A6 off A14

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

A6 off A14

Post by CJ »

can anyone help? I have googled it and can't find much. (Highways England - don't get me started!) Is the A6 off the A14 to Market Harborough still shut? It's my preferred route for tomorrow evening but if there is a big diversion I might have to consider another route.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: A6 off A14

Post by WhitecapTiger »

No local 'eyes on' I'm afraid but the AA website appears to show it's closed.

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/Market%20Harborough

Correct as of 2nd March, 6.20pm

As does 'via michelin':

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Traff ... 9USXhNRGs9

Harborough Mail had this saying it was closed until end of Feb, it'll be 3rd March tomorrow....close enough for Govt work :smt002

http://www.harboroughmail.co.uk/news/a6 ... -1-7788575

Hope that helps some? If it were me, I'd not chance it and would go another way - unless someone with local knowledge pops up with a more definitive answer.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Alternative route could be next junction along and up through Welford
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Mark62 wrote:Alternative route could be next junction along and up through Welford
The next junction along is actually the A508 at Kelmarsh which is 10 mins max straight through Market Harborough, then onto the A6 to Leicester.
Soggypitch
Saxon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Saxon »

Hi, purely by chance I tried to take this route 2 nights ago and can confirm it is definately closed.
TigerTiger....
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Thanks, everyone, really helpful. Can't be late for a crunch match!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I live local and can confirm that it is going to be shut until at least the end of APRIL. They have found "voids" under the road and are fearful of sinkholes opening up. If you are coming from Cambridge,, come of 1 junction early and just follow the road though Rothwell and Desborough. Don't turn off anywhere and it will bring you back onto the A6 at the other side of the roadworks and then it will be your normal route. If you decide to go through to Kelmarsh you will certainly have long hold ups going through Market Harborough between 4.45 and 5.30. There are back streets to get round it but you may get lost through Little Bowden and they are not that much quicker.
Hehehehehehehehe
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Yeah still closed. It's a pain in the backside.

A few other options as Rothwell and Desborough can get horrible as a result of the closure.

You can come off the A14 two junctions later at A508 and follow signs through Kelmarsh to Market Harborough and join the A6 from there - though this will take you through the town centre. All told, probably the quickest and shortest way.

You can come off at Kettering and follow the A43 to Corby and follow the A427 to Market Harborough and join the A6 there (avoids the town centres).

Or you can take the A14 to the end and take the M1 and come off at j21. This will be busy on a Friday though.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I waited over 20 mins to get from the leisure centre roundabout into the centre of MH 2 days ago at 5.15 and that is not unusual. IMHO the Rothwell Desborough route is by far the quickest as it takes about 10 mins to get through there even at peak times from the A14 and it is also the shortest route by a long way.
Hehehehehehehehe
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Iain wrote: Or you can take the A14 to the end and take the M1 and come off at j21. This will be busy on a Friday though.
I come this route most nights hitting the M1/A14 junction around 5.30 ish ...

Since the flyover was built , I have never queued at all , and J21 is always clear as well
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

trendylfj wrote:I waited over 20 mins to get from the leisure centre roundabout into the centre of MH 2 days ago at 5.15 and that is not unusual. IMHO the Rothwell Desborough route is by far the quickest as it takes about 10 mins to get through there even at peak times from the A14 and it is also the shortest route by a long way.
Tsk. You clearly haven't learned the network of back roads parallel to Northampton Road. Lathkil Street, Bath Street, right at Farndon Fields, straight over mini roundabout past the Spar, turn right onto Coventry Road, left at the mini roundabout and join the A6 after the town centre.

Never wait it out if the traffic is slow!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Iain wrote:
trendylfj wrote:I waited over 20 mins to get from the leisure centre roundabout into the centre of MH 2 days ago at 5.15 and that is not unusual. IMHO the Rothwell Desborough route is by far the quickest as it takes about 10 mins to get through there even at peak times from the A14 and it is also the shortest route by a long way.
Tsk. You clearly haven't learned the network of back roads parallel to Northampton Road. Lathkil Street, Bath Street, right at Farndon Fields, straight over mini roundabout past the Spar, turn right onto Coventry Road, left at the mini roundabout and join the A6 after the town centre.

Never wait it out if the traffic is slow!
TSK, TSK, TSK - 3 points Iain:
1. I do know that route having lived in MH for over 40 years and also the route through LB but if you don't know MH you would never know to go either way.
2. As I was picking my wife up at the market hall neither route was of any use.
3. We are trying to help CJ who apparently doesn't use the MH turn off preferring to use the Desborough by-pass not lose him in the back streets of MH
Hehehehehehehehe
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I bet you wish you hadn't bothered now CJ!!
Soggypitch
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

FYI, the A6 is a local road not a trunk road, and managed by Northamptonshire County Council not Highways England.

It is causing significant issues locally, and i think there was a press release a few days ago. As i understand it, a routine bridge inspection found a lot of issues which were fixed, but then spotted at bridges in the area, and they need to be addressed quickly - which is what the closures are now in place for.

More detail here;

http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/cou ... osure.aspx
#48 FTW :)