Exeter Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by iceman_19 »

Odd how Burns and Williams have swapped again, especially given how effective Freddie was last week. Can only assume that the knock that forced him off means he only has c.30 minutes in him?

Otherwise, great to see Crofty back. Clearly we'll be gunning for them in the lineout (in the knowledge that if they do win it and get a maul going, we're stuffed!).
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Some brave - or foolhardy - calls there!

Of course, it's good to have a strong bench - or set of 'finishers' as they now seem to be called - but I would have started with Genge, Mike Williams (although I can see the logic of including Crofts lineout expertise), Harrison and Burns. Possibly Betham too.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Perhaps Mauger thinks Williams fits into the game plan better. It's going to be a close game. Having Williams on the pitch allows us to go for 3 points from further out than if Burns was playing. Also, Williams is more likely to stick to the basics and won't try anything out of the ordinary which Burns does.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

strawclearer wrote:Some brave - or foolhardy - calls there!

Of course, it's good to have a strong bench - or set of 'finishers' as they now seem to be called - but I would have started with Genge, Mike Williams (although I can see the logic of including Crofts lineout expertise), Harrison and Burns. Possibly Betham too.
Genge and Williams have been training with England all week I believe, but are released back for the game, so it's probably a case that they haven't been privvy to all the tactical discussions surrounding the game (i.e. it's easier to bring them off the bench).

Burns I assume is carrying a knock from last week. Harrison would be my preference to start given the forecasted conditions...
Tigers till I die

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why do you assume Burns is carrying a knock?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Williams is the wise choice at 10 - he's good at controlling in difficult weather. Grind them down, then let Burns and Harrison attack the space off the bench late on.

It's a sensible team with an eye on the weather forecast.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ellis9 wrote:Why do you assume Burns is carrying a knock?
I must admit I've never got ,this he's carrying a knock so he's on the bench, what happens if Owen Williams, picks up a nasty injury 2 minutes in, do we send on Harrison coz Burns can only give us 30.

More likely that Owen Williams is much stronger defensively and did look good against a Bristol side that then beat Barf.

Same can probably be said of Dossers lad at 13, he never lets anyone down and does seem to have thrived under Mauger
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Agreed Iain.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

He went off limping last week after his try.
Tigers till I die

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

iceman_19 wrote:
He went off limping last week after his try.
I'd thought that was cramp but I've no 'inside knowledge' - haven't got a leg to stand on really!

Coat...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It was cramp. It's something he has suffered with throughout his career.

My point mainly was that it seemed that you assumed Burns isn't starting because he may be carrying a knock and not a tactical decision from Mauger that Williams is starting.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Monster bench! Looks like we going to compete at the lineout which is wise considering we've no chance of stopping their maul! If we are in touch late we should nick this with our bench but it's a tough game.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I like the look of the team for tomorrow night's match against the Chiefs. Tom Croft is worth his place just for his line out work alone and together with O'Connor and Hamilton make a speedy back line. I think the inclusion of Matt Smith is a good move too as he is an excellent tackler and together with Mermoz could nullify two tricky Exeter centres. My only query would be Mauger's preference for Kitto over Sam Harrison who is an excellent player and who would also be my first choice, perhaps Harrison has a slight injury thus just makes the substitutes bench, I can think of no other reason for his exclusion.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

ellis9 wrote:It was cramp. It's something he has suffered with throughout his career.

My point mainly was that it seemed that you assumed Burns isn't starting because he may be carrying a knock and not a tactical decision from Mauger that Williams is starting.
I thought it was more than cramp (he seemed to be holdding his ankle) but happy to be corrected. It may well be a tactical decision by Mauger in that case, but I am suprised given that I thought Freddie controlled the game very well last Friday and his kicking from hand has improved no-end.
Tigers till I die

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

its not hard Noddy... perhaps Kitto has been on fire in training? Perhaps they are simply rotating a la Sarries with De Kock and Wiggy?
Less is more....