Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

So i expect Force, Cheetahs and Kings players will be flooding the market after this season.

Some busy agents no doubt.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

RagingBull wrote:So i expect Force, Cheetahs and Kings players will be flooding the market after this season.

Anybody that might be of interest to us RB? I don't follow SH rugby myself.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote:So i expect Force, Cheetahs and Kings players will be flooding the market after this season.

Apparently the majority of the players from the AUS franchise that gets cut (Force or Rebels) will be redistributed throughout the remaining franchises
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Boom Prinsloo and Paul Schoeman would be good No.8 options, neither are springbok internationals so may be tempted to leave SA
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote:

Apparently the majority of the players from the AUS franchise that gets cut (Force or Rebels) will be redistributed throughout the remaining franchises
Where possible. Those out of contract may just opt to go. They'll look to merge two of the teams on the East coast I'd have thought. If they disband the Force the ARU are effectively giving up rugby in sports mad Western Australia.

As for players we'd want to pinch; Amanaki Mafi the Japanese 8 and three decent young flyhalf/fullbacks are at the Rebels (including Fijian Volavola and Mauger's cousin Garden-Bachop). Force have a Fijian number 8 Naisarani who's a bit of a unit but a bit raw. Don't think any of the Aussie natives would be heading away but those guys might not be retained in preference of those with Aussie cap potential. Dunno about the Bok boys.

With Bryant rumours to Worcester who are also chasing a big name 10, I wonder whether the contract talks with Ryan Mills are not going well. I'd be pleased if we acquired him given he's as comfortable at 10 as he is 12 and can kick for goal still only 24 but has plenty of AP game time. Shame Bryant has never been able to push into the first team here he's got a nice passing game.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I thought Sonny Bill was due to Welford road next year?...................................... :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Sorry to keep repeating this, but from conversation I had, our 10s for next year are, Ford, Ford and Toomua as backup, (then I suppose we have academy player or similar).
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote:Sorry to keep repeating this, but from conversation I had, our 10s for next year are, Ford, Ford and Toomua as backup, (then I suppose we have academy player or similar).
With the potential of Hardwick being promoted into the development squad to add further cover. The way some are talking about him he could be a regular on the bench at some point next season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
LE18 wrote:Sorry to keep repeating this, but from conversation I had, our 10s for next year are, Ford, Ford and Toomua as backup, (then I suppose we have academy player or similar).
With the potential of Hardwick being promoted into the development squad to add further cover. The way some are talking about him he could be a regular on the bench at some point next season.
I'd guess he will be the LV fly-half and but I'd be surprised if he was 1st XV bench next year
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

sam16111986 wrote:If they disband the Force the ARU are effectively giving up rugby in sports mad Western Australia.
I've friends who live in Bull Creek, Perth. Admittedly, they're rabid Freo Dockers supporters but they reckon the Western Force never really took off and rugby union is a very poor cousin in WA.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

With the retirement of the great Ayerza would this not free up some cash for a number 8?

I know Genge will demand a decent wedge but to stave off Marcos going to France surely we had to pay him big money?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

How is Mulipola coming on? Rizzo is 34 and is still a top Italian LH and Genge could be away with England a lot. With Bateman being able to cover LH at a push and Brugnara we are very light on the ground. We might have to purchase another LH.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kpj tiger wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
I'd guess he will be the LV fly-half and but I'd be surprised if he was 1st XV bench next year
The same could have been said about Worth this time last year. If indeed Ford J is going to be our 2nd 10, Hardwick may have every chance (if he develops as some think he might) of pushing for the bench slot at some point if he is given the chance next season. :smt001
Scott11 wrote:How is Mulipola coming on? Rizzo is 34 and is still a top Italian LH and Genge could be away with England a lot. With Bateman being able to cover LH at a push and Brugnara we are very light on the ground. We might have to purchase another LH.
Promotion from the academy perhaps or an inspired catch from the Championship XVs or Premiership benches? On paper our LH crop was very strong this year. Realistically I think it'll be Genge and Rizzo with a smattering of Mulipola and A N Other brought in as discussed above.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott11 wrote:How is Mulipola coming on? Rizzo is 34 and is still a top Italian LH and Genge could be away with England a lot. With Bateman being able to cover LH at a push and Brugnara we are very light on the ground. We might have to purchase another LH.
Owen Hills is a LH prop I think and he was very highly rated, pretty sure he was playing for Eng U20's at 17 or 18. Is Joe Hayes a LH or TH ?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Owen Hills struggled badly in the A Game against Wuss , Bryant fairly ordinary also .