Thank You Freddie Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank You Freddie Burns

Post by Doghashadhisday »

I think Freddie Burns has given his all for the Tigers this season despite the team playing badly. I dont think he has given up trying and with Thompstone has been consistent. I for one wish him well at Bath and sorry to see him go. Let's cheer Freddie for his final games for Tigers.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Thank You Freddie Burns

Post by tigerburnie »

Yep thanks Freddie, though I don't want you playing well at Barf................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Doghashadhisday wrote:I think Freddie Burns has given his all for the Tigers this season despite the team playing badly. I dont think he has given up trying and with Thompstone has been consistent. I for one wish him well at Bath and sorry to see him go. Let's cheer Freddie for his final games for Tigers.
+1 :smt022
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes really sad to see him go, but disappointed he didn't stay and fight for his place.

Sarries have Lozowski/Farrell, Wasps Cips/Gopperth, Bath Ford(Burns)/Priestland it could have worked with the two of them, shame.
Soggypitch
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Really sad to see him go as well. Can understand why. Has more of a chance of being first choice at Bath than here. He worked hard at getting better and did get better.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Very sorry to lose Freddie - proper Tiger in his short time with us and would have loved to see him 'morph' into Smurf at 15 covering 10. Nevertheless - pleased we're welcoming back young Ford and hope he earns his 'Georgie, Georgie, Georgie' moment from the Crumbie faithful as Freddie did!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote:Yes really sad to see him go, but disappointed he didn't stay and fight for his place.

Sarries have Lozowski/Farrell, Wasps Cips/Gopperth, Bath Ford(Burns)/Priestland it could have worked with the two of them, shame.
Don't be naive, this was the deal with Bath, Fred had no say in it and what he has said has made it clear he wanted to stay, but was shafted/used as a bargaining chip.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No say in it? So Cohen was blatantly lying at the Forum then?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ford either had a get out clause in his contract or he didn't. If he did then he could choose his new club presumably.

I'm sure Bath wanted the swap but I don't believe we had to let FB go, nor do I believe he had to go. Was he out of contract?

Personally I don't regard it as shafting Freddie, to bring George in, unless it was a condition of the whole deal, but how could that be?

The truth will out at some point no doubt.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote:Ford either had a get out clause in his contract or he didn't. If he did then he could choose his new club presumably.

I'm sure Bath wanted the swap but I don't believe we had to let FB go, nor do I believe he had to go. Was he out of contract?

Personally I don't regard it as shafting Freddie, to bring George in, unless it was a condition of the whole deal, but how could that be?

The truth will out at some point no doubt.
I agree there; Bath played hardball in public, but I'm sure the deal was always on when there were bargaining chips to play, Craig's a businessman and businesspeople love a deal. What you see in public is never the actuality.
Fred has made several protestations about respect, promises etc., so I would be pleased to hear the truth.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I repeat jgriffin,so Cohen was blatantly lying at the forum then?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:Yes really sad to see him go, but disappointed he didn't stay and fight for his place.

Don't be naive, this was the deal with Bath, Fred had no say in it and what he has said has made it clear he wanted to stay, but was shafted/used as a bargaining chip.
Its my understanding that rugby players cannot be bought and sold as per football and even in the latter sport its subject to players agreement. At the end of the day slavery was abolished centuries ago. Therefore, Freddy ultimately must have had his say in agreeing to it or not.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Very, very sorry to see you go, Freddie.

Many players pass through Welford Road, but not many are thought of as true Tigers. You are, as shown by your determination, doggedness and whole hearted committed to a club, which I fear has now somewhat let you down.

I can never be a Bath supporter Freddie, but I certainly wish you well - Austin thinks you will be a great fit there, and who am I to argue with Leicesters best ever player (who said that? Austin?).

All the best Freddie.
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

..and from the man himself:

"From the bottom of my heart I'd like the thank both the Tigers and Bath Rugby supporters for the messages I have received. Today a childhood dream has been realised. Next season I will get to run out for my hometown club. Bath is a club that matches my ambition to win and I'm excited for what lays ahead with them as well as trying to bring a successful end to my time at Tigers. I hold the coaches, players and, especially, the supporters at Tigers in the highest regard and will always be thankful for the chance to represent this club. I'll be 100% committed till my last day as a tiger.

Thank you!"

:smt039
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

jgriffin wrote:

I also think the fact that it was stated a deal was agreed with Bath but not a contract with Ford would lend credibility to your viewpoint JG,as I am sure Ford would not have stipulated that Freddie had to leave before he signed the contract therefore Freddie must have been offered to Bath as part of the deal.