Are you watching Warren Gatland?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Are you watching Warren Gatland?

Post by mightymouse »

Well you are because I can see you you are sat there. The point is are you taking notice....

MORE SCOTS LESS WELSH!!!

Finn Russell brilliant again

The Grays, WATSON, Hogg , Seymour Visser, Barclay

All brilliant

Second half only one team in it
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Are you watching Warren Gatland?

Post by tigerburnie »

Don't expect him to select more than 2 of those, you can guarantee there'll be more Welsh than any others, objectionable man should never have got the job.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Can't see either of Gray brothers making it. Hardly made any metres and there are more potent locks around at the moment. Great performance by Scotland though. Love to see the Welsh beaten!
Give blood, play rugby!!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes the commentators constantly eulogise the Welsh players; Wyn Jones, Warburton, Tiperic, North, Biggar, Webb, Owens etc...but so far they've only beaten Italy!

Let's hope Gatland really was watching!!
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Irish back row playing well, like their winger(number8)Heaslip.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The default state for Gatland is Welsh and I have no doub he will load his selection with most of the Welsh team. Jiffy and Butler know no better anyway, Butler incapable of rectifying his bias.

PS Gatland's Law? Halfpenny is the answer to that joke.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The Welsh always flatter to deceive. Yes they have some good players but they are not winners. The Welsh regions fail in Europe every year and the national team just can't beat a team from the southern hemisphere (except SA last Autumn, but Italy did as well!), so why would a Lions team with lots of Welshmen do well in NZ?

The Lions team will be made up mainly of English and Irish with a sprinkling of Scots and Welsh. I hope.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote:The Welsh always flatter to deceive. Yes they have some good players but they are not winners. The Welsh regions fail in Europe every year and the national team just can't beat a team from the southern hemisphere (except SA last Autumn, but Italy did as well!), so why would a Lions team with lots of Welshmen do well in NZ?

The Lions team will be made up mainly of English and Irish with a sprinkling of Scots and Welsh. I hope.
Don;t bet on it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

jgriffin wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:The Welsh always flatter to deceive. Yes they have some good players but they are not winners. The Welsh regions fail in Europe every year and the national team just can't beat a team from the southern hemisphere (except SA last Autumn, but Italy did as well!), so why would a Lions team with lots of Welshmen do well in NZ?

Don;t bet on it.
My mortgage! :smt002
Soggypitch
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

The biggest concern for me, is the constant hype surrounding Wyn-Jones as Lions skipper, but given the fact we have Itoje, Kruis, Launchberry, Lawes and the Gray brothers in the mix for test locks, is Wyn-Jones even worth a starting test spot.
This is a big issue for me this tour, no proven outstanding captaincy candidates.
Wyn-Jones and Hartley have been the constant suggestions, but in truth I feel there are better options to start the tests in their positions. Picking a captain who isn't the best in his position is wrong.
Of the four home unions current skippers, I don't feel any would be banker test starters. George is currently the form hooker, so that rules out Hartley and Best. The locks I've mentioned above would all get in before Wyn-Jones for me. Murray, Webb and Youngs would all start before Laidlaw. Warburton, as a man with previous experience, again, don't see him as a starter.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39092731
Seems Wyn Jones is not in charge of his own team, bizarre that the skippers call, which we all heard, was over ruled by Biggar!!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

You'd have thought that discussion should have taken place prior to making the call. I've captained sides, and I'd ask my kicker if he thought it was within his range prior to making the call. Players may not have agreed with my decisions at times, and told me, but ultimately respected that my decision was the final decision.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think I was shot sown in flames for suggesting Wales grand slams were more of an example of how poorly the other teams were playing than them being that good.

Not sure about France but Scotland, Ireland and England have stepped up and the 6N is a lot more exciting for it.
Beyond Halfpenny and some of their back rowers I doubt Gatland will be picking too many.
The bulk will come from England and Ireland with a few Scots and Welsh players.
Injuries may change that.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Of all the Welshmen have always rated Warburton who should have been a consideration for Lions Captain (making the Wyn Jones change odd) .. however yesterday he was totally eclipsed by Hamish Watson.

North who was a fine player 4 years ago, has been totally overhyped by Butler et al but yesterday Visser (not even Scotland's first choice winger) skinned him on a number of occasions.

Don't get me started on Butler . Listening to him drives me insane.. I often turn him down and put the radio commentary on instead even though it's out of sync. I'm not keen on Cotter (the comentater not the coach!) But I would pray for him rather than put up with Butler.

Actually I think the commentators should be neutral and then one sumeriser of each country to provide balance.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The only two Welsh players who should be in the Lions team are Liam Williams and Rhys Webb, Wyn Jones for me is over hyped, there are far better lock options out there, as for Lions captain I would hand it to Stuart Hogg, the guy is a class act and is a certain at full back. I can tho see Gatland flooding his team with Welsh players, North, Wyn Jones, Warburton, J Davis will all get undeserved spots in the team.