Greetings and DoR suggestion

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

carsticker

Greetings and DoR suggestion

Post by carsticker »

Firstly a quick "hello" !

I have been a very long time reader of the forum and feel almost as though I have known a fair few of you from the posts you have made over the years so a special hello to all of you.

So to even things out a little I thought I would say about me - I am from Leicester and was a season ticket holder for over 20 years from the 1980s onwards however living near Bournemouth and with growing children that became too much of a commitment and we now attend for the occasional game. I do however follow the team via BT sport where there are regular guests!

I have been moved to join as I wonder how others feel about a suggestion I have for the replacement for Richard?

I sent the following to the TIgers some time ago however have not received a response nor do I see this man's name mentioned so think it might not be getting too much traction!
Am sure you will be getting many suggestions for the name of the right new DoR and it is critical for the success of the Tigers going forward.

Having been a fan for over 40 years and season ticket holder for 20 of those I feel the pain of the current situation alongside all of you there.

My suggestion for new DoR is Dean Ryan.

Why him?

I think it is clear that Richard was out of his depth at the start and needed a guiding hand - someone who had experience of the issues that a DoR has to cope with.

It was possible to have arranged this for Richard in the first few years of his tenure however it did not happen and he muddled through pulling the team through sheer will power at times (and loud voice!).

During this time we have seen an inexorable decline in the playing standards and quality of player within the Tigers team, which alongside the high churn has been a down hill slide for some three or so years now.

We must stop that now.

Dean Ryan has experience of being a DoR for a number of years within the Aviva Premiership as DoR at two separate clubs and will therefore know the machinery of the role and dealing with the board, always an important element for the individual and one that new DoRs can take a long time to master.

Particularly important is his time at Glos where he developed a successful team who although beaten (by us) in the final finished top of the league and played some exciting and winning rugby.

He would be a breath of fresh air, ,something desperately needed, but is a real rugby union man, having been a thorn in our flesh as a player, he knows what is required and would not be shy about achieving it all whilst being a very presentable presence for the media something that becomes more important as time goes by.

Now is the time to grasp the nettle and to select a success and charismatic new leader who must be given the tools to do the job and with the team he identifies.

Finally I think that in the long term Geordan is the answer and I think working to Dean Ryan as part of the plan, would leave him able to take over the reins in say three years?

I send this with optimism that you will make the right decision, probably the most important decision for a decade.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Greetings and DoR suggestion

Post by mightymouse »

And has international experience in his brief spell with Scotland who although were fairly dire at the time he did make an immediate impact on the steel of their forwards.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'd suggest he's quite happy in the Wasps/Newcastle clique at the RFU. Also, he may be a good DoR, but he's hardly achieved the success we may be looking for. He could do a job on the forwards perhaps, but I think his time as a DoR has probably been and gone, unless he fancies the England job when EJ disappears.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dean Ryan?

No thanks!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

As a DOR he makes a really good tv summariser
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Deano
I'm not cynical just experienced
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I've always quite liked Dean Ryan, and I think he has some useful experience, but I think he remains largely unproven? Not sure he would be a good fit with Tigers, and it feels like it would be a risky appointment. I think I'd like to see someone much more familiar and associated with success.

So that's a no to both MOC and Dean Ryan from me I'm afraid.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

carsticker wrote:Firstly a quick "hello" !

I have been a very long time reader of the forum and feel almost as though I have known a fair few of you from the posts you have made over the years so a special hello to all of you.

So to even things out a little I thought I would say about me - I am from Leicester and was a season ticket holder for over 20 years from the 1980s onwards however living near Bournemouth and with growing children that became too much of a commitment and we now attend for the occasional game. I do however follow the team via BT sport where there are regular guests!

I have been moved to join as I wonder how others feel about a suggestion I have for the replacement for Richard?

I sent the following to the TIgers some time ago however have not received a response nor do I see this man's name mentioned so think it might not be getting too much traction!
Am sure you will be getting many suggestions for the name of the right new DoR and it is critical for the success of the Tigers going forward.

