Cole,Sinckler,McGraph,Furlong,Mako,Marler
Itoje,Kruis,Lawes,Launchbury,J.Gray,Henderson
SOB,Stander,Billy V,Warburton,Faletau,Tipuric,Haskell
Webb,Youngs,Murray
Farrell,Sexton,Russell
Henshaw,Dunbar,Daly,JJ,Davies
Nowell,Williams,Hogg,Watson,Seymour,Brown
Good job you ain't Lions Coach then.
Hartley, Marler, Kruis, JJ, Watson, Brown shouldn't and probably won't be there. North will, and given Gatland's tendencies, the second string scrummie from Maesteg 2nds might get a look in.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Are you watching Warren Gatland?

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Healy, McGrath, Vunipola
Best, George, Hartley
Cole, Furlong, Nel
Kruis, Itoje
Gray, Launchberry
Moriarty, Stander
O'Brien, Tipuric
Faletau, Heaslip, Vunipola
Murray, Webb, Youngs
Biggar, Russell, Sexton
North, Visser
Farrell, Henshaw
Daly, Davies, Dunbar/Ringrose/Scott
Seymour/Nowell, Watson
Hogg, Williams

That's my 37. Listed alphabetically by position, no favouritism yet.
Time to amend that, may swap Fraser Brown for Hartley, and may swap Biggar for an extra outside back.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

If Ireland beat Wales on Friday night I should think Howley's future will be looking a lot less bright! And Alex King isn't exactly excelling himself after his departure from Saints!

It will be interesting to see if Gatland picks anyone not currently playing for their country like he did last time. I think it was only the one, but there may be the odd wild card in his selection.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kruis shouldn't be there jgriffin? Really?! Proves to me how much you know about rugby! What about JJ,the worlds best defender in the 13 channel? Who in front of Brown? Halfpenny the kicker who won't be kicking so what does he offer? Tackling with his head on the wrong side?! Hartley? Would you prefer AWJ as captain then who is our 8th best lock? Best? Who's arrows fall apart when under pressure. Don't just say why they shouldn't be in in a sarcastic tone,explain why and who you would have instead please?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

WUM, Scott1, it's a pleasure. You take the bait every time and go to DefCon 10.
Kris has been too injured and despite being a excellent player will be left for an inferior Welshman 'for balance'.
Last edited by jgriffin on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jgfriffin you got me lol! This is my greatest fear though,we have a pack to rival NZ and our replacement forwards will be better. Backs will be some way behind but we could at least be more than competitive but I can see WG royally fcucking this up,I never wanted him and have two bets. One that we will lose the tour 9-1 and another 8-2,with the ABs being released for the midweek games I can easily see them turning over our dirt trackers!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

All this frantic and excited opinion and debate (usually tinged with nationalistic bias) reminds me of why I have never warmed to the Lions. It's a deeply flawed concept i.m.o. and always has been. What did those Irish chaps think they were playing for back in the days when it was "The British Lions". Of course it's The British & Irish Lions now but why not go the whole hog,include the French and call it the Northern Lions? The flaw is symbolised by the problem of finding an anthem to sing before the game. Anyway why do we feel it is necessary to combine FOUR Northern rugby-playing nations to play ONE southern rugby-playing nation?

To me it is demeaning and absurd to combine the enormous financial and playing resources of England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland to play a country of 4 million people. Yes 4 million is the population of NZ roughly the same as the population of South London. It's even more ridiculous when we tour Australia with its tiny number of professional Rugby Union players.

