Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Loob19

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Loob19 »

LE18 wrote:Sorry Loob but the heirachy at Tigers told me Joe Ford signed for us a while ago.
Oh well, hopes dashed. Really underwhelmed by this.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

Did anyone else hear on RL at half time when I'm sure it was Ian C that said that he'd heard around the ground that Halfpenny was being rumoured to sign for us as main goal kicker?
May have misheard but was sure that's what was said.
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

Slightly off topic but what happened to George Catchpole. Played early AW cup and not heard of since.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MrG wrote:Slightly off topic but what happened to George Catchpole. Played early AW cup and not heard of since.
Had a major injury V Bath in the first AWC game then another injury V Saracens in the final AWC game.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

clarkey80 wrote:Did anyone else hear on RL at half time when I'm sure it was Ian C that said that he'd heard around the ground that Halfpenny was being rumoured to sign for us as main goal kicker?
Well, there may be more money available to bring in a high profile player, now that Ayerza has retired. From the timing of the announcement I think we can safely say Marcos was expecting to be playing next year and this would have had an effect on any recruitment plans.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

clarkey80 wrote:Did anyone else hear on RL at half time when I'm sure it was Ian C that said that he'd heard around the ground that Halfpenny was being rumoured to sign for us as main goal kicker?
This would be awful news...great goal kicker but lacking as an attacking fullback..without his kicking isn't even international class 15 for me

Thankfully it can't be true as we would never pay the money he would want :smt023
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Halfpenny would be a great signing but I just can't see it, great kicker, maybe not the most inspired attacking threat but his boot makes up for that, the question is the cost and I don't think tigers would be able to foot the bill.
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

RagingBull wrote:
MrG wrote:Slightly off topic but what happened to George Catchpole. Played early AW cup and not heard of since.
Had a major injury V Bath in the first AWC game then another injury V Saracens in the final AWC game.

Thanks RB
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Valentino Mapapalangi spotted in Tigers training gear on Mermoz's instagram
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm a little surprised Valentino Mapapalangi is already here on a trial, unless he is being played this weekend there is no way he is actually going to get any game time to prove himself and I've never been a fan of training trials
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

kpj tiger wrote:I'm a little surprised Valentino Mapapalangi is already here on a trial, unless he is being played this weekend there is no way he is actually going to get any game time to prove himself and I've never been a fan of training trials
Surely (for a player of limited reputation) its better than simply signing him from the other side world. If we are interested, we might as well get to know him and see how he integrates.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kpj tiger wrote:I'm a little surprised Valentino Mapapalangi is already here on a trial, unless he is being played this weekend there is no way he is actually going to get any game time to prove himself and I've never been a fan of training trials
Surprised? Why? It makes perfect sense for him to be on trial now. Train with the squad now until the end of the season, if we like what we see then he can be invited back in time for preseason. Wait until preseason and if it doesn't work out you've both wasted time.

With the availability of video nowadays I'm sure plenty of him was seen from the club before he arrived, not to mention any first hand experience MOC had with him.
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

For those that haven't seen Valentino Mapapalangi, here is his YouTube highlights vid. I suggest taking this as a very loose guide, as if you watch the Opeti Fonua highlight vid then you would take him over Reid or Picamoles anyday!!!

I like the look of the soft hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxiNStMUSwg
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BIttySmalls wrote:For those that haven't seen Valentino Mapapalangi, here is his YouTube highlights vid. I suggest taking this as a very loose guide, as if you watch the Opeti Fonua highlight vid then you would take him over Reid or Picamoles anyday!!!

I like the look of the soft hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxiNStMUSwg

Very good point about Highlights videos.

Although I will say this does show a lot more all round stuff than just 6/7 big runs over and over again.

Suspect he is being viewed as a project like Mafi, interesting that he played 8 at school, moved to lock for provincial rugby and then was moved back to 8, hopefully (and it looks like it) he has the workhorse mentality of a lock to go with his ball carrying.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just watched the whole of the vid and yes, he would certainly be a project No8 and will have to learn to get his tackles down a bit. A lot of shoulder high tackles which sometime slipped up from there particularly when faced with a face on challenge. Would be a good signing and I suspect not too expensive.
Hehehehehehehehe