Mike Brown

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Mike Brown

Post by chris111 »

fortysix wrote:A very well connected source tells me we are signing Mike Brown.
If its true, you read it here first
Oh and the Glos No 8 Kala ....which we are aware of anyway!
I must be doing something wrong....I've been going to WR for the best part of 20 years and have never had the merest hint from one of these well-connected sources, yet this message board seems to provide a perpetual flood from them! Mind you, my time has comprised of around 15 years on the terrace followed by a switch to the Crumbie cheap seats when my knees gave out, so that might explain it.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading the speculation about how Mike Brown might fit in here, but refrain from passing an opinion until the journalistic threshold of three separate - and independently verifiable - sources has been reached!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Not wanting to be rude 46, I am sure you must have a reliable source to post this. I see this as unlikely and at the same time positive. Tigers get wind that a starting member of the 2nd best team in international rugby may become available and look in to it. Shows a good deal of intent to bring the very best players here. If it comes off on our terms, great. If it's his agents ploy to up his salary - see ya....
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

chris111 wrote:
fortysix wrote:A very well connected source tells me we are signing Mike Brown.
If its true, you read it here first
Oh and the Glos No 8 Kala ....which we are aware of anyway!
I must be doing something wrong....I've been going to WR for the best part of 20 years and have never had the merest hint from one of these well-connected sources, yet this message board seems to provide a perpetual flood from them! Mind you, my time has comprised of around 15 years on the terrace followed by a switch to the Crumbie cheap seats when my knees gave out, so that might explain it.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading the speculation about how Mike Brown might fit in here, but refrain from passing an opinion until the journalistic threshold of three separate - and independently verifiable - sources has been reached!
Here's an example of how it works. You said "Flood" which obviously means that you are surreptitiously hinting that Toby is on his way back. I'll quote you as an anonymous, yet well-connected source and the cycle is repeated :smt002
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Interesting reading through the mixed reaction on this one!
I get that he isn't exactly a spring chicken and wouldn't be cheap, it might only be two or three years but you can't keep looking too far ahead and forget the now!
If he was available then why wouldn't you try and sign Brown!
He is rock solid under the high ball and brings it back with interest.
The perfect foil really behind Ford at 10 and if you are looking to build a very attacking team and wanted the likes of Veainu on the wing then getting the right full back is important, and I'd assume the ball will make it to the wing a lot more with Ford at 10 so Veainu could be a positive move to the wing in that respect!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I mean he is very good. But Veainu is on another level. Both are internationals so would be away a lot. Doesn't make much sense for the player to me.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

He is a high quality alternative Spicer.
Players will not play in every game with rotation and injuries etc.
There would be games when Veainu could do his thing from deep and then other games when perhaps another horse is better suited to the course.
If I recall correctly Quins have got the odd result over Sarries in recent times, I'm sure it'd be interesting to look closer at the part Brown had to play!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Seems odd: not the type of player we'd target but if he was unhappy at Quins and his agent approached us, why would you not consider someone with 270 club appearances for a quality side and 50+ international caps?
Hell, considering the complaints that we can't attract top players, even a tenuous link is a positive in my book!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

According to Quins' unoffy, he extended on 11th November 2015. No mention of the duration
http://m.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s ... 0,15218525

Edit: this from the offy
http://www.quins.co.uk/news/england-ful ... arlequins/
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Are we sure that is true and not just a rumour because there has been no comment from the player and none from his club Harlequins?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

If we bring in a 15 he has to be a goalkicker. Positional versatility would help too.

There was rather a useful one on show on Saturday. I'd venture he'd be a better player to chase than Brown (although I'd go as far to say Brown wouldn't be a bad signing, but our back three needs more relative youth perhaps rather than 30+ players).
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Trump's Fake News?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote:Trump's Fake News?
Unlikely - that would make the story true but condemned as 'fake' by the Trump-Numpty
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

BFG wrote:He is a high quality alternative Spicer.
Players will not play in every game with rotation and injuries etc.
There would be games when Veainu could do his thing from deep and then other games when perhaps another horse is better suited to the course.
If I recall correctly Quins have got the odd result over Sarries in recent times, I'm sure it'd be interesting to look closer at the part Brown had to play!
Oh I agree. My point was that for Mike Brown it doesn't make sense. He is first choice at Harlequins, here he would rotate with Veainu. I think players would do it if either moving for big money or for trophies. With Ford, Manu, Toouma etc on the books I doubt we could offer him that much. At Quins he is a star so will be one of the highest earners. As for trophies... we don't look like winning anything. :smt044
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A big club in a rebuilding phase like Tigers is going to be brought up in the rumour mill by every decent agent hoping to bump up their client contract value.
No doubt agents will be mentioning Sarries and Bath too.

Whether there is any truth in it is not clear.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Interesting to see the mixed reaction. Why wouldn't you want the current England 15? Eddie Jones clearly rates him and he's a great attacking full back. His scoring record is strong: 10 tries in 51 England games (so-so) but 51 from 184 Quins starts. Good defender too.

I'd agree he is a 15 and I hate it when we stick TV on the wing (he needs ball in space and gets far more at 15)... but what is not to like about having both options?