Having been a fan for over 40 years and season ticket holder for 20 of those I feel the pain of the current situation alongside all of you there.

My suggestion for new DoR is Dean Ryan.

Why him?

I think it is clear that Richard was out of his depth at the start and needed a guiding hand - someone who had experience of the issues that a DoR has to cope with.

It was possible to have arranged this for Richard in the first few years of his tenure however it did not happen and he muddled through pulling the team through sheer will power at times (and loud voice!).

During this time we have seen an inexorable decline in the playing standards and quality of player within the Tigers team, which alongside the high churn has been a down hill slide for some three or so years now.

We must stop that now.

Dean Ryan has experience of being a DoR for a number of years within the Aviva Premiership as DoR at two separate clubs and will therefore know the machinery of the role and dealing with the board, always an important element for the individual and one that new DoRs can take a long time to master.

Particularly important is his time at Glos where he developed a successful team who although beaten (by us) in the final finished top of the league and played some exciting and winning rugby.

He would be a breath of fresh air, ,something desperately needed, but is a real rugby union man, having been a thorn in our flesh as a player, he knows what is required and would not be shy about achieving it all whilst being a very presentable presence for the media something that becomes more important as time goes by.

Now is the time to grasp the nettle and to select a success and charismatic new leader who must be given the tools to do the job and with the team he identifies.

Finally I think that in the long term Geordan is the answer and I think working to Dean Ryan as part of the plan, would leave him able to take over the reins in say three years?

I send this with optimism that you will make the right decision, probably the most important decision for a decade.
I bet they love this sort of expert help :smt030 :smt030 Words fail me....
Less is more....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Car sticker, disregard Bunchy, he's always a bit crabby!

Instead . . . . Welcome! :smt006
Valhalla I am coming!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Welcome back Carsticker and here's hoping you can get to many more Tigers Fixtures next season, and here's a suggestion, why npt bring the wife and kids with you for a fun family day out. Your choice of Dean Ryan is an interesting one that needs some cogitation.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Welcome.
Approaching the club may amount to the square root of zero, however, it still constitutes the kind of direct action that some of the posters would do well to emulate, as opposed to spleen venting and trolling!
Good on yer
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
carsticker

Post by carsticker »

So in summary not an overwhelming favourite with a small but vocal section :smt005

For the comments thank you especially those with an empathetic word and for those without...meh.

I put it out there as we are very likely to be underwhelmed with whomever is actually announced IMO.

The role is demanding and generally seems to drain the life out of the incumbent rather like watching a prime minister age in front of your eyes!

The names being bandied about seem to be rather uninspiring and unlikely to be a roaring success unless a rabbit is pulled from the hat.

From afar this board of directors have seemed to resemble the captain and crew of the Titanic and we seem happily heading for deeper colder waters.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I like your analogy about the Titanic, but Tigers have something that the Titanic didn't have, i.e. knowledgeable fans that would never let the boat sink and if it looked like doing so, the board would be ousted and replaced and coaches sacked a la Cockerill et al. We wouldn't put up with locked gates and class separation.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

carsticker wrote:So in summary not an overwhelming favourite with a small but vocal section :smt005

For the comments thank you especially those with an empathetic word and for those without...meh.

I put it out there as we are very likely to be underwhelmed with whomever is actually announced IMO.

The role is demanding and generally seems to drain the life out of the incumbent rather like watching a prime minister age in front of your eyes!

The names being bandied about seem to be rather uninspiring and unlikely to be a roaring success unless a rabbit is pulled from the hat.

From afar this board of directors have seemed to resemble the captain and crew of the Titanic and we seem happily heading for deeper colder waters.
There's 2 names I would be very happy with- Rob Baxter or Richard Cockerill. Neither will happen though unfortunately!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

As Johno doesn't want it then Dean Richards
I'm not cynical just experienced