Jack Roberts leaving us

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amber

Re: Jack Roberts leaving us

Post by amber »

Shame Jack is leaving he was playing well.Still I don't blame him for wanting to further his career and fulfill his ambition to lay for Wales. Good luck we will miss you.
Last edited by amber on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

amber wrote:Shame Jack is leaving he was laying well.Still I don't blame him for wanting to further his career and fulfill his ambition to lay for Wales. Good luck we will miss you.
I think you need a p :smt001
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

LE18 wrote:
amber wrote:Shame Jack is leaving he was laying well.Still I don't blame him for wanting to further his career and fulfill his ambition to lay for Wales. Good luck we will miss you.
I think you need a p :smt001
Perhaps he knows something we don't :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Can't blame the lad. Ultimately if are two front line centres are fit he would never get a look in. I know we have been unlucky this past season or so with injuries at centre but it is quite possible both go through next season with no injuries in which case Jack would see hardly any game time. Centres also don't see a lot of bench action with guys more able to cover back three being preferred.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Shame but understandable when our centres are fit he may not get much game time.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

mol2 wrote:Shame but understandable when our centres are fit he may not get much game time.
Depends if Toomua is seen as back up FH to Ford, because if he is then that's a significant chunk of the season with Ford away on international duty. And I also suspect a fit Manu would also be called away. Leaving plenty of potential game time.

Not to mention that our squad being fully fit is about as likely to happen as an Italian Grand Slam....

Whilst on the subject of replacements, however, I wonder if we should be looking at Socino at Falcons. He's been consistently excellent for them for several seasons, he's a useful goal-kicker (in case of Fordy yips) and with Ford, Tooua and Socino in the squad we would always be able to play a couple of play-makers at 10 and 12. With Socino in particular also being a very strong and dangerous runner.

He's not far off Roberts' build as well, and it's always fun seeing stocky little guys barreling through bigger players. And milking high-tackle penalties, too!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Isn't Deano fed up with us cherry picking his squad?

Agree though. Socino is a little ball of energy and could add value seeing as the 2017/18 squad currently has 1 recognised front line kicker (and Worth wasn't given the opportunities in the AWC). He may quite like the idea of playing 12 to Mermoz's 13 though.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm sad he's going. I like his hustle and bustle style. There doesn't seem to be much continuity in our backs at the moment. Perhaps I'll pop down to the Arms Park and say hi?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

mol2 wrote:Shame but understandable when our centres are fit he may not get much game time.
Agree, with the best will in the world, he will be a squad player, we have seen a bit more recently due to the well documented squad injuries. He may get more starts which I get, but is very unlikely to progress internationally. My fear for him is he may be the same as Blane Scully who was in a similar situation, he appears to have disappeared, I can't remember the last time I heard his name and Cardiff in the same sentence. I haven't researched it, but does he still play there?

When you read this forum, anyone that leaves is the start of the end of the world, people move on, these vacancies create opportunities for others. The Mermoz thing is a case in point, he was signed as injury dispensation, perhaps the Falcons thing wasn't wholly complete, but I would guess that it was pretty much done, why stress about it, there does appear to be a very high and unjustified perception by some fans that why would anyone not want to come to Tigers and stay for their whole (short) career; and why would anyone want to leave Tigers (and if they do it's someone's fault!).

A bit of reigning the neck in and a reality check pill is needed. Perhaps if the latter were branded with. Tigers logo and sold in the club shop it may sell well!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

grobyman wrote:My fear for him is he may be the same as Blane Scully who was in a similar situation, he appears to have disappeared, I can't remember the last time I heard his name and Cardiff in the same sentence. I haven't researched it, but does he still play there?
15 appearances this season, scoring 4 tries - mostly playing 80 minutes.

I think many of us are guilty of only seeing the world through the eye of the Tigers - we ignore the Pro 12 and Challenge Cup.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote:
grobyman wrote:My fear for him is he may be the same as Blane Scully who was in a similar situation, he appears to have disappeared, I can't remember the last time I heard his name and Cardiff in the same sentence. I haven't researched it, but does he still play there?
15 appearances this season, scoring 4 tries - mostly playing 80 minutes.

I think many of us are guilty of only seeing the world through the eye of the Tigers - we ignore the Pro 12 and Challenge Cup.
Beat me to it ourla!
Bubble burst grobyman!
I quite liked Scully to be fair.
Always had doubts about a backline of ex-Tigers and I don't expect everyone to always stay.
I think grobyman is quite a bit wide of the mark up there but certainly a very tasty looking backline of ex-Tigers plus subs emerging more recently, we ain't half shipped some pace out recently and likely about a million quid less expensive!
Who cares though if Tigers are winning!