Exeter Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by ellis9 »

Grimlish wrote:Anyone know what upset McGuigan and one or two others in the seconds before & after Chiefs scored their last try? He tried to bring it to the attention of the ref but got no joy and took some while to calm down.

Chiefs aren't doing anything spectacular, they just play really effectively. Well drilled, know their strengths and how to bring them to the fore. Like we used to, and actually like we still could.
No but you don't understand, doing what Exeter do and what we used to do is too boring for some. They need to see the ball being thrown around all of the time and players running at 100mph! Bring back how we used to play!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Coops wrote:
markharbtiger wrote:Who was it that said we might make second? :smt005
I've said for a while that it's us and that lot immediately to the south fighting for 5th.
2nd? We'll barely make 5th at this rate. Poor display, backs never got a sniff as forwards didn't control it.

Coaches simply arent upto scratch, why do we continue to give former players jobs as coaches without any experience? If we are serious about performing then we need experienced coaches in all areas of the game.
Had we won last night, you wouldn't be saying this. We would have been on 51 or 52 points with Exeter on 54 or 55 points in second.

After last nights results, second place has gone but before last night, second was achievable!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Exeter have a well drilled pack that is unaffected by injuries and international calls. They absorbed the pressure that Tigers put them under and then responded when the time was right. They won the breakdown and did not allow Tigers to get any quick quality ball.
Top four is still a possibility but a lot of hard work lies ahead.
Hoping for a Wasps v Exeter final uf Tigers are not in the mix, but still time to change that fixture.
Well played Exeter!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I admire your optimism ellis9, you're clearly a glass half full person.
Personally, I feel your optimism isn't very realistic. Still, stranger things have happened (e.g., with the round ball game team down the road)
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

We made a serious error not playing the correct starting line up. Kitto should never have started ahead of Harrison and Freddie is playing so well he has to start. Ellis Genge and Mike Williams should have been brought up to speed having been away earlier in the week and started. No good having impact subs when the game is all but over when they come on. Big mistake.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

It shows how far we've fallen when we're thumped by a pretty average Exeter performance. The Chiefs have a great set up and a really solid squad - but they didn't need to get out of 3rd gear last night. Fingers need to be pointed at Mauger. Loading the bench with quality worked against a Quins 2nd string, we needed a full strength 15 starting last night.

And I'm not usually one to dig individuals out after a game, but Owen Williams was shocking. Didn't look fit and/or interested. And on last nights viewing, it's more evident than ever that a lot of deadwood needs moving on...

Will be cheering on Coventry Vs Bath this afternoon
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I agree about Owen Williams - Gloucester are paying way over the odds for a very ordinary player.Thought we started well , but the Williams charge down was a hammerblow - no excuse , it was a good pass and he had plenty of time - just lazy. I had great hopes when Croft was selected that we really intended to compete at the lineout but no , Parling allowed to rise unchallenged time after time . Exeter do have an experienced and well drilled pack but even against 7 men our own pack was dismal . Surely we are close to the end of Tom Youngs as a player - poor discipline and poor lineout work - was he really 1st choice for England 2 years ago ? . Barrow to be made Club Captain now - the only player who shows leadership .
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Overpowered up front
Southern hemisphere club style back rows fast,mobile but ultimately too lightweight and innefective against better sides in the premiership.

The same goes at hooker. Tool long have we relied on Cole and Ayerza to allow us to play a lightweight at 2.
Return Bateman to hooker pronto.
We need a beefy lock like Launchbury and some real grunt in the back row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't think there is a lot of deadwood that needs moving on TBH, 5 players at most in my eyes.

I will say that the biggest plus is that We have a core of young EQP forwards Genge, McGuigan, Barrow, Mike Williams Evans, maybe Thacker that can/should be built around, Slot in Cole at 3 and we are only missing a lock (and Slater is a very good lock aswell) and a 8.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote:I don't think there is a lot of deadwood that needs moving on TBH, 5 players at most in my eyes.

I will say that the biggest plus is that We have a core of young EQP forwards Genge, McGuigan, Barrow, Mike Williams Evans, maybe Thacker that can/should be built around, Slot in Cole at 3 and we are only missing a lock (and Slater is a very good lock aswell) and a 8.
Would agree with this, the players are there we just lack direction
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I wasn't joking when I compared Exeter to the Tigers of old. We used to trounce sides with "pretty average performances". Consistency of selection, a core team available season upon season and the development of the next generation were key to the team of old. Two maybe three foreigners? Now we are on the league of nations merry-go-round. Hoping good luck will prevail and all the bits will just fall into the right place and, voila, a premiership winning side.
Rhubarb. Someone needs to get a grip and start considering the long term future of this club. Some might find the yearly ins and outs exiting. I find it :censored: frustrating. Too much change too often = chaos. Evolution not revolution and planned evolution not happenstance.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Quite disappointed tbh and thought Exeter didn't do a lot for their points but just outmuscled Leicester in the tackle and especially clever playbook at the breakdown with three or four Tigers on Leicester ball and not a white shirt in sight but such is the lightweight nature of individuals combined with slow service the breakdown is needed to be flooded to protect the ball.
The key to any ideas of a fast lightweight playing policy is fast ball, and the man for that was sat gaining splinters, pathetic selection!
Looked a bit like England's 1st half against Italy on occasions and half expected Exeter to stand on our side at times, but they didn't.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Maybe the last few games gave us some blinded optimism. We did play some average teams after all. I think this just sums up where we are currently, an above average premiership team. Fine against Bristol but against good teams the large chinks in the Armour are clear for all to see.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

We were bullied all over the pitch. Exeter had more power and played at a higher tempo, it was very much like the Tigers of old. Mauger needs to realise that in an English winter, it is what is needed in the conditions.

I agree with a lot of other posters that we left too much on the bench, finishers are wasted when the game is already lost. Any remote chance disappeared when Sam went off.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

i have always had the view that our pack is not big, ugly or smart enough to compete at the top level. The false dawn against average sides in Gloucester, Bristol and Quins is exactly that....false.

I don't believe that we have 8 players that can make a pack of forwards anywhere near good enough. Regardless of the combinations they are bullied by every top side they have come up against.

Coaching? To some extent, but for me it's recruitment were the fundamental problem lies.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.