I thought that the Lions concept was an anachronism that would decline and disappear in the professional era (cf Barbarians & Varsity rugby) but of course with Sky support it certainly hasn't. So I realise that among rugby supporters I'm in a minority but are there other Lions-sceptics out there who can't be doing with futile arguments about who is the best lock/captain/winger etc.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Jacko27 wrote:All this frantic and excited opinion and debate (usually tinged with nationalistic bias) reminds me of why I have never warmed to the Lions. It's a deeply flawed concept i.m.o. and always has been. What did those Irish chaps think they were playing for back in the days when it was "The British Lions". Of course it's The British & Irish Lions now but why not go the whole hog,include the French and call it the Northern Lions?
I have a book on the 1977 Lions tour (not a great tour) & at the time it was the "British Isles Rugby Union Team" which led to the acronym BIRUT, which I think is still used, but "British Isles" is a geographical rather than a political description and the island of Ireland is one of the British Isles (Great Britain being the biggest of these isles), so Irish players have always had the right to participate. Don't know why it changed since it wa a perfectly adequate name.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jacko27 wrote:All this frantic and excited opinion and debate (usually tinged with nationalistic bias) reminds me of why I have never warmed to the Lions. It's a deeply flawed concept i.m.o. and always has been. What did those Irish chaps think they were playing for back in the days when it was "The British Lions". Of course it's The British & Irish Lions now but why not go the whole hog,include the French and call it the Northern Lions? The flaw is symbolised by the problem of finding an anthem to sing before the game. Anyway why do we feel it is necessary to combine FOUR Northern rugby-playing nations to play ONE southern rugby-playing nation?

To me it is demeaning and absurd to combine the enormous financial and playing resources of England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland to play a country of 4 million people. Yes 4 million is the population of NZ roughly the same as the population of South London. It's even more ridiculous when we tour Australia with its tiny number of professional Rugby Union players.

I thought that the Lions concept was an anachronism that would decline and disappear in the professional era (cf Barbarians & Varsity rugby) but of course with Sky support it certainly hasn't. So I realise that among rugby supporters I'm in a minority but are there other Lions-sceptics out there who can't be doing with futile arguments about who is the best lock/captain/winger etc.
The logical extension to your argument is to stop British participation in the Olympics
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If you don't get the Lions then I suspect you have never been. Having had the privilege of travelling to both South Africa and Australia with the Lions I can tell you it is one of the greatest sporting occasions that you can witness. It is that very diversity and yet unity that makes it so wonderful and the atmosphere so thrilling.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mightymouse wrote:If you don't get the Lions then I suspect you have never been. Having had the privilege of travelling to both South Africa and Australia with the Lions I can tell you it is one of the greatest sporting occasions that you can witness. It is that very diversity and yet unity that makes it so wonderful and the atmosphere so thrilling.
Excellent point and also the New Zealand public love The Lions
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Jacko27 wrote:All this frantic and excited opinion and debate (usually tinged with nationalistic bias) reminds me of why I have never warmed to the Lions. It's a deeply flawed concept i.m.o. and always has been. What did those Irish chaps think they were playing for back in the days when it was "The British Lions". Of course it's The British & Irish Lions now but why not go the whole hog,include the French and call it the Northern Lions? The flaw is symbolised by the problem of finding an anthem to sing before the game. Anyway why do we feel it is necessary to combine FOUR Northern rugby-playing nations to play ONE southern rugby-playing nation?

I agree with this. It's an anachronistic gravy train that is at odds with player welfare imho
Humbug
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well I for one love the Lions and can't wait for the tour. The debate about the make up of the squad/team/skipper is all part of it and very enjoyable!

It's the pinnacle of a players career (if from the British Isles) and long may it continue!!

The 1997 Living With The Lions video is much loved in our family, by both the older and younger members, one day (perhaps in 4 years) I hope to have the money and time to go on tour, everyone I know that's done so has had an amazing time.
Soggypitch
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Surprised Hamish Watson isn't in a few peoples squads. He's been the best back row on the park vs the Irish and the Welsh, and comprehensively outplayed Robshaw for Edinburgh v Harlequins.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's irrelevant. Whatever the squad you can guarantee there'll be between 3 and half a dozen too many Welshmen. One of whom will be Jamie Roberts.