We could get second place

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: We could get second place

Post by Tigerbeat »

Already got Tickets for final.....great annual day out.....with Veanu and JPP returning to fitness that could prove decisive on the run in.....
Quins next week is a must win in order to carry the momentum, build confidence and keep on the heels of the top four.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

There's everything to play for. Look at the top 8. Look at how many of the Top 4 they each have yet to play (before this evening):

Wasps have to play only one other top 4 side (Sarries) which imho makes them favourites.
Sarries have two to play (Wasps and Bath)
Exeter have none - they've already played the other three in the top 4 so have the best run-in.
Bath have only one - Sarries
Tigers have two top 4 sides left to play - Exeter (H) and Bath (HQ)
Quins and Gloucester both have all of the top 4 left to play - tough run-ins although Glaws won the first of theirs today!
Saints have three of the top 4 still to play.

So - it's between Wasps, Sarries, Exeter, Bath and us which is pretty much what most of us said at the start! I don't think there will be any real threat from those below the current top 5.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:
ourla wrote:I think someone is getting a little carried away.

Let's take one step at a time.
Who is getting carried away? I'm not! Second place definitely is achievable.
You are getting carried away.

Gloucester were poor last week. Prior to that we had two decent but not outstanding games in the AWC. Prior to that we had lost 6 out of 7 - some by big margins. We have sacked our DoR and defensive coach and are without our two star centres for the season. Yes, it's good to get TV and JPP back. Yes, I expect us to get 5 points against Bristol tomorrow. But then we face Quins, and Saints away, Bath on neutral territory and Chiefs at home. All tough matches at the best of times but after all that has gone before...

My hope is that we can build form and get a top 4 place. If building form means we end up putting together a string of W's with a few BP's to take us to second then hallelujah. It's achievable of course but not realistic IMO. And I still say anybody who says otherwise is getting a little over excited.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's not unrealistic though is it?

Worcester finishing in the top 2 is unrealistic. When we could be just 6 points off second place, that is not an unrealistic target. We may not get there but we definitely should be aiming for it now.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Need to understand the difference between possible and probable I think
I'm not cynical just experienced
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes agreed and nowhere have I said we probably will finish top 2. I said it's a realistic target.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

2nd week running where Saracens have made a lot of unforced errors.
One particular brain fart that springs to mind was Bosch's little chip out of his 22 which led indirectly to Gloucesters try.

Slight aside the injury to Burns Jnr looked awful, hope all is well
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Perhaps of more importantly the latest Saracens loss means they probably will not be able to rest players despite fighting on multiple fronts.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Calm down at the front. Fourth will be an achievement given the huge midseason chaos, and frankly I'm looking at Messrs Deacon, Stankovich, Murphy and Allen as major factors in stabilising us, along with the emergence of some real talent from the 2nds. Given I was feeling 5th or 6th would be likely, to look at a semi place will suit me when standing on the rails at Wuss for the final round match.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Mark62 wrote:Slight aside the injury to Burns Jnr looked awful, hope all is well
In the case of two brothers being at the same school at the same time, I believe the practice was to name the elder Major and the younger Minor. Therefore, Billy should be Minor Burns. :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Even without Cockers we can do this, he laid the ground works and now we are getting some injured players back to complete the job, Twickers here I come(not been to final in yonks)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not a chance of second haha! Good performance last week but Gloc were awful. Fourth is still miles away with our fixtures,Chiefs know they just have to keep kicking to the corners with our none existent maul defence and Bath at HQ is a toss up.Quins don't lose at home and Saints is a toss uptoo.Fifth for me this season which I'd be happy with,an away SF is usually an embarrassing hammering so as long as we get RCC rugby that's all that counts!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ellis9 wrote:Yes agreed and nowhere have I said we probably will finish top 2. I said it's a realistic target.
How come you are able to speculate in such an optimistic way when you shouted me down for speculating what might have happened if we had not taken that ridiculously negative penalty against Sarries, we could have had a home semi! Don't you think you ought to be consistent with your opinions, and accept that you are not always right?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Spot on LE18,Ellis has shot me down for my views before too in that bunch of three games where I got them all spot on bar I said we Wasps would get a TBP at the Ricoh.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote:Not a chance of second haha!
Nothing like positivity eh? :smt005

Where you say "not a chance", clearly you are wrong, as there is quite clearly a chance, even if only mathematically and whilst that chance still exists, no matter how slim, what is wrong with someone, anyone, believing it could happen? It's sad World where all some wish to do is crush hope.

As an aside, whilst it remains 'possible' does anyone on here think the team/coaches should just be saying "Ah it's not realistic, let's just aim for 6th...."? :smt009 (Euro CC Qualification should be baseline, the target should still be as high as we can go)

However, I do tend to agree that it is a very low probability as it is dependant on too many variables (other results) but who really saw Glaws beating Sarries last night? Especially after their performance against us last week? Not me!

I just don't see the point of being so negative, unless of course it's just an axe to grind issue, will never be able to change that outlook.

Or maybe I'm just not being 'realistic'........ :smt005 :smt005
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.