Mike Brown

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mike Brown

Post by fortysix »

A very well connected source tells me we are signing Mike Brown.
If its true, you read it here first
Oh and the Glos No 8 Kala ....which we are aware of anyway!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Brown

Post by Noddy555 »

Forty six if that's true that is good news. He has been England's best fullback for at least the last 7 years, but he would do well to displace Telusa Veianu whose performance on Saturday was magical.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A current international with the 2nd ranked team in the world in a position we need more depth in - I should be really excited!

I'm not.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote:A current international with the 2nd ranked team in the world in a position we need more depth in - I should be really excited!

I'm not.
Jason Woodward, yes. Mike Brown.....meh.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I do like Brown and still think he has a huge amount to offer - especially at Premiership level - but I'm a bit confused by this if true. TV's best position is full back, as most of us have know for a while, and he should be first choice if fit. I'd have him ahead of Brown too, for the x-factor he offers us, even if he's not quite such a safe bet under the high ball. Can't see him coming to be second choice, which raises worries about where the coaches see TV's best position or, worse, raises questions about his future at the club.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Throws us a wobbly if true....or a clue to next DOR/Head coach?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

How long is left on TV's contract, best attacking 15 in the prem, non-debatable.
Hope he stays but he's a footballer, he'll be on big money for Sarries in no time.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:How long is left on TV's contract, best attacking 15 in the prem, non-debatable.
Hope he stays but he's a footballer, he'll be on big money for Sarries in no time.
The best we have had since Jacoman
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

I like TV but would want him on the wing in "big" games where he can roam on to the ball in attack but his relative frailty under the high ball wouldn't be exposed so much - against most Prem sides he's very good but against the top one she'd get peppered - As such I'm unsurprised to see us looking at someone like Brown to replace Tait as that steady (but still very good) option which frees TV up for the wing/2nd choice FB is a very decent option to have.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

He seems to display that "Tigerish" attitude, if true then fine for me, gives us options, but I guess he won't come cheap.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

kornboy130 wrote:I like TV but would want him on the wing in "big" games where he can roam on to the ball in attack but his relative frailty under the high ball wouldn't be exposed so much - against most Prem sides he's very good but against the top one she'd get peppered - As such I'm unsurprised to see us looking at someone like Brown to replace Tait as that steady (but still very good) option which frees TV up for the wing/2nd choice FB is a very decent option to have.
Completely agree.

If this rumour is true, I for one will be very pleased. He's a winner and we need more of those at Tigers.
Soggypitch
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Soggypitch wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:I like TV but would want him on the wing in "big" games where he can roam on to the ball in attack but his relative frailty under the high ball wouldn't be exposed so much - against most Prem sides he's very good but against the top one she'd get peppered - As such I'm unsurprised to see us looking at someone like Brown to replace Tait as that steady (but still very good) option which frees TV up for the wing/2nd choice FB is a very decent option to have.
Completely agree.

If this rumour is true, I for one will be very pleased. He's a winner and we need more of those at Tigers.
+1 He does have a bit of an attitude at times, but a total winner, He must come at some cost though.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

TV probably has at least 1 more year on his contract.

He said last season this is the club he wants to spend the rest of his career at, obviously things change and Cockers has gone, but one thing about the South Pacific Islanders is they are loyal men. He also seems to have a lot of friends here and is well loved by the fans which he reciprocates.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Think Veainu signed a 3 year contract, so I THINK he has 2 more seasons left.

Brown on a 2 year deal gives time for Worth to develop and should also be able to rotate him.

9) Youngs, Harrison, Kitto
10) Ford, ?, Hardwick
11) Veainu, Brady, Yawayawa
12) Toomua, Smith
13) Manu, Betham, Thacker
14) JPP, Thompstone, Catchpole
15) Brown, Worth,

Add in a 10/12 and maybe another winger and we should be golden backs wise.

Trouble with Brown is he isn't a versatile player though.

Think after this season Woodward will be out of our budget range whereas Brown prob not.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I looked for some reference to the length of contract that TV signed in Jan 2016 but all I can find is that it runs'beyond the length of the current season' which is pretty meaningless.
I like Brown as a player but don't see the need for him when we have Veianu and Worth, and therefore the money could be better used elsewhere.