Lichfield

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lichfield

Post by Qbec »

Could we find the association between Leicester Tigers & Lichfield RUFC end up with Lichfield Ladies playing in the Colours of the Tigers in the not too distant future.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Lichfield

Post by jgriffin »

If Tigers had put their weight behind Lichfield Ladies Premiership bid, then yes. Since they didn't, and Lichfield Ladies got :censored: on by the RFU despite being the equal top team in the country, then NO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

News on the Tigers website...

Leicester Tigers are taking the final home match of the Aviva 'A' League season on the road to Lichfield Rugby Club in Staffordshire and are planning to make this a big family day for rugby fans of all ages. The Tigers Development XV will face Worcester Cavaliers at Lichfield's Cooke Fields home on Sunday, April 9. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Lichfield is looking to strengthen the relationship with Tigers, so who knows what may be planned for both the men's and women's game.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Brianf wrote:News on the Tigers website...

Leicester Tigers are taking the final home match of the Aviva 'A' League season on the road to Lichfield Rugby Club in Staffordshire and are planning to make this a big family day for rugby fans of all ages. The Tigers Development XV will face Worcester Cavaliers at Lichfield's Cooke Fields home on Sunday, April 9. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Lichfield is looking to strengthen the relationship with Tigers, so who knows what may be planned for both the men's and women's game.
Lichfield mens team seemed to drop off the face of the earth when the game went pro, they were always one of the strongest sides in the Midlands at junior level, but have done little in the last decade.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

I think that boat has sailed for now, clearly Quins had an idea of what was going on and grabbed Aylesford at the start of this season and that's when we should have acted.

I hope the RFU take a second look at this and Tigers can support Lichfield but I fear it's a done deal.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

HantsTiger wrote:I think that boat has sailed for now, clearly Quins had an idea of what was going on and grabbed Aylesford at the start of this season and that's when we should have acted.

I hope the RFU take a second look at this and Tigers can support Lichfield but I fear it's a done deal.
Too late to do anything now, another example of how the arghfu work, Carlings "old farts" are related to the dinosaurs, where's a meteor when you need one.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't want this to come across wrong but if Tigers want to build a relationship with a women's team, could they not find one that is actually in Leicester instead of an hour away?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Loughborough have been admitted to the league. I suspect Tigers didn't want to endorse one if it could lead to the detriment of the other.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Maybe the club considered it was worth letting the womens' game discover its own identity rather than just re-branding sides as well known AP clubs.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yep, the Lichfield Ladies is largely a separate issue BUT IMO an opportunity missed. And yes, the RFU panel seems to have issues with Lichfield unrelated to their worth to the national rugby side. Typical RFU - see foot, shoot it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jgriffin wrote:Yep, the Lichfield Ladies is largely a separate issue BUT IMO an opportunity missed. And yes, the RFU panel seems to have issues with Lichfield unrelated to their worth to the national rugby side. Typical RFU - see foot, shoot it.
The cynic might say it was a ploy to "release talent" from a top side (that may be in a less than marketable area than other potential franchises, i.e. not in London) to fill in the lack of it at some of the others.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

jgriffin wrote:Typical RFU - see foot, shoot it.
And as a further example of the RFUs inability to move with the times...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... -deadline/

http://totalflanker.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... -past.html

as the final line of the blog says...'It appears that the 57 old farts are alive and well.' Irrespective of your view on the composition of Boards, the potential to lose out on government funding is reckless, to say the least.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

If interested, Lichfield Ladies has started a petition requesting the RFU to review its selection process...

https://www.change.org/p/rfu-rfu-to-rev ... m=copylink
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Brianf wrote:If interested, Lichfield Ladies has started a petition requesting the RFU to review its selection process...

https://www.change.org/p/rfu-rfu-to-rev ... m=copylink
Do you mean you have not signed it yet, this was posted under the "Women's Super League" thread but has only received about 650 protesters according to my email.

Why has the Women's Super League only got ten teams when the Aviva Premiership has twelve teams.Surely Lichfield & Thurrock could be added to equalise the divisional structures or are the old farts being sexist again?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Nothing to do with The Ladies, but I am reliably informed that Paula Odogwu, turned up to play for Lichfield against Derby, in a Nat 3 midlands fixture yesterday