Freddie Burns unhappy with his Leicester Tigers departure.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Freddie Burns unhappy with his Leicester Tigers departure.

Post by wormus »

Freddie states his case on the move to Bath despite having one year still on his contract. Like many on the forum Freddie is a great Tiger and came here under a cloud from Glous. I hope Freddie and supporters will remember how Freddie grew and blossomed at Tigers and give him a great send off and a great reception when he returns with Bath. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39209244
Once a Tiger always a Tiger! Thanks Freddie.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Burns unhappy with his Leicester Tigers departur

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote:Freddie states his case on the move to Bath despite having one year still on his contract. Like many on the forum Freddie is a great Tiger and came here under a cloud from Glous. I hope Freddie and supporters will remember how Freddie grew and blossomed at Tigers and give him a great send off and a great reception when he returns with Bath. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39209244
:smt023 +1...actually +5 if you include Mrs Strawclearer and the young bales!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote:
wormus wrote:Freddie states his case on the move to Bath despite having one year still on his contract. Like many on the forum Freddie is a great Tiger and came here under a cloud from Glous. I hope Freddie and supporters will remember how Freddie grew and blossomed at Tigers and give him a great send off and a great reception when he returns with Bath. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39209244
:smt023 +1...actually +5 if you include Mrs Strawclearer and the young bales!
+2 from here, and we had hoped he was a keeper given his growth here and his approacheable and generous personality.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We don't do bad getting the best out of players, some even want to come back again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think it is perhaps overdoing things to imply we made a big difference to his game - he was already an England international before he arrived.

He has been unlucky with injuries but you wonder if the luck had been with him he might still be the England fly half.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I will miss him. Yeh, a few daft moments along the way but, otherwise, he's been a pleasure to watch.
I will miss him and wish him well back on home soil.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

tigercaspian wrote:I will miss him. Yeh, a few daft moments along the way but, otherwise, he's been a pleasure to watch.
I will miss him and wish him well back on home soil.
Pretty much sums it up.
Freddie just seemed to 'click' with the fans, far more than most players. How many players have walked off the pitch, having their name chanted?
I think we'll miss him for far more than his not inconsiderable playing ability.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes well Freddie is but one of an ever groing list of players that have left under a cloud. To be honest I've lost confidence with Tigers executive, time to for some to step aside I'd say.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

There is a real danger making opinions based on a one sided story - believe me this is not the whole truth..........
Less is more....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Bunchy wrote:There is a real danger making opinions based on a one sided story - believe me this is not the whole truth..........
Ok...and..? Yes? Yes???
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Bunch appears to be a Trumpist "fake news" merchant - unless, of course, he can provide evidence?

Many players pass through the gates at WR, but not many leave as true Tigers. Freddie is one who will. His treatment has not been good, although anyone who pays for their own kicking coach displays a willingness and a commitment not often demonstrated.

I think replacing him with a 10 who is frail under pressure is a great mistake.

Thanks for all you have done Freddie. I can't bring myself to support Bath (!), but I wish you all the best, and yes, I will give you a cheer when you return with your new club to WR.

Heart of a Tiger, brave as a Lion.
Valhalla I am coming!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

+another one. I like others will miss him and welcome him back, though I hope he will be on the losing side!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't see why he should be displeased as he's getting quite a big salary rise and won't have to compete as hard to retain his place at Bath as he did against Owen Williams at the Tigers, unless of course Bath have suddenly acquired another star fly half from somewhere. I still maintain he has a bit to go if he wants to achieve star status, At the moment I rate him about the 9th choice as an England starting fly half.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

"The direction the club wanted to go in was told to me and then I made the best decision to go home and represent my childhood club," he added.

So the club tell him we are signing George Ford, so there are 2 quality flyhalfs... And he doesn't want to compete with him as 1st choice , Not really a tiger in true tigers spirit.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

dunks43 wrote:"The direction the club wanted to go in was told to me and then I made the best decision to go home and represent my childhood club," he added.

So the club tell him we are signing George Ford, so there are 2 quality flyhalfs... And he doesn't want to compete with him as 1st choice , Not really a tiger in true tigers spirit.
Or they told him GF was coming so he was surplus to requirements as he's too expensive for a 2nd choice so he'd be dropped/traded ASAP.

Or he'll be moved onto a lower base salary and a higher pay per play if he wanted to stay beyond his current contract.

Or that him going to Bath was the only way we'd get GF so put a lot of pressure on him to move.

The reality is we're unlikely to ever find out the whole truth - we might get closer once autobiographies start coming out but they're still quite one sided