Gold Member
Gold Member

Racing 92 & Stade Francais to merge

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Wow this is big news...merging from next season

From L'equipe:

Top 14: a merger between Racing 92 and Stade Français from next season
Published on Monday 13 March 2017 at 11:10
Racing 92 and Stade Franchise, the two clubs of the Top 14, will only form one from next season. Presidents Jacky Lorenzetti and Thomas Savare are due to announce this Monday afternoon.

It is a bomb that is about to launch Jacky Lorenzetti and Thomas Savare on Monday afternoon on the Top 14. The presidents of Racing 92 and Stade Français will announce the merger of their two professional teams: soon Next season, with the agreement of the National Rugby League (NRL), the two clubs will form a single high-level entity. This is a historical fact for the first two and last two clubs champions of France.
Become a global reference
The will of the two businessmen is at first pragmatic. This is not the survival of two clubs, as in the various cases of mergers aborted in the Basque Country , but of the agreement of two mastodons. Lorenzetti and Savare intend today to create a world reference of rugby in the middle of the most important pool of players and licensees. Their desire, eventually, is to have a team almost 100% selectable, reinforced by some international stars. The two presidents wished to quickly communicate on the subject in order to allow a transition as harmonious as possible for all sportsmen.

They also wished to inform their administrative teams in order to reassure them and that they did not learn by means of the press this highly unlikely rapprochement a few months ago. This marriage will have no impact, at least initially, on the amateur sectors. From rugby schools to the Hopes teams, all the licensees will remain under the flag of the sky and white or stadiste, the objective nevertheless to create a common hope pole within two years on installations, called to grow, du Plessis-Robinson Of-the-Seine). On the amateur sectors. From rugby schools to the Hopes teams, all the licensees will remain under the flag of the sky and white or stadiste, the objective nevertheless to create a common hope pole within two years on installations, called to grow, du Plessis-Robinson Of-the-Seine). On the amateur sectors. From rugby schools to the Hopes teams, all the licensees will remain under the flag of the sky and white or stadiste, the objective nevertheless to create a common hope pole within two years on installations, called to grow, du Plessis-Robinson Of-the-Seine).
A seat to be filled in Top 14
From a practical point of view, this merger will leave an empty seat in Top 14 at the end of the current fiscal year. The NRL is already considering the most loyal format to define the identity of the club that will play in the first division next season: a straightforward draft of the penultimate , or the holding of a match Of barrage between this same 13th and the loser of the final accession of Pro D2.

Finally, there is the Stade Jean-Bouin, built by the Paris City Hall to house the Stade Français. The Saint-Cloud Gate will not be completely deserted for the Arena 92. The Red Star, in Football League 2, has made it its home, but the new formation of "
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Racing 92 & Stade Francais to merge

Post by strawclearer »

Wow...too early for April Fool's Day* (do they have that en France?). Surplus players?

*Update: To answer my own question - A "poisson d'avril" is a joke made on April 1st. In France, children try to stick a fish picture on their friends' back. When the joke is discovered, they shout "poisson d'avril !"

What will they call this Club? Where will they play? Will this start a trend? TigerPests? TigerStains? Ewwwwwwwwww.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Cannot quite get my head around this! :smt017
On the assumption that it is true - no reason to believe that JackFlashJonny has been deceived (April Fools Day is not here yet!) - then it is quite amazing. The key question will be as to what the real motives are behind the move?

This is where I would welcome the early advice and comments of Ze Stade Fan - assuming that he is not reaching for the razor blades.

My guess is that there must be some financial undercurrent - otherwise why would you merge two close rivals. It has always been that having two local rival clubs (in any sport) serves to generate lots of local interest in the sport and gets the fans animated. Otherwise the "business-model thinking" of a "Super Club" - like Paris St Germain in football - must be in play, which I do not believe is either healthy or realistic.

What will be REALLY interesting is what happens to the players. The salary cap (for what it is worth) in France will remain the same. The merged club won't get double the cap allowance! Therefore there MUST be lots of players being made redundant/ released. Might this be an opportunity for Tigers to look to fill the gaps in their squad? If so, then any suggestions for recruits from fellow forum members?

It will all be fascinating to watch, but I fear that it is a sad day for French Rugby Union and rugby in Paris in particular :smt009
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope we've saved some money for the impending fire sale!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well I guess this will certainly give Mr Boudjellal a serious challenge for his money.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I must admit upon reading I did double check the date :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Someone's got to mention Sergio Parisse - so I will!

At 33...a 2 year contract? :smt016

Hugo Bonneval at 15?

Commentators suggesting it's more like Racing92 taking over SF...
Last edited by strawclearer on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wish straw! He will be first choice number 8 with Masoe coveting. Willem Alberts anyone?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would take Ross.

Also Danty
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Amazing.

Look forward to Ze Stade's view on this and our other occasional French contributors.

Sounds as the Stade are absorbing Racing as much as anything. Racing itself having absorbed another team I forgot in 2001.

Should create a formidable team - looking forward to kicking their backsides on a regular basis.

:smt003 :smt002 :smt030
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Blimey. I mean, blimey. Can't get my head round that. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm sure both clubs believe this is the best for them both but I don't like it.

This is like Leicester Tigers merging with Northampton Saints. Yes, what a horrible thought!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Yeuch! This could be ugly! How will they merge things and keep both sets of fans happy and loyal? Just choosing a name and playing colours is going to cause hurt and upset.

It would be interesting to know what the drivers for this were, as neither club was obviously in difficulty were they?

Oh well. I guess we just need to make sure we are in the queue for any discarded players that may interest us.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote:I'm sure both clubs believe this is the best for them both but I don't like it.

This is like Leicester Tigers merging with Northampton Saints. Yes, what a horrible thought!
No it is not like that at all.
If you look at the history of Racing 92 there has been much change.
The Parisian public want a consistent European force in club rugby and they are not afraid of change.
Stade are capable of pulling in 80,000 for matches if they are competitive enough but remaining competitive enough has been a problem whilst the playing pool is not utilised properly in a professional way.
Believe it or not the French have not been that professional in player development to date, if they start doing it right then blimey they will get proper good!
It is possible an amateur or even semi-pro offshoot of one club will remain.
This could create an absolute monster of a professional club and foundation for the French national team.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

That's why I said the clubs obviously have a valid reason for doing it but as a fan, I cannot see either teams fans being happy about it. Why would you want your club to join a rival and become one club and become a fellow supporter of the same club when they used to be a rival fan.

Also, this either becomes 1 new club meaning the history of both is tarnished or they play under the bane of one of the current names e.g. They will be called Stade Francais

Just thinking about it makes me cringe!