Mike Brown

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Brown

Post by Hot_Charlie »

MrPartridge wrote:Interesting to see the mixed reaction. Why wouldn't you want the current England 15? Eddie Jones clearly rates him and he's a great attacking full back. His scoring record is strong: 10 tries in 51 England games (so-so) but 51 from 184 Quins starts. Good defender too.

I'd agree he is a 15 and I hate it when we stick TV on the wing (he needs ball in space and gets far more at 15)... but what is not to like about having both options?
He may be the England 15 but the selection of the England team is somewhat different from a club. If a player becomes unavailable then EJ just picks another from the squad or, in the worst case, just goes into the AP and brings in the next in line from outside the EPS. That's a luxury that would be different to a club. It would be more difficult to justify paying international wages to a player who (really) only has one position and is well on the wrong side of 30. There are probably better options for the money, be they elsewhere in the AP, abroad or in the academy.

If Mike Brown is Quins through and through and so valuable, why would they be willing to let him leave? He would be a useful mentor perhaps, but then the club already has a 70+ cap full back on the coaching staff.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Wasn't there a story that Quins have secured Woodward should Bristol go down, maybe that's why they're potentially making space.
Failing that, at 31, maybe Brown is just angling for a big final deal?
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Is there actually anything to this story? It does appear that all is not well at Quins but I'd be very surprised if we looked twice.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Spicer wrote:
BFG wrote:He is a high quality alternative Spicer.
Players will not play in every game with rotation and injuries etc.
There would be games when Veainu could do his thing from deep and then other games when perhaps another horse is better suited to the course.
If I recall correctly Quins have got the odd result over Sarries in recent times, I'm sure it'd be interesting to look closer at the part Brown had to play!
Oh I agree. My point was that for Mike Brown it doesn't make sense. He is first choice at Harlequins, here he would rotate with Veainu. I think players would do it if either moving for big money or for trophies. With Ford, Manu, Toouma etc on the books I doubt we could offer him that much. At Quins he is a star so will be one of the highest earners. As for trophies... we don't look like winning anything. :smt044
I have no idea what we could offer him financially but I expect he will want to stay in England until 2019.
If as rumoured Woodward could be on his way to Quins if Bristol go down then none of the rest of the top teams desperately need a full back, the choice for Brown is limited so I doubt it'll become an auction.
Some reckon we need a 15 who kicks off the tee, are there any, and I firmly believe that responsibility will be with Ford anyway!
I also think Veainu can be just as dangerous playing on the wing and he is Wade-esque in that area!
Brown would also bring some serious attitude with him, he is on a par with Farrell in that regard!
All that apart it's rare to have all fit and available at any one time these days!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

As a matter of interest, does anyone know which position Veainu prefers to play - full-back or wing?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote: Some reckon we need a 15 who kicks off the tee, are there any, and I firmly believe that responsibility will be with Ford anyway!
Apart from when he's away with England. but, if there's a better kicker in the side, whatever number they wear, surely you use them?

England do. :smt001
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

To those scheduled as Noddy555 and Lammy, who ask if this true or a rumour, I have copied the OP:

"A very well connected source tells me we are signing Mike Brown.
If its true, you read it here first"

So, at present, it's a rumour.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Cagey Tiger wrote:To those scheduled as Noddy555 and Lammy, who ask if this true or a rumour, I have copied the OP:

"A very well connected source tells me we are signing Mike Brown.
If its true, you read it here first"

So, at present, it's a rumour.
Well done. I am expressing my own opinion of said rumour- I'd be very surprised if we were looking at Brown.
DC1989

Post by DC1989 »

Can't see it happening, was documented at some point last season that Mike Brown is on £320k per season at Harlequins - assuming he doesn't want to take a pay cut then surely we can't get tying that much salary cap up when clearly needs are greater elsewhere...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

And now Fissler joins in...

"Who asked me about Mike Brown the other day. Cheers"

(No idea what he means!)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

DC1989 wrote:Can't see it happening, was documented at some point last season that Mike Brown is on £320k per season at Harlequins - assuming he doesn't want to take a pay cut then surely we can't get tying that much salary cap up when clearly needs are greater elsewhere...
At 31 he isn't going to get that money again, and I honestly can't see him holding onto the 15 shirt till 2019 with Daley and Watson, to name 2 around. EJ does tend to do things by evolution rather than revolution.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Strawclearer if I remember correctly when last season Veianu was interviewed by LTTV he stated that his preferred position was on the wing and if Brown does come he could possibly be there but he will have strong opposition from JPP and Adam Thompstone who are currently both in good form.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't think we should be saying things like "If we sign player X then where does player Y fit in?"

If we can have Mike Brown and Telusa Veianu as our full back options then that's an option we should take.

Look at Wasps backs. They have Beale at full back and now have Le Roux.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:Strawclearer if I remember correctly when last season Veianu was interviewed by LTTV he stated that his preferred position was on the wing and if Brown does come he could possibly be there but he will have strong opposition from JPP and Adam Thompstone who are currently both in good form.
Yes - not many sides will have 4 better wingers than Veainu, JPP, Thompstone and Betham. (Still like TV at 15 though!)
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agreed Steawclearer but if Brown comes he will only play at fullback if Brown is injured or away on international duty.