Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Scott1 »

He's at London Irish Rykard but definitely one I would've kept
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

wonder if he's happy, if Tait is off and we need a backup 15/10/nn then it may be worth a chat to see what he's up to?
cheers
Rich
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rykard wrote:wonder if he's happy, if Tait is off and we need a backup 15/10/nn then it may be worth a chat to see what he's up to?
I suspect it depends on whether LI get promoted or not.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Lammy wrote:Called this weeks ago. viewtopic.php?p=661622#p661622

Obviously we should wait to see what the final squad for 2017/18 looks like but if the Ford brothers' recruitment is the sum of our recruitment at 10 then this is ridiculous. Is Joe Ford going to frighten anyone else in the league? Is he going to push George for a starting berth? Definitely not.
I keep hearing that we are "looking at 10s in the southern hemisphere" from people who usually are clued up, so I like to think we've finally got a third choice 10, allowing Toomua and Worth to focus on their normal positions.

Whilst I'm unexcited by Ford, and he is 26, this parish once had the reputation of getting the best out of players, so you never know...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TTRITH wrote:
Whilst I'm unexcited by Ford, and he is 26, this parish once had the reputation of getting the best out of players, so you never know...
And it's about building a solid squad. Only with those foundations can a team thrive. Unspectacular, but proven in a series of middling teams is probably one of those players.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The rugby paper saying both Jonah Holmes and Joe Ford are done deals.

Holmes excellent signing has huge potential IMO.
Ford squad signing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Geoff Parling and Joe Ford rumours being added to OP now after some convos today.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote:Geoff Parling and Joe Ford rumours being added to OP now after some convos today.
Geoff Parling? Really?? So he'll fit in...where, exactly? Dom Barrow, Mick Fitzgerald, Graham Kitchener, Ed Slater, Harry Wells...Parling?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

strawclearer wrote:
RagingBull wrote:Geoff Parling and Joe Ford rumours being added to OP now after some convos today.
Geoff Parling? Really?? So he'll fit in...where, exactly? Dom Barrow, Mick Fitzgerald, Graham Kitchener, Ed Slater, Harry Wells...Parling?
Not sure but on Fridays showing would have him ahead of all of them bar maybe Barrow maybe Fitzgerald being moved more to 6?

His maul work and scrum work for that matter has been missed and I reckon he could be a better lineout coach than Blaze.

Actually surprised how much we have missed him and his meh as situation seems fine and no England rugby worry.

As said I'm not posting rumours on the op now till have have heard it from 3 separate sources who I trust.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
Not sure but on Fridays showing would have him ahead of all of them bar maybe Barrow maybe Fitzgerald being moved more to 6?

His maul work and scrum work for that matter has been missed and I reckon he could be a better lineout coach than Blaze.

Actually surprised how much we have missed him and his meh as situation seems fine and no England rugby worry.

As said I'm not posting rumours on the op now till have have heard it from 3 separate sources who I trust.
I agree about his abilities and think Chiefs success this season and last owes much to him. Despite his age and injury record, he'll be in demand - Sarries, Melbourne, Sale and now...Tigers?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Parling would be an odd one but he'd add in areas that we need improvement - most importantly line-out defence.

Barrow, Kitchener and Fitzgerald all re-signed this season. Slater re-signed last season whilst still skipper so you'd presume that it was a 2-3 year deal. I certainly hope that Ed will be here next season and haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Wells deserves a contract extension as well.

Could Slater perhaps be lined up for game time at 8 again? If the club are struggling to recruit a second 8 alongside Kalamafoni it might be preferred to shelling out cash on the wrong player. I wouldn't like it because he's an excellent scrummaging lock and a lot of that is lost if he's out the boiler room.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote:Parling would be an odd one but he'd add in areas that we need improvement - most importantly line-out defence.
If Barrow is seen as a good bet for (line-out)captain long term...no better example for him to learn from.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

If Parling is counting his days as a player following the concussions then a chance to start moving into coaching may well be on his mind.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote:If Parling is counting his days as a player following the concussions then a chance to start moving into coaching may well be on his mind.
Indeed. I suspect he will be a far cheaper option now he is a couple of years older and no longer an international; his wage demands, allied to his concussion issues would have been a stopper back then. We lack an "old head" at lock.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ABClub wrote:Could Slater perhaps be lined up for game time at 8 again? If the club are struggling to recruit a second 8 alongside Kalamafoni it might be preferred to shelling out cash on the wrong player. I wouldn't like it because he's an excellent scrummaging lock and a lot of that is lost if he's out the boiler room.
You couldn't be more wrong, Dean Richards, Martin Corry and Dayglo were all monster pushers from the 8 position, my kid brother played in the 2nd row with Deano at 8, he said it was like having a tractor behind you, never went backwards.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.