The end for Hartley

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

The end for Hartley

Post by Mark62 »

Hate to bring up the subject again but he lasted 46 minutes against the Welsh and George was leagues better when he came on. Surely Jones has to start George against the Italians, and while he's at it stop Hughes running upright into contact upright or he will continually get smashed
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The end for Hartley

Post by Spicer »

He probably will for Italy. It will be the match afterwards (Scotland) that we will really see if he is sticking with Hartley or switching for George.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Spicer wrote:He probably will for Italy. It will be the match afterwards (Scotland) that we will really see if he is sticking with Hartley or switching for George.
It's a good point wouldn't mind seeing Itoje back in the row for the Italians with a back row of Williams Haskell and Clifford
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Mark62 wrote:
Spicer wrote:He probably will for Italy. It will be the match afterwards (Scotland) that we will really see if he is sticking with Hartley or switching for George.
It's a good point wouldn't mind seeing Itoje back in the row for the Italians with a back row of Williams Haskell and Clifford
I thought Clifford was a real disappointment. I suspect Haskell will start at 7.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Isn't it weird how people see different things in a game. I thought he had a good game and would have taken Hughes off before him.
But that is one of the beauties of the game
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If we accept that they are the two best hookers and George is better than Hartley, does it make more sense to use him for impact, something Hartley can't do?

England are wasting Itoje at 6. But with Haskell half fit and Robshaw out who else do they play at 6?

England clearly miss the presence of the Vunipola brothers. Hughes is good but Billy he is not.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Mark62 wrote:Isn't it weird how people see different things in a game. I thought he had a good game and would have taken Hughes off before him.
But that is one of the beauties of the game
I thought he looked a little overwhelmed by what is a very good Welsh back-row. Looking at the match stats he only made 5 tackles which for an open-side is not ideal. Only made 1 metre with ball in hand. Haskell made more tackles and carried more in time he was on.

I was really looking forward to England have a genuine 7 in the side.

I don't think Hughes had a great game but I think he is the only regular No8 in the squad?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

mol2 wrote:If we accept that they are the two best hookers and George is better than Hartley, does it make more sense to use him for impact, something Hartley can't do?

England are wasting Itoje at 6. But with Haskell half fit and Robshaw out who else do they play at 6?

England clearly miss the presence of the Vunipola brothers. Hughes is good but Billy he is not.
Itoje was wearing 6 but played most of the game in the second row.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Yes I noticed that Lawes seemed to be packing down at blind side
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote:If we accept that they are the two best hookers and George is better than Hartley, does it make more sense to use him for impact, something Hartley can't do?

Not sure they are the 2 hookers personally I'd have George starting and Taylor off the bench.
Agree with all your other pints though
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Mark62 wrote:

Not sure they are the 2 hookers personally I'd have George starting and Taylor off the bench.
Agree with all your other pints though
All other pints? We can all agree on that!!
I'd like to see Taylor in England colours too: Sale have clearly been worse without him and Wasps better
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As a person, who cannot stand Dylan and have always criticised his scrummaging, I have to say he had a good game, the commentators picked on one scrum where he hooked the ball and it went straight to the 8's feet, makes a change from the scrum half throwing it there. He tackled and carried and didn't stand up in the scrum every time, he was alright for me.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

tigerburnie wrote:As a person, who cannot stand Dylan and have always criticised his scrummaging, I have to say he had a good game, the commentators picked on one scrum where he hooked the ball and it went straight to the 8's feet, makes a change from the scrum half throwing it there. He tackled and carried and didn't stand up in the scrum every time, he was alright for me.
Disagree, TB.
I thought he was poor: slow and uncompetitive.
At one point before he was subbed, Wales made a clean break and Dullan jogged casually back, looking around for others to scramble. Personally, I think his goose is cooked at test level.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

tigerburnie wrote:As a person, who cannot stand Dylan and have always criticised his scrummaging, I have to say he had a good game, the commentators picked on one scrum where he hooked the ball and it went straight to the 8's feet, makes a change from the scrum half throwing it there. He tackled and carried and didn't stand up in the scrum every time, he was alright for me.
I take you're point and no he wasn't bad I just think George is so much better and how many other international captains get replaced, when they are not injured after 46 minutes of a close test match
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Who was the captain once Hartley went off?

I thought it would be one of the vice captains who I think are Farrell, GF and Brown.

When we had the pen to get back to 16-14 Owen appeared to check with someone off camera as to whether to go for the corner instead....so not him then, or were we led by committee :smt003