champions. That's why it's not as big as it would have been if Ireland were also unbeaten in the Six Nations.

The players are professional enough to still want to win the game and obviously I hope we win but if we lose it doesn't matter. Ok so we won't have won the Grand Slam but who cares? We are still Champions! Our unbeaten run will come to end. Oh well, it's got to end at some point and I'd rather it be now when the title is won than perhaps an early game on the 2018 Six Nations.

I don't say these things to shock or provoke.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Geordan Murphy will be playing in the Ireland Legends v England Legends game, which takes place on the eve of the Six Nations clash...

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/ireland-and ... t-the-rds/
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ellis9 wrote:The trophy is won. If we lose the game, we are still Champions. That's why it's not as big as it would have been if Ireland were also unbeaten in the Six Nations.

The players are professional enough to still want to win the game and obviously I hope we win but if we lose it doesn't matter. Ok so we won't have won the Grand Slam but who cares? We are still Champions! Our unbeaten run will come to end. Oh well, it's got to end at some point and I'd rather it be now when the title is won than perhaps an early game on the 2018 Six Nations.

Any Grand Slam game is a big game.

They have been incredibly hard to come by for England - even the class of '03 struggled repeatedly to get a Grand Slam
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

ellis9 wrote:The trophy is won. If we lose the game, we are still Champions. That's why it's not as big as it would have been if Ireland were also unbeaten in the Six Nations.

Grand Slam is an order of magnitude more important than being champions.

Back to back Grand Slams have only happened five times and only once in the last 20 years (and arguably never since rugby turned professional - I know 1997 and 1998 were officially pro but they're still a completely different game to now):
Wales 1908 & 1909
England 1913 & 1914
England 1923 & 1924
England 1991 & 1992
France 1997 & 1998

England have only had 2 Grand Slams since it became the 6N whereas France and Wales have 3 each so it would be nice to get on even terms.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I disagree. As long as the Six Nations title is won, why does it matter if we get the Grand Slam or not?!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Brianf wrote:Geordan Murphy will be playing in the Ireland Legends v England Legends game, which takes place on the eve of the Six Nations clash...

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/ireland-and ... t-the-rds/

Looking at the England squad, there's not a lot of "legends" there.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

I love the idea of Messrs. Dallaglio and O'Connell as the waterboys.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote:I disagree. As long as the Six Nations title is won, why does it matter if we get the Grand Slam or not?!

Do you know anything about Rugby? :smt017
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
ellis9 wrote:I disagree. As long as the Six Nations title is won, why does it matter if we get the Grand Slam or not?!

Do you know anything about Rugby? :smt017
At the risk of correction from northerntiger, you can lead an equus to water but sometimes it is still an onager.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Are you being serious Ellis9!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

In a normal year for a different team you may be correct. It could certainly be regarded as a nice to have - if you wished to stretch a point. But on this occasion there are lots of factors that increase its importance rather than detract from it. I am certain you are aware of and have read about those factors. But just as you failed to acknowledge Farrrells abilities and failed to accept Tigers finishing second in the Prem was never going to happen, you will fail to acknowledge this is a huge game for England. It is your chosen topic for intransigence for this week.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote:
In a normal year for a different team you may be correct. It could certainly be regarded as a nice to have - if you wished to stretch a point. But on this occasion there are lots of factors that increase its importance rather than detract from it. I am certain you are aware of and have read about those factors. But just as you failed to acknowledge Farrrells abilities and failed to accept Tigers finishing second in the Prem was never going to happen, you will fail to acknowledge this is a huge game for England. It is your chosen topic for intransigence for this week.
I say again, some people like to shock and provoke with their comments.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too