Is Matt O'Connor coming back?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Matt O'Connor coming back?

Post by ellis9 »

I think that was a coincidence. If Tigers want to bring him back as a Head Coach working under a DOR, then that's fine but don't give him the DOR job.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote:
jgriffin wrote:My rugby criticism was that our playbook was one-dimensional and inflexible (my posts must be archived somewhere!). He was not the only architect of our success BTW, indeed I credit the players we had at the time as being the main factor, not to mention other coaches and the DOR.
Undoubtedly. Far more to it than just O'Connor.

But Cockers rated him highly for a reason. Leinster approached him for a reason. He's good - and his departure coincided with the end of our era of dominance.
Looking back to the season 2012-13 posts there was a considerable debate already brewing, and one notable moment was on (I think) the second week in Feb when the infamous and possibly mythical Smurf team talk took place, from that point the team performed brilliantly. We did have a younger Mulipola and my personal alltime fave Steeeeeve Mafi playing, and it was James Grindal's finest half-season - everyone started playing out of their socks after an abject defeat to Chiefs (-6C at Sandy Park AFAIR).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

One has to ask the question, if so why?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Good question?!

I have no idea!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I'm afraid I would not be keen on an MOC return. I just hope we could do better than that. Surely we can do better than that?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I find it hard to find O'Connors merits over AM. Backs coaches both and neither DoR material. It makes no sense to lose AM and bring in O'Connor and a DoR so the BoD must be thinking O'CONNOR is a DoR. They are wrong to do so IMHO.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

What role do we think MoC will be offered?

He is a proven head coach, although far from a world beater. I don't see him working with Mauger - which would be a shame as I think the backs have made a fair improvement recently - been let down by the forwards against Exeter imo.

The club must have some idea which direction they are heading in if they are making a lot of re-signings and a few new signings.

I'd like to get this wrapped up as soon as possible so that we can concentrate on what is happening on the park - I'm sure Mauger thinks the same too.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Scott1 wrote:Id rather have Jake White any day of the week!
Really? :smt018
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Loob19"]What role do we think MoC will be offered?

He is a proven head coach, although far from a world beater. I don't see him working with Mauger - which would be a shame as I think the backs have made a fair improvement recently - been let down by the forwards against Exeter imo.

The club must have some idea which direction they are heading in if they are making a lot of re-signings and a few new signings.

I'd like to get this wrapped up as soon as possible so that we can concentrate on what is happening on the park - I'm sure Mauger thinks the same too.[/quote]

Granted, it might (or might not!) help with player recruitment once a DOR is appointed. However, this needs to be the right appointment however long it takes, and whether it happens soon makes no little odds on the field this season imo.
May as well go all out for the AW Cup thingy, and then try to secure a top 6 finish. Anything else would be a bonus this year.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Agreed Murphyslaw
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Whoever we appoint will have my full backing. It disturbs me that there seem to be many who are suggesting that they wouldn't necessarily back the club's appointment.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'll support whoever coaches I just hope MOC has learnt from his mistakes.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Tigercam,at least he would whip our powderpuff forwards into shape!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Reading between the lines, I think a deal must be pretty close for The Mercury to run such a significant article about O'Connor.

His time at Leinster as DOR started out well but he became quite unpopular quite quickly from what I recall and was bombed out in less than 2 years.

Happy to have him back as backs coach, not sure he really has the credentials to be a DOR.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

POSTIGER wrote:Reading between the lines, I think a deal must be pretty close for The Mercury to run such a significant article about O'Connor.

His time at Leinster as DOR started out well but he became quite unpopular quite quickly from what I recall and was bombed out in less than 2 years.

Happy to have him back as backs coach, not sure he really has the credentials to be a DOR.
I saw a number of quotes from Leinster fans at the time saying that Leinster had become Leicester and were boring. :smt015
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives